Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Baja 36 Outlaw or Fountain 35 Lightening? >

Baja 36 Outlaw or Fountain 35 Lightening?

Notices

Baja 36 Outlaw or Fountain 35 Lightening?

Old 09-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

This thread has been very educational! What I have learned so far:

1) Bajas are big and slow and comparable to a Chrysler mini van.
2) Fountains and smaller, faster, better built, more of a "race boat", etc and more comparable to a Porsche or even the Space Shuttle.
3) Fountain skanks are thinner, better looking and can take a pounding. However, may have "camaro hair".
4) Fountain owners get butt hurt when you compare a Baja to a Fountain.

Carry on, I would like to further my education!
Old 09-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
This thread has been very educational! What I have learned so far:

1) Bajas are big and slow and comparable to a Chrysler mini van.
2) Fountains and smaller, faster, better built, more of a "race boat", etc and more comparable to a Porsche or even the Space Shuttle.
3) Fountain skanks are thinner, better looking and can take a pounding. However, may have "camaro hair".
4) Fountain owners get butt hurt when you compare a Baja to a Fountain. Carry on, I would like to further my education!
5) Fountain owners are Baja owners that have "matured". "Once you go Beak you never retreat".
Old 09-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

) Fountain owners get butt hurt when you compare a Baja to a Fountain
And all this time I thought I was brewing up a 'roid!,
Old 09-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by obnoxus
Race and Baja in the same sentence,,,,, now THAT was funny !!!

Not staggered,,,, but there is 36 Outlaw #6 boat out there
How about that Baja never needed to do the race course to sell boats because they sold more boats per year than all the others combined, just like ford trucks out sells all the others combined per year .
They come right out and say that there not into the speed race but more of the safety and creature comforts in a video I have from the factory (that's why no steps), but did extensive wind tunnel testing and hull testing at the factory.
Lets take a 1999 36 outlaw with 502 MPI's it does 65-70 depending on driver
a 1999 38 fountain (same size as outlaw) with same power maybe 5 MPH faster
a 1999 35 café racer same power 65-70 MPH

Maybe it's me but I don't see a big difference in the older boats
Old 09-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by outlw36
How about that Baja never needed to do the race course to sell boats because they sold more boats per year than all the others combined, just like ford trucks out sells all the others combined per year .
They come right out and say that there not into the speed race but more of the safety and creature comforts in a video I have from the factory (that's why no steps), but did extensive wind tunnel testing and hull testing at the factory.

But Speed Changes You. Sorry it was just too easy, and I have a Baja.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

I know it's funny.
Both 35' poker run boats did over 90 and the 40' poker run boat split decision did 89 with 6 people and gear at LOTO
They could have made faster boats if they wanted to but that wasn't there market, the average guy was what the were after.
I'm currently looking for a 42 tiger to replace my 36 outlaw that I just finishing doing over because I want more speed. Invested way to much money to now do superchargers.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
There was one 600sc staggered #6 36 OL made, it was for sale on this site a few years back. It of course lost all that deck room that Baja owners brag about, and word was it ran about 80 mph........yes 80 with blower motors and surface drives.

There was a non staggered 900sc #6 OL that I guess came that way from Baja? I am not sure of the speed, but a cool boat....maybe the only 36 to every reach triple digits (I hope)

Also....I found a secret spy photo of the Baja race team letting her eat! I don't think I have to go on about the success, heritage, and winning ways of this race team......truly legends in the offshore world
There were several, or at least a couple anyway, 35 Poker Run edition Outlaws that ran a tick over 100 factory stock on 700sci's
Old 09-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

we keep getting off track-- Its really all about the skanks you guys..
Attached Thumbnails Baja 36 Outlaw or Fountain 35 Lightening?-tumblr_mouekkcuyo1r8jrp8o1_500.jpg  
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by outlw36

The first statement is exactly why the two should never be compared.

5 mph is a lot in a 36-38 ft boat, but you forgot to mention the outlaw speed wall.

The 36 OL mold was built by mesuring and copying the force 10 mold, that was acquired from Cig, no surprise to the speed comparison.

The one thing you forgot is the cig and fountain will completely outride that Baja. This is spoken from an owner of all.

The Baja falls short as a performance boat, but shines as a family boat that looks like an offshore racer.

And Baja sold more performance boats than anyone else because no one else directly put their name on $15k 18 ft bow riders like Baja did.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
There was one 600sc staggered #6 36 OL made, it was for sale on this site a few years back. It of course lost all that deck room that Baja owners brag about, and word was it ran about 80 mph........yes 80 with blower motors and surface drives.

There was a non staggered 900sc #6 OL that I guess came that way from Baja? I am not sure of the speed, but a cool boat....maybe the only 36 to every reach triple digits (I hope)

Also....I found a secret spy photo of the Baja race team letting her eat! I don't think I have to go on about the success, heritage, and winning ways of this race team......truly legends in the offshore world

You guys crack me up man, I've been running a 25OL for 10yrs, I run the Salt Life, the bay and ocean. I put that Outlaw thru the snottiest chit you can run it thru and in 10 yrs, the only thing that keeps comin loose on that boat is my woman's top. Lots of peeps here think anything else but what they run is junk. Too me they're all awesome, from Cig's to Checkmate's, from Baja's to Apache's and Scarab's to Skaters and so on. They all have a following and their own unique history that we can all appreciate. I happen to be a Baja guy, and I like Fountain's and have friends that own them, I just like classic offshore, Outlaw, Cig, Apache, Pantera etc... It's what you like.

I've met some of the greatest friends from far across the country from traveling with that Baja to meet fellow Baja owners, It has turned into great times running with other offshore boats, from every brand you can name, to share a common interest of go fast boats.... Nuff said, here's a little more Baja history

Here's a 97' Stepped 42 APBA pace boat, trip 850's w/ #6's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=dwp7wPrwR8E

Last edited by JerseyOutlaw; 09-10-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.