Notices

Oil drain hose

Old 10-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the dip tube is one solid piece to the bottom of pan,this is how I did it with my 454mag.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a trailer. I keep the boat on a boat lift. I cannot change the oil through the transom. I will see if it will pull through the dipstick tube and if not then it's down to the little 1/4 OD plastic hose
Old 10-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both of my 502's will leave a qt of oil in the pan when using the dipstick tube as the means to remove the oil as that tube doesn't go all the way to the pans bottom. I'll suck as much out with the tube and garden hose fitting, then insert the 1/4" tube till I hear it hit bottom to get that last qt out.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 10-30-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

If your changing the oil at regular intervals 1/2-1 qt left over is no big deal. Just suck through the dipstick tube and call it a day .
Old 10-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
If your changing the oil at regular intervals 1/2-1 qt left over is no big deal. Just suck through the dipstick tube and call it a day .
\

I've been part of a Mercedes Benz forum for years and everyone always talks about not getting the last drop out using the dipstick tube. However, the truth is the dipstick tube almost touches the bottom of the oil pan and the little that is left over doesn't amount to a pitcher of warm spit. You are absolutely correct - as long as you change your oil at regular intervals and use a good grade/brand (and I even doubt if there is much difference in brands) you shouldn't have any oil related issues.

Also, if you look at where the drain plug is on most oil pans-- most are a little above the bottom of the pan -- you need to put the threads in somewhere. That little bit of residual oil will always be there.

3pointstar
Old 10-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
The BEST system is the drain hose that comes out of the drain plug at the transom. I've had this for years and it's the best thing since no iron shirts! You can run the boat get the oil hotter than "satin's nards in leather pants" and when you put it on the trailer - pull over to the side- and drain the oil in a matter of minutes. no muss no fuss!!!

3pointstar
Have to agree with that with just one thing better. I have mine plumbed to a Reverso oil pump. Run the engines, flick a switch and drain the oil into a bucket. takes me 30 minutes to change oil and filters on 3 engines...
Old 10-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 328 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by scottcleaver
I don't have a trailer. I keep the boat on a boat lift. I cannot change the oil through the transom. I will see if it will pull through the dipstick tube and if not then it's down to the little 1/4 OD plastic hose
Boat lift is not a problem. My VR 1 has the oil pan drain hose. When on the trailer I feed it through the transom. When in the lift, I just hook the drain hose to my pump, set the container next to the engine and pump everything out. No muss no fuss. If I remember correctly the drain hose takes 1/4 pipe threads.

Padraig
Old 10-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
\

I've been part of a Mercedes Benz forum for years and everyone always talks about not getting the last drop out using the dipstick tube. However, the truth is the dipstick tube almost touches the bottom of the oil pan and the little that is left over doesn't amount to a pitcher of warm spit. You are absolutely correct - as long as you change your oil at regular intervals and use a good grade/brand (and I even doubt if there is much difference in brands) you shouldn't have any oil related issues.

Also, if you look at where the drain plug is on most oil pans-- most are a little above the bottom of the pan -- you need to put the threads in somewhere. That little bit of residual oil will always be there.

3pointstar
I concur. I added the Merc drain hoses to my engines and to do so I had to take the oil out through the dipsticks first and then placed a pan I made up under the engine and pulled the drain plug...wasn't squat left. I added the hoses so that as much oil changing activity got done OUTSIDE the boat as possible with pure white interior. My hoses are attached to the two bilge drain plugs. I hook a 15 quart vacuum canister up to hose and suck them out cause even a warm up, it's still pretty slow relying on gravity.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:40 AM
Registered

Received 152 Likes on 73 Posts

Does anyone have any first hand experience if the oil pan drain hose kits can actually be used in a fountain 32 Fever or am I better off with the dipstick method on this boat? (It has twin MPI 502's and a single drain plug). It seems like there is a stringer in the way possibly and they would be hard to fish out of the drain plug but I may be wrong?

I would prefer the hose method if possible but I don't want to go through the hassle of ordering and attempting the install if it won't work or will be more of a PITA than the dipstick method.

If it is not possibe and the dipstick method is required, what kits/ equipment do you all use? I want something that will last, be hassle free and uncomplicated.

Last edited by Diamond Dave; 01-27-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Some folks have actually installed 2 extra drain plugs, specific for the oil drain hoses. Just install them on either side of the stringer, about 2 inches above the bottom hole, and either side of the stringer. (Keeping them higher will keep them out of the way of any crud/water that drains out of the single bilge hole.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.