Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Snowy Mountain Brewery Given Parity Restrictions >

Snowy Mountain Brewery Given Parity Restrictions

Notices

Snowy Mountain Brewery Given Parity Restrictions

Old 04-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what makes a purpose-built Outerlimits raceboat anymore of a "shell" than a purpose-built Phantom and Extreme. It's not as if those boats have cabins up front.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

They should add a balast tank and fill it up at the end of the race.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I raced B class back in the day and had a blast. Few buddies pooling our paycheck and living the dream. Along comes the rich kids with new boats that are 10-15 miles an hour faster, and my racing days and many others were over. It s a tough call. Maybe if you were bracketed to only run so fast in the class it would make it more of a spectator sport. How far are racers going to drive if they know they dont have a chance?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 603 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
I see the name change took effect.
Yep, thanks
Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

In the end I'lll bet there's not one racer or team that does it for the money . I could be wrong but It just seams more like a sport for love then money . Just like my wife marring me , It sure as hell wasn't for the money !
What I was saying is if the economy was strong and boat builders were still selling boats as fast as they could build them that the manufactures could put time and money into the chase and try and build boats that run with the 29SVL and offer sponsorship money (discounted Pricing) to potential racers . But the way it stands now builders are just trying to survive .

Last edited by OCCJoe; 04-23-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

As a racer in this class for years there is a bigger problem you cant measure. Its called talent. How can you measure the advantage of a boat with all different talent levels in them. As an example there are 2 Fountain SVL's out there that are middle to back of the pack every race. The thing is one of those Fountains was owned by the Doc and it destroyed the class for several years. Know the million dollar question is why? If all is equal and tec say's there good then it has to be talent. If they imposed parity on the Fountain back then ,where would it be running today? My opinion is tighten the rules!! Any new boat with multiple steps should start off with some sort of disadvantage and then be brought up to speed if the disadvantage is not competitive. BUT you still are faced with the talent of the team as a HUGH factor. Will the parity be on just this team with a OL or every new boat sold to the class???? I personally think it SUCKS that any team that is following the stated rules be penalized for being to good. Change the rule book to reflect steps,lenght and weight at the beginning of the year.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, and Brian Forehand is one of the most talented V bottom drivers in the world. His record in wins is unmatched.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
As a racer in this class for years there is a bigger problem you cant measure. Its called talent. How can you measure the advantage of a boat with all different talent levels in them. As an example there are 2 Fountain SVL's out there that are middle to back of the pack every race. The thing is one of those Fountains was owned by the Doc and it destroyed the class for several years. Know the million dollar question is why? If all is equal and tec say's there good then it has to be talent. If they imposed parity on the Fountain back then ,where would it be running today? My opinion is tighten the rules!! Any new boat with multiple steps should start off with some sort of disadvantage and then be brought up to speed if the disadvantage is not competitive. BUT you still are faced with the talent of the team as a HUGH factor. Will the parity be on just this team with a OL or every new boat sold to the class???? I personally think it SUCKS that any team that is following the stated rules be penalized for being to good. Change the rule book to reflect steps,lenght and weight at the beginning of the year.
I agree with you 150% some people have more balls then brains and push a boat faster than others - I mean that in a good way!

You want offshore to be APBA style circle racing where a JS is 16', 283 cui, (or what it is today), allow only this exhaust, etc etc. I can go along with that BUT then you cripple what Fountain had built the Race on Saturday, Water Ski on Sunday which is the model for Cigarette, OL, Skater etc.

With rules like that then every racer needs to build a purpose built boat like a JS, SK or such OR there is one specific desgined of boat you are allowed to buy for each class and that is it. If you open the door to so many rules they won't be enforced as offshore boat racing has no money, time, people to do so. The "rich man's hobby" will go further backwards.

On a race course today with multi-classes running no one outside of this little slice of boating can tell who is in first anyway so I believe the "person running away from the pack causing people to become disinterested in offshore powerboat" I do not believe that plays into anything, people like big things making lots of noise going fast.

I have no skin in this either way but it reminds me of the diesels, the rules were written and Fabio used them to his advantage and all was OK until he won every race one year then rules needed to be changed. When the diesels got back into the groove with multi-speed transmissions and started winning again - oops change the rules again single speed only.

I know what goes on, I was one of the earliest racers to OPT, I brought our two SH boats there from day one. Personalities in offshore are bigger than the boats they race that is why we can't simply have Open, Modified, Pro Stock and Stock anymore.

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 04-24-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How ever you look at this sanction, it is a penalty for being successful and prepared.

I was honored to be selected to join this team in 2012, when they ran two boats in Key West. They put demands on me, that was more than I ever experienced, with a 10 page confidentiality agreement, scuba instruction and performance expectations. These guys were all about one thing, being prepared and winning. Our motto for Key West in 2012 was "Those that fail to prepare, prepare to fail" and they drove this home every day. I learned a lot and this was not a hobby to anyone, it was a professional activity.

I know that most of the people on this forum, make speculations, accusations and initiate rumors against Doc, Brian and the rest of the team, but you have no idea of what they go through to prepare for each and every event. I will admit that when Doc selected me, I was a not well recieved as an outsider, and was on thin ice to build trust with all other team members, but they open up there game plan and ideas to very few people.

The decision to slow down the team that dominated the class, is a major set back in SBI. Parity belongs in hobby and all star wrestling shows, not in "professional sports". I do not think they are going to tie shoes together for Peyton Manning this year, because he dominated the league.

If you think Doc is intense on the race course, retain him to take you into the Wyoming wilderness on a snowmobile in the avalanche terrain! He will be prepared to save your life and his own. I have been there first hand, and they will amaze you!!

I am deeply afraid, this decision will run a team off that does not believe that parity is not in the mission statement of SBI.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

If there is a silver lining it is that OL HAS A BIG FEATHER IN ITS CAP NOW. If you want to brag about something can you imagine the press you will get that your boat is soooooo good that we have to be penalized it for being to good as compared to every other boat manufacture. I say nice work OL on a outstanding product !!!! IMO I don't think 250 lbs will change the end result only adding to the drama.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.