1997 fountain 38 with 22% prop slip >

1997 fountain 38 with 22% prop slip

Notices

1997 fountain 38 with 22% prop slip

Old 07-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nmca_chevy
I was thinking the same thing that the boat should run 10MPH faster. Drives have drive showers. I am not sure what you mean by check the haul for hook. I will do a google search to find out what that means haha!

We are rookies when it comes to boating....we are only capable of swapping motors because of our extensive drag racing back ground. If you want to talk small tire drag radial racing I wont sound so uneducated.

thanks for the help!
What they are asking you to check for is large depressions in the bottom of the hull, usually not native to a performance boat....they are cause by using a trailer with bunks that fall short of the transom. Check the bottom with a straight edge, the depressions will disturb the water making it hard to hook up at higher speed. Also they are asking you to check for water pickups that could also be disturbing the water, also causing slip.

Getting a straight bottom fountain down to 15 percent slip or less is very possible. I can tell you with the -2 short lowers you should be looking at 5 blade props to get that slip down. Slip is speed, but single digit slip can very hard on the drives as well. 22 percent is excessive.

IMO something is seriously off somewhere if you are truly making 750hp. The 38 fever straight bottom is not the most efficient hull made, but 750hp a side is a lot of ponies.

Example. I spin my 32 4 blades at 5750 summer and right to 5850 rev limit (and would go more) in the cool, 14.5 slip, 98-100 mph, around 700 crank HP. Standard length lowers on a twin big step 38 lightning side by side.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
What they are asking you to check for is large depressions in the bottom of the hull, usually not native to a performance boat....they are cause by using a trailer with bunks that fall short of the transom. Check the bottom with a straight edge, the depressions will disturb the water making it hard to hook up at higher speed. Also they are asking you to check for water pickups that could also be disturbing the water, also causing slip.

Getting a straight bottom fountain down to 15 percent slip or less is very possible. I can tell you with the -2 short lowers you should be looking at 5 blade props to get that slip down. Slip is speed, but single digit slip can very hard on the drives as well. 22 percent is excessive.

IMO something is seriously off somewhere if you are truly making 750hp. The 38 fever straight bottom is not the most efficient hull made, but 750hp a side is a lot of ponies.

Example. I spin my 32 4 blades at 5750 summer and right to 5850 rev limit (and would go more) in the cool, 14.5 slip, 98-100 mph, around 700 crank HP. Standard length lowers on a twin big step 38 lightning side by side.

I will do some checking tonight and get back. I really appreciate the help.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 123 Posts

1997 38 Fountains are not straight bottom boats - they are first generation stepped.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 395 Likes on 165 Posts

I was thinking the same thing that the boat should run 10MPH faster. Drives have drive showers. I am not sure what you mean by check the haul for hook. I will do a google search to find out what that means haha!

We are rookies when it comes to boating....we are only capable of swapping motors because of our extensive drag racing back ground. If you want to talk small tire drag radial racing I wont sound so uneducated.

thanks for the help!
Properly trimmed? You said you were rookies so the question needs to be asked.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
Properly trimmed? You said you were rookies so the question needs to be asked.
Boat needs to trim indicator cables. Was trimmed up until it wouldn't go any faster then back down some. We were trimmed to where the boat ran the fastest.

Ask away because I'm hoping we have something stupid going on.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Registered

Water pick ups are about 6inches either side of drain plug. Stick down even with bottom of boat
Old 07-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 202 Likes on 55 Posts

Did you check the cabin really good for a bunch of bikini bottoms? It is a Fountain. Im guessing thats the problem.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
Did you check the cabin really good for a bunch of bikini bottoms? It is a Fountain. Im guessing thats the problem.
you could b rite joe....hoes bags tend to be caught migrating down below if you know what I mean.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Which way are the props rotating?
Port side counter clock wise
Starboard clockwise
Old 07-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 395 Likes on 165 Posts

Boat needs to trim indicator cables. Was trimmed up until it wouldn't go any faster then back down some. We were trimmed to where the boat ran the fastest.

Ask away because I'm hoping we have something stupid going on.
What about your tabs? Were they up or at least neutral?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.