Notices

Got #%ucked again

Old 10-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donzi matt
16 year old 500 hp's, I would have been banking on a top end job regardless. The bottom ends are pretty damn tough on these things, I doubt what you have going on is catastrophic.
I think you right. First things first. I'm going to pull the heads and see what he got. Pressure test exhaust magnaflux heads.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Another thing, if you have a broken exhaust valve spring or even just a misfiring cylinder it will revert water, especially on the early style 500's with the short risers.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 238 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew555
Boatnt. look at the one from Finland . Same setup I have
sorry I thought you have 502s,, so you got the 500hp ,that explains the carbs,,other than the valve spring issues they are great engines,install some ISKY springs ,new seals and new retainers and run it,,

Last edited by boatnt; 10-30-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:38 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,197 Likes on 1,447 Posts

I backed it into my driveway and flushed it out. Then checked the oil......... I found a milkshake in the port motor.....
Your driveway doesn't happen to go up does it ?

or the nose of the trailer lower than the rear - how it sat at that present time ?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Your driveway doesn't happen to go up does it ?

or the nose of the trailer lower than the rear - how it sat at that present time ?
I thought about that myself. But my driveway is only pitched about 3" over 70' plus the trailer was jacked all the way up.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
sorry I thought you have 502s,, so you got the 500hp ,that explains the carbs,,other than the valve spring issues they are great engines,install some ISKY springs ,new seals and new retainers and run it,,
Great minds. It's already in the works hahaa! Worst case after rebuilding heads do another leak down and see what I got.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 775 Likes on 308 Posts

Great minds. It's already in the works hahaa! Worst case after rebuilding heads do another leak down and see what I got.
Well that little tidbit of info would have been helpful at the beginning of the thread . Still would pump out all the fuel and start over.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 800 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
I am far from a genius or even a smart man.

I am smart enough though to know that when I am buying a expensive toy to do my homework all around. From survey to trailer, to the boat it self.

I would say my survey at $789 was prob one of the cheapest things I had to buy actually.

Let me guess though. Instead of doing a survey I should hire someone like you and take your word though. I get it now...cause we all know the mechanic or repair biz is one never to have had a shady person or someone that isn't as qualified as they say they are.
idk about you but Jamie services most of the boats north of New York. I think I'd beleive him more than some surveyor. reason why I had him check out my gun before I made the purchase. and why I'm a repeat customer for top end motor rebuilds. just my 0.02
Old 10-31-2014, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
idk about you but Jamie services most of the boats north of New York. I think I'd beleive him more than some surveyor. reason why I had him check out my gun before I made the purchase. and why I'm a repeat customer for top end motor rebuilds. just my 0.02

So you did your homework and research prior to hiring someone you're telling me?

That's all I was pointing out. In the end you are taking a strangers opinion be it survey or mech. Do your homework on who you hire.

There are just as many Bad and shady mechanics as there are survey. That does not mean they all are is what I am saying.

I didn't knock his work cause I don't know it. I knocked his statement about all surveyors being a joke or ripoff. That is just not true, that same statement can be made about him as well and his field of work, which is all not true. Just need to know who you are hiring and what you are getting for what you pay.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 10-31-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:28 AM
Registered

Unless the hour meter froze up while in storage for 3 years, the owner had to know that it wasn't working. That would lead me to believe that he probably wasn't straight forward about other things.

Even though you didn't have the full survey in writing yet, did you not at least call the surveyor up and ask if he had any concerns before signing on the dotted line? If not, you are at least partly to blame here. Why even get a survey done if you're going to buy the boat before you get the results??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.