Mercury Marine Fighting E15

Notices

Mercury Marine Fighting E15

Old 06-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Default Mercury Marine Fighting E15

Marine industry leader taking action, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...e-fighting-e15
Old 06-12-2014, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to have to sue that Paul Bekemeyer guy that commented.... He said menthol was the way to go for performance so I tossed a bag of Hall's cough drops and a pack of Newports in my gas tank and now the boat won't run....
Old 06-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I did not say Methanol was the way to go . I'm talking about Ethanol E85 fuel. I'm running 15 gallon of 93 octane to 5 gallon of E85. I am having good result with that. I will be converting my 850 cfm to run on straight E85 very near future, I would not let my boat sit very long doing that. I in fact use my boat every week. Most boaters use pump gas which has E10 or 10% Ethanol. A few die hards will pay that extra $1.00 plus a gallon for non Ethanol fuel . I have been running E10 pump gas for past 10 years with no problem. E 85 has octane rating of 103 to 105 at $1.00 cheaper per gallon than 93 octane. There is a lot to think about before using E85 . Do some checking E85 fuel or Flex has it pro's and con's most boater cons' but I do see difference the way my boat sound and preforms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TpSAtqZbLE
Old 06-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pbekemeyer
No I did not say Methanol was the way to go .]
Correct, you did not say methanol was the way to go, you said MENTHOL was the way to go.... 3 separate occasions in the original unedited post. Alas, one mention of MENTHOL remains, as noted in the attached screenshot (the edited comment), regarding the race truck. Hair splitting? Maybe.. Autocorrect? Who knows.... But with regard to the E-15 debate, I'll side with Fred K. and Mercury Marine, mostly because they are experts and industry leaders who've more knowledge than I, and back the warranties for the motors I use.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 06-23-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Banned

E15 still not going be that much different than E10 . Beside here is Florida nothing but E10. If E15 become a standard Mercury Racing will have to do what other manufacture's do adjust and keep going. They can not say you don't have a warranty be cause you use pump gas. That my friend would bring a big law suit against Mercury. I have used pump gas for over 10 year in my boat with no problem. I will keep using it and have found that it does work good in my case. I will know more when I get carb complete converter. I am not saying everyone should convert and not the fuel for everyone. Ethanol is not the same as Methanol two different fuels, two different calibrations.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 1,477 Likes on 824 Posts

I live in FL and right next to a public boat ramp the station sells non E10.

Crystal River there is a couple right on 19, same for down by saint Pete.

Not that hard to find.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Up here in CT, I don't know of anywhere that offers ethanol-free fuel. Luckily I have not seen E15 yet, but I'm sure it's only a mater of time...
Old 06-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Registered

The problem with ethanol fuels is they attract and hold water and can cause corrosion and they are jus plain and simple hard on fuel systems. Just like whipple and kiekhaefer stated unless you are completely converted or for special events you are asking for trouble. I personally will never use E85 and try to avoid ANY ethanol fuels in anything I own. Yes E85 has its place in the performance world but mainly in high HP street cars and race cars NOT in a marine environment. Most average boaters don't know and don't care about the difference they just put gas in and go and that is what causes the problems and damage. As for voiding the warranty and lawsuits etc. I agree with MERC in that you put the wrong fuel in your boat and you're a grown adult and don't read the pump etc its your baby. When we used to do a lot of endurance testing for Merc and they were in Stilly here in OK we went to the plant a few times and I got to see how and where these things were thrashed on and see the multi engine dyno cells where they would flog multiple engines for hours or days on end. I've watched them tear down engines in tear down rooms and go through looking for any sign of any little thing to show a problem. Ive seen what Merc does to sort an engine/drive package and there are certain things you can and can not do plain and simple so put on your big boy pants and accept your adult responsibilities for your adult decision to put the wrong fuel in your boat and void your warranty. Or you can make the decision to learn and be an adult and put the right stuff in your boat.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Registered

ethanol blends gather water and the unbelievable wreck they make of carbs with jets, fuel bowls, fuel filters and engines is terrible. "Stabil" stuff might help some but doesn't solve it.
Plain gasoline without ethanol stores and runs better in boats that aren't always seeing use and see long storage intervals.
Plain gasoline has more energy per gallon and gets better MPG.
Plain gasoline doesn't run up the cost of FOOD on our tables from corn to beef.
Plain gasoline doesn't need Government subsidies and MANDATES to SURVIVE in the marketplace, because it is GOOD ALL BY ITSELF and everybody knows it.

I LIKE E85 for race engines...I am converting to Flex Fuel gasoline-E85 on my street/race turbocharged car because it IS race gas...but has the above limitations, that I can DEAL with on my car with small 22 gallon tank, NOT on my BOAT with 340 gallons that could go sour and wreck 2 engines/injectors out on the water!
Gasoline for boats should be PLAIN GASOLINE, it is best and safest and stores best BY FAR, and Mercury Says So Too.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Registered

^^^ agreed sir

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.