Notices

Pulling a 502

Old 04-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling a 502

I know this is a vague question with many possibilities. I do not expect a perfect answer but some general help would be appreciated. I bought a 1999 28ft Checkmate with a single 502 MPI engine. I bought the boat knowing the engine was wounded. I want to get an idea what it might cost me to have the engine pulled. I will also need it reinstalled after the rebuild. I understand that their are a ton of variables but just trying not to get stung too badly. I am capable of doing the work but where I live, we are not allowed to keep a boat or a trailer in the driveway here in (Cape Coral, Fl). Any and all advice will be appreciated. If anyone has knowledge of a good guy in this area I would like to talk to them.

Thanks
Scott
Old 04-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Scott,

I think most of the service centers you will find will want to do the whole package, if you are on a trailer, and have time, the one place I have had excellent results with was Offshore Performance off 41. Donnie Carter (239) 489-0884, and since the snowbirds are leaving you may be able to get it serviced quickly. He should be able to give you an estimate of what it would cost. They installed hydraulic steering and HP500 oil coolers with thermostats on my ancient Fountain in 2004, but it took a while.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Luckily you can get everything unhooked and ready and then hire a tow truck to come out and hoist out. That's what I was going to do with my formula. I'm a cape guy also and we've had dads 30 scarab at the house for a couple weeks with no love letters from code enforcement.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Registered

2 hours to pull, 8 hours to install. This would be with you removing the hatch,and back seat if needed. Depending on what the labor rate is would depend on the total. If I had my guy do it, he charges me $75/hr so it would cost $750 to pull and put back in, and this is given that everything goes smooth which is rarely the case lol. You will probably have to do or replace this or that while you are in there. Labor rates vary a lot around the country though, but this should get you in the ball park. I just had this done in a 24 Outlaw, and he charged me $150 to pull the motor (I pulled the hatch off, and unbolted back seat to slide forward for clearance), and then $600 to re install. Now I ended up paying a decent amount for re rigging the bilge, as i went from carb to efi, had him clean up all the wiring to be 100%, and re route everything to look good. He charged me 5 hours for that, so $375. So I paid $1,125 to have a carb motor pulled, a complete bilge re rig along with all wiring, and a efi motor put back in and running 100%. I thought that was pretty reasonable, but don't have alot to compare it to.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 341 Posts

Please share pics of the rebuild, would luv to learn.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

6-10 hrs labor for R & R depending what you have them do and what you do yourself.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:06 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the estimates. I figured it would be a grand. Everyone seems too busy right now and I want to get moving. One of the guys too busy did offer to come to my house and pull it where it sits on my lift as long as I have it ready. I can do that. He will pull it for $100 and set it back in for $100. I hope he does what he says he will do
Old 04-23-2014, 07:49 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottcleaver
Thanks for all the estimates. I figured it would be a grand. Everyone seems too busy right now and I want to get moving. One of the guys too busy did offer to come to my house and pull it where it sits on my lift as long as I have it ready. I can do that. He will pull it for $100 and set it back in for $100. I hope he does what he says he will do
Where are you located?

$100 to pull if you supply the lift is cheap. No one will install a motor for that amount, I wouldn't even line up and mount the outdrive for that if I was to get paid for my help (I normally work for Beer and Pizza, Crown Black if the job is a mofo)

Last edited by Wobble; 04-23-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Registered

Maybe I should clarify. The boat is on my boat lift at my house. I will have to do all the work to prepare for the motor to be pulled. His portion is to lift the motor out and set it into the back of my truck so that I can pull around to my garage and put it on my engine stand. Sorry for the confusion. I am in SW Florida and I could definitely supply the Crown Black for such a project. Wish you were closer. Like I said earlier, if this comes together at this price I will be very grateful.
Scott
Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Registered

I would not let anyone near my boat that says he will put the motor back in for $100. Also, if you have to prep the job to the point that he is just hooking a chain on it then why don't you just do it all yourself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.