Question on big outboard power:

Notices

Question on big outboard power:

Old 10-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
What I have heard from reliable sources is the the now current 350 Verado that falls into the Mercury Hi Perf division will move to the production Verado engine family & be available as a detuned 350 that doesn't req prem fuel & will be avail w/ the 3yr warranty.

Replacing the 350 will be a 400 out of the Hi Perf division requiring premium fuel & carrying the much more limited warranty.

Don't hold me too it but that's what I'm hearing w/ announcements at the Miami show so everyone w/ a boat on order is hesitant to move forward fearing they miss out on the opportunity.
Where is the damn Ilmor Outboard ?!?!?!
Old 10-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Awaiting an order for Quads from you!!!
Old 10-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

They make one mean bike motor. Seems they could start with that.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
They make one mean bike motor. Seems they could start with that.
Ilmor should take the yamaha 250 sho motor and upgrade it similar to what they do with the viper motors. Make a surface piercing gear case and in the end have a 4 stroke with over 300 hp and still weight around 500 hp. Even if they were 35k each I think they would sell.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

How much heavier is a verado than an optimax?
Old 10-05-2014, 03:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need much more than a short block. The center section was torn off, along with the lower unit and prop that is at the bottom of Lake Erie!
Old 10-05-2014, 03:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I hear what you're saying about the weak lower units. We've had our share of problems with them, more than once. In fact, one lower unit was new last fall, and the other was rebuilt, because there was a big delay in getting the case. (Not positive, but we heard there was a quality issue with the cases, and some were recalled, and the ones in stock were bad.) It was our rebuilt lower unit that we suspect self destructed, and took many other parts with it. All I can tell you is that we were very luck to be going slow (70-75 MPH) when it let go. As it was, we went around 1-1/2 times, and stuffed it going backwards. Can't believe we didn't roll it.

The seven marine outboards are very expensive, and very heavy!

Last edited by Gary P; 10-05-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by NASCAT
What I have heard from reliable sources is the the now current 350 Verado that falls into the Mercury Hi Perf division will move to the production Verado engine family & be available as a detuned 350 that doesn't req prem fuel & will be avail w/ the 3yr warranty.

Replacing the 350 will be a 400 out of the Hi Perf division requiring premium fuel & carrying the much more limited warranty.

Don't hold me too it but that's what I'm hearing w/ announcements at the Miami show so everyone w/ a boat on order is hesitant to move forward fearing they miss out on the opportunity.
This goes along with what we heard as a rumor. Hope it happens, and hope the lower unit can handle it.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have never heard of a lower unit taking out a powerhead and damaging the cylinders. I had one lower lock up and I snapped the drive shart clean off by the water pump. No other damage to the mid either. Maybe you hit something in the water.
For the one who is asking I believe the Verado is a 100 pounds heavier than the optimax.
With that being said the motor has built in steering so you could save the weight of the steering rams.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
For the one who is asking I believe the Verado is a 100 pounds heavier than the optimax.
With that being said the motor has built in steering so you could save the weight of the steering rams.
I think there's more of a weight difference than that, I believe it's closer to 160 to 175 lbs dry. Wet and with the internal steering I think the 350 Verado is approaching 700 lbs. A 300 Opti is a hair over 500 lbs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.