Notices

Lake Michigan yesterday

Old 06-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hickle44
ok i'm gonna ask a stupid question.is it normal for that much water to come off/over the bow?seems like you'd get soaked!i've never been in a boat like that or been on lake michigan in a boat.btw i'm an inland lake boater so i'm just curious.never been on a lake that size.
It all depends on the boat. We also ran Sunday at 45-50 mph and didn't get wet.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That lake gets some funny waves, you can be running along in 2' and the all of a sudden the bottom drops out. Hard not to spill your cocktail
Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SHAWNA
Hickle, you can take any boat on Lake Michigan, you just need to be aware of what weather/waves might be coming. We had my wife's 21' Four Winns bow rider out all day Saturday, up near Whitehall and we could have got by with a mushroom anchor because it was so flat. The Pantera still comes in handy on wicked days!
I run my 17' Triton (basically a center console jon boat) 7 miles offshore to fish the bank for salmon in June/July. Have to pay attention as others have said as it changes in a hurry. I get some funny looks in the Triton out there and have had some rides back that would be rough even in the Sonic. No matter what size boat you run, sometimes she's just too rough. Friends n family with cruisers up to 70' sometimes slow down or even come back and wait for better conditions.

Great vid, I wish the gopro showed wave heights better. We have a vid where we left our beach/cove only to find out Green Bay was WAY rougher and taller than we expected. Didn't even get on full plane the 5 miles back to the ramp. When we watched the vid at home we were shocked how it looked not rough on the vid, but was really nasty in person.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Registered

Great video, but wow that lake has some big water. Like said before, video looks like 2-3, but the spray says 4-6 footers.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
I'm not sure how tall the big waves where but it sure was fun.Lake Michigan can kick up fast.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 281 Likes on 100 Posts

Cool video thanks for Sharing!

I agree its never good to label wave height but I am confident that the majority of OSO would not go out the day of the video and if they did would not be able to keep up with you guys. I'm sure your capable of running harder if you wanted.

Love Lake Michigan and the fun it brings us!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Enjoyed the video. Thanks. Lol..... PURE MICHIGAN.... as they say
Old 06-11-2014, 01:33 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Dave W asked me if I wanted to go for a ride in his 38' Cougar Cat this past Sunday...a retired race boat with Arneson drives. Once we got to the launch, Dave said; "Hop in Mark, you're driving!" I'm like, "Yeah, okay!" (not like I never drove a boat before, but never drove a Cat)

We thought it was going to be calm---ended up being 4-6's. Were planning on going from Holland to South Haven, but instead we harbored in at Saugatuck to grab lunch.

That's me with my USMC "boonie hat" at the helm. Dave made it seem easy with him at the throttles----I felt pretty confident with a vetran World Class SBI Throttleman on board. Even as big as the waves were, I could not stop laughing---it was just too much fun although, we could only go real slow. All I could do was laugh the whole time and Dave hardly peeped a word. He just throttled the boat....and boy, I am telling you, he knows how to throttle a boat---especially in that rough chit we were in on Sunday!

My kaki shorts and shirt got wet going both directions. We were following a friend's 46' Skater w/Merc 1350's....it was his idea to cut the trip short and duck in at Saugatuck----of course, we didn't argue much and we didn't see any other boats while we were out there except for close to the jetty.

I am kind of surprised that the video does not really give a good image of how truly rough the water and waves were---and there were some big ones about every few seconds or so.

Anyway, had a great time---thanx Dave

Last edited by KAAMA; 06-11-2014 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Good stuff guys.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:22 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 873 Likes on 322 Posts

Nice to see some real water instead of big boats going fast on little lakes and rivers which does nothing for me. No MCOBs in this video!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.