Will a alpha 1 gen 2 hold up? >

Will a alpha 1 gen 2 hold up?

Notices

Will a alpha 1 gen 2 hold up?

Old 05-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a alpha 1 gen 2 hold up?

I got a 1996 scarab with twin 350 that put out 260hp we got the engines out do to head gasket leak so we are now going to put
Each engine at about 350 max my ? Is will the alpha 1 gen 2 hold up or am I asking for problems
Old 05-26-2014, 06:49 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Why not ? Just be careful with idle speed and out of the hole acceleration.

This includes alot of people in the boat and using more power than stock to plane. Most people aren't good with this even if they say they are. I blow up Alpha's and Bravo's this way. And I know better. LOL.

So, here's the trick. Add more power without having to change prop. Meaning, make sure your added hp carries to a higher rpm than stock. This way, you can make yourself plane at same speed (time - not rpm or throttle setting) which will be using same hp as you did before. Then as rpms go up you can apply more throttle and go to higher rpms.

Load is biggest killer of drives because your braIn will want to apply more throttle to conquer the load faster..

All my 02 from all my drive killings.

Last edited by SB; 05-26-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^This is good sound Advice^^^ also if you are a wave jumper, try to keep the prop speed relative to the boat speed....Meaning when you jump out of the water don't pull the throttle all the way back, but just enough to keep it from over-revving and the prop will be going about the speed of the boat when it re-enters the water. if the prop is going too slow it will load the drivetrain/gears in one direction,then when you do give it throttle it will immediately load it in the other direction. this torsional loading/unloading/loading is the Alpha killer. try to keep it right and the stars will align and you wont have to be pulled in
Old 05-26-2014, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

I have twin alphas on my boat putting out 320 hp 400 ft lbs. Ive had this boat for 13 yrs. Change drive oil often put a good halo drive shower on them this cant be stressed enough. I had two drive failures in the first three yrs I asked what was the cause of the failures both times the guy said "HEAT" and it wasnt hard to tell. The oil was roasted and stunk to high heaven both times. I put the showers on after that. And from what Ive read over the years oil level is critical on an alpha to get oil to the top bearing. I change the oil (merc green) two or three times a year and have a little squeeze bottle with drive oil to keep them absolutely topped up.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guy you help a lot put my mind to easy and hope to be on water 4th of July it been to long time like 7 yrs
And miss the hell out of it

Last edited by Scarab2323; 05-27-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Miss spell