Notices

Got #%ucked again

Old 10-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

If you are competent in understanding mechanicals and hull structure then i see limited need for a surveyor. On the other hand, if you lack those skill sets, have time or travel constraints then I can see where a reputable surveyor would be invaluable. Personally, if I was using a surveyor I would ask for examples of work performed and general knowledge/accreditation.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Not even going to bother.... Your such a genius. I'm just ignorant and can't see writing a check based on some one else's word.

I am far from a genius or even a smart man.

I am smart enough though to know that when I am buying a expensive toy to do my homework all around. From survey to trailer, to the boat it self.

I would say my survey at $789 was prob one of the cheapest things I had to buy actually.

Let me guess though. Instead of doing a survey I should hire someone like you and take your word though. I get it now...cause we all know the mechanic or repair biz is one never to have had a shady person or someone that isn't as qualified as they say they are.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 10-30-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 813 Likes on 376 Posts

I don't have endless resources so I will be the first to admit it would be hard for me to take my own advice, but I bet you get very little traction with an attorney, or the surveyor. You might get some sympathy from the buyer.

Beyond that I bet your best bet would be to simply pull the motors, have the bottom ends redone, throw them back in the boat, call it a 10K dollar mistake and get back to enjoying the boat with your family. In the end I bet this is what you have to end up doing anyways.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regards to recourse against the surveyor, if you signed a contract read the terms. I would also read any fine print in the final report. My guess it relieves them of any liability up to the cost of the survey. I'm not suggesting you couldn't file suit, but may be an uphill battle costing thousand if not tens of thousands of dollars in legal expenses. I feel for you and wish you luck.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Registered

Like home inspectors your on your own , it makes you feel all worm & fuzzy then oh oh .
Old 10-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

It's probably not what you want to hear in hindsight, but a boat survey AND mechanical inspection is what really needs to be done.
You could go back to the seller and maybe ask to split repairs, but they would not be obligated to do so.
Ethically is another story-------------------but it is what it is.

I've bought 4 boats out of state, so they were purchased sight unseen.
The Surveyor would tell me that they do not do perform mechanical inspections on the engines.
They survey the boat, sea trial, record RPM's & MPH, and "listen" for any abnormality's.
I feel there are a lot of Items not mentioned in the reports when it comes to the condition of the boat, IE dings, scratches, wear, etc.

The one and only boat that I did a mechanical inspection on gave me piece of mind.
It had a Yamaha F250 outboard that was a 2008 and only had 60 hours on it.
Compression test, verified hours, run time at RPM's, checked oil, lower lube, and over all condition.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Registered

It boils down down to whether the surveyor has E&O insurance. If you paid a professional fee for his service and he is licensed, he is held to a higher standard. He was aware of the smoking engine and lack of performance. As an industry professional, he should have advised further inspection to protect you, his client. Read the report to see if he made comment to these items and what his insection covers.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drew555
To make a really long story short.... I hired a surveyor to look at a boat I was going to purchase . I had a land survey done, than a sea trial two days later that I attended and surveyor was aware that it would be a on sight closing. Sea trial went well. Did not hit top speed was told that it had 3year old gas in it. Boat was listed at 138 hrs from new. The boat is a 1998 35'fountain. Boat is really clean. No reason to think these hrs are out of line. I got to sea trail 200 miles from home to meet a nice older man and woman to own the boat.... Sounds great right..... They light the boat off I notice a little blue smoke...... Was told fogging oil... Whatever..... The surveyor looked at it. The surveyor finally shows up and go for a tide . Boat checks out.... He says it's a good boat..... Don't know why but I felt like I could leave my guard down and not go through this boat myself. It's the first time I every hired a surveyor. Regardless I bring the boat home. I take my wife and four young kids out on it with some fresher fuel topping off the shi t he had in there. But because my kids are young I didn't ring the nuts out of it. We had a great time. I backed it into my driveway and flushed it out. Then checked the oil......... I found a milkshake in the port motor..... Ugh! So I changed the oil and ran it again. Oil still golden after run but milk didn't steam off in the valve covers. At this point I'm thinking reversion but not sure. What's next.... Leak down ..... Best I got was 40% on port side and best was 60% on starboard side. So I guess my question is.... Is the surveyor in any fashion held responsible for not checking the oil after the run?
So here is the other problem, since I had land survey on Thursday and sea trial on sat. The surveyor left his notes at the office. I was told after I had the boat in the driveway of my house that the F-ing hour clock didn't advance..... Are you fuc$ing kidding me....if I had known that I would have never bought the boat.. God I'm sorry for writing this book but there is a lot of crap to say. Does anyone know about recourse with surveyors ?
Used to survey marine electronics. Never seen recourse with a surveyor beyond the fee.

Those contracts usually have more strings than a box of tampax, but give it a good read.

The minute the guy mentions he knew it had three year old gas, means he's either to dumb to know just running it hard could blow it up, or he didn't care- either way bad.

Hope you are not well and truly F-ed.

Uncle Dave
Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want something with a warranty , buy new ...if not , roll the dice and take your chances ! It is a safe assumption that any used boat is gonna have problems . their boats , not a Toyota or Honda !
Old 10-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

The buyer surveyed the last boat I sold. Looked at the motor in the driveway with the rest of the boat. Took it to the ramp and after the sea trial I dropped him at the dock and that was it. No post ride inspection at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.