Notices

Balance Trailer tires

Old 06-11-2014, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Balance Trailer tires

I dropped off two new ST225/75/15 today they said they do not balance trailer tires what do you guys think? I did a quick search and came up with no previous thread
Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 334 Likes on 131 Posts

Not an issue, to balance trailer tires, it may make you feel better to spend the money, but no need... Just ask they line up the "dot" with the valve stem and all is good. Just to clarify, it would not hurt to balance, you may get more miles out of them if you intend to trailer 50,000 miles with them, but since they will likely blow out from weather checking long before they wear the tread out.... no need to spend the extra money.

Last edited by bajaholic; 06-11-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea sure. It helped my issues. I had vibrations at hwy speed. Took trailer to local tire shop they balanced like car tires, added weight all smooth at any speed.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

That is piss poor to not ballance trailer tires. They should be ballanced, I could feel my old trailer tires out of ballance in my truck. When a tire is out of ballance it can generate heat. Too cheap not to do...I even had my trailer spare ballanced.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 334 Likes on 131 Posts

The question is it really needed? No, Is it a good thing, yes. Will it really make a difference in most cases, no. Will it make you feel better to balance it? Go for it.

Now why: Most of the trailer tires stress is on the sidewall from turns (usually way tighter than needed and the tire "rolls" on it's side.) This creates different stress points with in the tire and it will begin to break down inside. Thus you will rarely see a tire implode from wear, usually it will loose its tread when it goes. It is also caused by weather checking for those that leave them outside. All the balancing in the world will not fix this wear issue.

As far as true running, it is absolutely correct, a balanced tire will run more true, but this will be mostly noticed as the tire ages, Again, I guess it depends on how many miles you intend on trailering and how often.

It really comes down to cost, some places charge 5-10/wheel to balance, it you want to spend the extra money, go for it, if not, don't worry about it.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Registered

I balance our tires as well and even when they line up the dot I have seen tires still be out of balance. The tire shop I dealt with had no problems with 15" and 16" trailer wheels.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the info, I know the tires I repalced still have full tread but the walls where all cracked so its not a mileage issue just wanted to know why they guy said we never balance trailer tires.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Hmm, I've never heard about the "dot" before, but did some research on it. It's not a universal thing across all tire manufacturers though. Learn something new everyday!

Advice:
If you choose to balance your trailer tires, have it done with the stick-on weights, not the ones that clamp on the rim. I had my tires balanced when installed on my Myco. By the time I got home, half of the weights had flown off. (They were the right weights for the aluminum wheels too; not weights for steel wheels which have a narrower clamp.) Clean all the grease off the inside of the wheels, and have the weights applied inside the barrel of the rim.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered

had mine balanced trailer had vibration before at 50 60 mph vibration was gone after balancing
Old 06-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

a buddy of mine is to cheep to get his trailer tires balanced,i borrowed his car trailer and it shook bad at 60 mph.yes trailer tires should be balanced,just makes sence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.