Notices

Mercruiser 496 HO Cam?

Old 09-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the MAG to HO swap in my old boat. Cam, ECU and bigger throttle blade hole. I gained 3-4 mph. It changed the boat, I would do it again.

I bought the RAYLAR cam for mine, which is a massaged HO cam. Ray told me it was good for another 20HP over the factory HO cam. My thought was if you are going to get in there that far, why not have the best cam you can get. Raylar is the 496 guru for sure. I don't recall the price, but I can almost guarantee it will be cheaper than a merc cam.

Good luck-
Old 09-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how about the Raylar cam swap kit that includes the cam, roller rockers and springs? I have heard good and bad things about the Raylar stuff. If the upgrades aren't worth doing in my boat than I'll just forget it. However, since it looks like I'll be keeping it a few more years I'd like to make it a bit more fun for what would be relatively inexpensive if I can pull the motor myself. I know I'll need to reprop either way or should I be looking at a shorty or blueprinted hull instead?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 867 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by cmkworm
So how about the Raylar cam swap kit that includes the cam, roller rockers and springs? I have heard good and bad things about the Raylar stuff. If the upgrades aren't worth doing in my boat than I'll just forget it. However, since it looks like I'll be keeping it a few more years I'd like to make it a bit more fun for what would be relatively inexpensive if I can pull the motor myself. I know I'll need to reprop either way or should I be looking at a shorty or blueprinted hull instead?
Dont sell your prop till you are done, you might just spin it 100-150 RPM more or BBlades can tweak it. Try to find Wayne on BBO, he has either a 25 or 26 with a Raylar 600 and a shortie. He should be able to help too. Wayne = good guy
Old 09-23-2014, 11:46 PM
ACS
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2004 496 H.O and older came with forged rods and crank. The mag came with cast internals and a different computer program.
I rebuilt my 02 six years ago and kept the crank.. The rods and pistons are not the best design so those were replaced.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a 496HO cam w 50hrs on it$250 you pay the shipping . I also have a 496 Built short block. Forged crank, Oliver billet 6.700 Rods, JE Pistons 8.5:1 comp ratio, and a spare Motorolla 555pcm. if anyone is interested