Notices

Newbie question???

Old 09-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question???

Hello fresh and green as can be so don't hate on me too much. Getting into the powerboat scene. I've been researching and chasing and trying to figure out how or what makes a big rooster tail. I'm sure there's geometry algebra X factors The sun lining up with moon just right and all that. But there has to be a simple answer and I can't seem to get I'm very new and not hip on all the different model numbers and drive names and what not. But I understand arneson drives are the rooster king and are very pricy. But isn't there a simple set up like for instance. Bravo xr drive with extension boxes and A certain prop will make a 35 or 38' boat shoot a rooster. Or different lowers will make it. I understand that extension boxes are to put the drives farther back for speed and they effect boats differently. But I feel like shooting a rooter tail should be fairly simple. I'm not talking about going 100 mph. I'm talking cruising at 50 shooting a nice tail in the air. Can someone help explain to me the dos and donts.
Thanks guys
Old 09-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Big hp, high x.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

Big rooster tails happen with surface drives like the NXT's, SSM 6's are Arenesons. Rinning Bravo's like surface drives will break off a lot of prop blades.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

In addition to the correct answers / advice that has been offered here, let me add my 2 cents. If you have a "normal" (non-high performance) boat and you want to throw a big rooster tail, all you're going to do is tear up parts. That's because in order to throw one with a normal X dimension, prop and power, you're going to have to over trim your drive. That will beat the hell out of your U-joints. Besides, all of us who legitimately throw a good sized rooster because of a correct high performance setup are going to mock the hell out of you for showing off as you destroy your out drive.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 432 Likes on 195 Posts

If you want a big rooster tail buy a jet boat.

Last edited by Craney; 09-21-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Craney
If you wont a big rooster tail buy a jet boat.
X2

See ya,
Kelly
Old 09-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craney
If you want a big rooster tail buy a jet boat.
X3
It will be the cheapest way to achieve your goal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAR0dw-bmdY
Old 09-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Registered

What's that hose I've seen sitting behind the out drives aiming straight into the air?
Old 09-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Registered

Lol Def not gonna get a jet boat. Just didn't know if anyone has or knows what' setup worked for them. I'll keep asking. Maybe some one can help
Old 09-21-2014, 05:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Big rooster tails happen with surface drives like the NXT's, SSM 6's are Arenesons. Rinning Bravo's like surface drives will break off a lot of prop blades.
Ok I understand that. And that's big money right there. So just putting extention boxes on won't raise your x???? And correct me if I'm wrong here but are the different lowers raised?? So the prop is closer to the top of the water???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.