Notices

575sci camshaft question

Old 05-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 575sci camshaft question

Ok, so I've tried researching this extensively and there is plenty of info about this on this site, but does every 575sci motor come with a flat cam and lifters stock? The reason I ask is when looking at my mercruiser gm engine identification manual it states states that 2000-2001 and 2002-up are gen VI block with roller set ups. Is this an error in the manual. I'm curious to y they would keep using the flat cams and lifters anyways. If u scroll down u can find it at this URL http://www.marinemechanic.com/merc/d...lockcodes1.PDF
Old 05-23-2014, 12:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 248 Likes on 134 Posts

They're all flat cams.

They're already a the limit of an XR drive...the cam is the governor.

They respond well to a HR cam
Old 05-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Registered

That's what I thought. I appreciate the reply. If the motors have only very minimal break in time ran on them but have been sitting for 3 years would going through first start up protocol be required again? Or as long as using correct oil should it be fine? Just dnt wanna chance wiping a lobe out....
Old 05-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lawless
That's what I thought. I appreciate the reply. If the motors have only very minimal break in time ran on them but have been sitting for 3 years would going through first start up protocol be required again? Or as long as using correct oil should it be fine? Just dnt wanna chance wiping a lobe out....
I would change oil and filter , use either an additive or oil that has flat tappet additives in it already , then I would prime the oil
pump and fire it up right away and hold RPM's at about 1800 for about 10 - 15 - minutes .
Old 05-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Registered

Good info guys. Maybe valve springs need changing also after sitting for 3 years some being in a bind?
Old 05-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lawless
Good info guys. Maybe valve springs need changing also after sitting for 3 years some being in a bind?
YES!!!! Change the springs and I would get away from the flat tappet as soon as you can. They are junk and will end up costing you a rebuild if you want to chance it. You can buy oils with the zinc those cams were designed to run with but I still don't trust the the flats.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I would certainly change the springs, especially if the engine has been sitting and hasn't been turned over in that time period. Some of those springs have been compressed for 3 years. As mentioned, it a damn good idea to get away from the flat tappets if budget allows. You can put a nice hyd. roller in it and really wake it up.
Let me know if we can help.
Eddie
Old 05-25-2014, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I would certainly change the springs, especially if the engine has been sitting and hasn't been turned over in that time period. Some of those springs have been compressed for 3 years. As mentioned, it a damn good idea to get away from the flat tappets if budget allows. You can put a nice hyd. roller in it and really wake it up.
Let me know if we can help.
Eddie