Notices

Turbine Powered Cats

Old 10-11-2002, 02:53 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on JetSet for several hours one day and it did get to be a bit much. Especially at idle when the fun factor is low but the cool factor is really high, especially when the flames blow.

If you know of the PP canal, (2 miles long, 200 ft wide and metal walls) you know why Jetset has a pack of 1000 earplugs on board. They helped alot.

You don't do much talking while the turnbines are running.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More site links @ www.turbineboat.com Ck out the video"s on Mark Nyes site!
Old 10-11-2002, 03:56 PM
mgw

Hot Water:

Thanks for the welcome. I have watched this stuff for awhile without replying...had to jump in. Have a good weekend.

Old 10-12-2002, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was messing around on the docks on Sunday morning, the day after a poker run in Sarasota, back in April. Saw a 50' NorTech with twin turbines. (don't remember the name) Talked to the driver, throttleman, and owner about the boat and they said some interesting things...

can hold a conversation at 150 mph

can run at WOT for extended periods of time without overheating or damaging the engines (like 3+ hours)

service is every 50 hours (oil change only)

needs av gas, so obtaining can be a problem

Waited for for the thing to start up and it was amasing. The sound was high pitched, and the exhaust smelled like an airport. The flames were incredable.

Anybody there remember it?
Old 10-12-2002, 06:52 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 15,453 Likes on 3,988 Posts

i believe the boat your speaking of is Gary Montano's boat he is co-sponsor of Drambuie on Ice. the motors are from Marine Turbine Technologies, as for the fuel they burn it is not avgas, which is a high octane gasoline. Jet engines run off of Jet A, Kerosene, Jp -5 which is military grade, diesel, when using other than jet-a or its equal, the engines run dirty leaving more exhaust. as for the life cycle , if properly maintained 25000 hrs.
about 10000 for overhaul depending on use.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed Mosmiller has no less than 200 hours racked up on the ITS Skater this summer working out all the bugs and dialing it in. His vision is to produce these boats on demand, not as a one-off piece but more like a production boat. I have seen his set up and it looks and works well. His braking system allows shifting and slow speed maneuvers on the turbines and the round the dock manners of the boat are amazing. All this and a 140 MPH cruise-who could ask for more

And then seeing 100's of people clapping for it while it idled through St. Michael's harbor was truly priceless
Old 10-12-2002, 09:55 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even though Ed Mosmiller has only built one Turbine Powered boat to date, he definitely has done things the correct way.

After over 6,000 gallons of fuel, I do not believe Ed has had a single problem all summer which is a big statement considering that this is both Ed’s first Catamaran as well as his first adventure in Turbine powered boats.

Not everyone that has attempted turbine power has had success; many have been financial as well as performance disasters. There is far more to the making of a successful boat than just an engine.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:40 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

the engines are already proven, there are more airplanes in the water than boats in the sky, faa has strict requirents as does the military these turbines althought no longer suitable for aircraft use work well in boats and assorted other vehicles including motorcycles. as for harnessing the power all those doing it are artisians in thier own right . love the engineering that makes a turbine cat move.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:05 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

there are a couple of t-58 for sale in the classifieds along with the reduction gear boxes.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Jeffrey,
Why not go right to the top: Howard Arneson. He's friendly, very knowledgable and close to home. I talked to him about the same subject in the past and learned quite a bit. I'd still like to have a turbine powered boat for Lake Mead/Lake Powell...

Quick Reply: Turbine Powered Cats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.