Notices

Upholstery - SE Michigan

Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Upholstery - SE Michigan

I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations on an upholstery shop in SE Michigan.

I have a bench seat which had rotten wood and torn vinyl. I've replaced all of the wood and reassembled the seat. Now it's on to upholstery. For that, here's what I'm looking for:

- Currently there are three colors of vinyl in the bench seat. I'm okay losing one of those colors, if it saves $$
- The current stripes are contoured. I can live without it, if that's a money-saver.
- Add three ¾” foam “bumps” in seat bottom and back to add slight bolstering effect. I added strips of ¾” ply where I want these to be.
- Add three grab straps around the pad which is behind the knees for the passengers to grip, similar to small versions of the straps on a jet-ski seat.
- Replace welting/piping on existing skin with double French seams

I also asked for Drifast foam, in a firmness much higher than the current foam, but I’m okay with the material cost of that.

For the above job, I've been quoted what I think is an obscene amount of money, albeit it was from what appears to be the premier upholstery/trim shop in the area. While I'd love to have them do the job, I'm comfortable with 90% of the quality if it can be had for 50% of the price.

So, can anyone recommend an upholsterer to me that won't force me to take out a loan?

Last edited by NautiSouth; 07-28-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Give XT innovations a call. He is in Bucyrus Ohio, roughly an hour south of Sandusky. He did my interior and it is awesome.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go with Appearance Products of Grand Rapids. They did a great job with my boat (via a previous owner) a few years ago, and I believe they do pretty much all the new Skaters. appearanceproductsinc.net
Old 07-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Registered

Send samples to Miami Corp. they matched my 25 year old vinyl and were great to deal with too!!

http://www.miamicorp.com
Old 07-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Registered

Get a hold of Chris at Mcleod design group they are in Madison heights MI.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with XT in Ohio. I have seen their work and its top notch. I would stay away from Bohemian in Wyandotte. That is unless you don't need your boat back until 2016.. That guy is an a-hole and on his own schedule. He does really good work, but just a pain in the a$$ to deal with. He did my Velocity. I was very pleased with the work, it just took me having to threaten to pull the job out from under him to get him moving (and that was after he had everything for almost 6 months!)
Old 07-28-2014, 06:49 PM
sre
Registered

Try Laird's Glass and Trim in Plymouth MI. They made bolsters for the old #5 Gentry boat that a friend owned. Excellent work and very reasonable. Ask for Tim. He is the owner.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Registered

Based on this, I'd stay away from "Bob the Boat Seat Guy."
Old 07-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Xt innovations!
Don't go elsewhere!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Registered

We will be boating in Fort Lauderdale this winter and we would like to get our boat upholstery redone , Donzi 38. Can anyone recommended a shop in Florida ?
any help is greatly appreciated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.