Notices

Balance Trailer tires

Old 06-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We balance our trailer tires on everything except the little jetski trailer (seems pretty smooth, minimal weight, and don't use it much so never bothered). I don't see how it's any different from the shop's perspective than balancing a car tire.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 334 Likes on 131 Posts

Are those of you that are saying you get the vibration from the tires when loaded or empty? Are you still getting the bounce when you first take off or after the trailer had being sitting for a period of time or all the time? I can see how when the trailer is empty it could make a difference especially as the tire wears over time, Much less weight to balance trailer and the actual trailer will move within itself. Once the boat is loaded (what size boat could also factor in) I would think the vibration would dissipate? I am just thinking that there may also be wear issues on the tires from sliding etc that would change the geometry of the tire over time. Or was the vibration as soon as the tires were originally mounted?

I think every tire shop would be happy to balance the tire, it is a revenue enhancement. Sometimes the communication as to why they don't say to balance may be the miss-understanding?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:53 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always balance tires for the highway. If a tire needs more than a small weight it is an indicator of other problems either in the tire or the rim, easy way to find out.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always balance my tires. Not to mention the extra stress on the bearing from a tire out of balance bouncing around..... It is to cheap not to balance them.

Last edited by Big Block; 06-11-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
Are those of you that are saying you get the vibration from the tires when loaded or empty? Are you still getting the bounce when you first take off or after the trailer had being sitting for a period of time or all the time? I can see how when the trailer is empty it could make a difference especially as the tire wears over time, Much less weight to balance trailer and the actual trailer will move within itself. Once the boat is loaded (what size boat could also factor in) I would think the vibration would dissipate? I am just thinking that there may also be wear issues on the tires from sliding etc that would change the geometry of the tire over time. Or was the vibration as soon as the tires were originally mounted?

I think every tire shop would be happy to balance the tire, it is a revenue enhancement. Sometimes the communication as to why they don't say to balance may be the miss-understanding?
Does not matter if the trailer is empty or loaded, out of ballance tire will exert the same forces at the same speeds. Just because a vibration cannot be felt does not mean it is not there.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Spin balancers only spin up to low 70's mph, so if you have a DRW diesel and tow your 47 Apache 80mph everywhere you go, you're just wasting beer money.

Don't even get me started on dynamic vs. static balancing....

Last edited by Speedracer29; 06-11-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll take bait...inform us.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Hmm, I've never heard about the "dot" before, but did some research on it. It's not a universal thing across all tire manufacturers though. Learn something new everyday!

Advice:
If you choose to balance your trailer tires, have it done with the stick-on weights, not the ones that clamp on the rim. I had my tires balanced when installed on my Myco. By the time I got home, half of the weights had flown off. (They were the right weights for the aluminum wheels too; not weights for steel wheels which have a narrower clamp.) Clean all the grease off the inside of the wheels, and have the weights applied inside the barrel of the rim.
What's up with this "dot" thing? How can it matter? What does the dot look like?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

I am a fan of Road Force Balancing, but have never heard of static vs. dynamic IRT balancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxVAssnbp8 http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...orce_balancing

My local Ford dealer has a Road Force balancer and the nicest tire mounting equipment in my area. (It is a brand new dealer built from scratch a couple years ago.) I use the Quick Lane service business all the time for just about any of my tire mounting/balancing needs. They didn't do the wheels/tires on my Myco, but they will next time. I also plan to have the 19.5s on my dually re-balanced there at some point with the RF system.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Dots:

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires_10...atch_mounting/
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=17
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/arch...p/t-48065.html
http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com...0ask%20doc.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.