Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon >

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Notices

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Old 11-02-2014, 05:35 AM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

OK for those who forgot to set their clocks back last night, here is a recap of where we are at this point.

First of all by going to the National Powerboat website and clicking on Around Long Island, there is a nice chart of the course. It goes in a clockwise direction.

People who have said they are interested in partcipating in this race. This is not a definite committment, just positive interest at this point.

18 foot single engine Donzi. Former competitor of this race.
28 foot Ghost twin outboards
29 foot Super Vee lite 600
36 Skater 500 EFI
40 foot Outerlimits
40 foot MTI cat
42 Cigarette
42 Chief
47 Fountain triple 525
50 foot Nor Tech vee turbine
52 MTI cat

That puts the interested number at 12

We also have what we will call potential interest if certain things match requirements they have. These requirements may be anything from what has already been stated here to......Time off from work so they can travel, vacation time alignment, family obligations etc etc

This range covers at this point approx 7 boats.

If both areas came together that would give us 19 boats at thsi point just barely two days into the request for interest. If we can keep this going and have more interested people in the next couple of weeks, that would give us a strong presentation to the sponsor.

Also remember each boat will have a tracking device so the race can be watched live all,over the world....many more eyes. When the British boat in our first race broke down, his cell phone started ringing .....his friends all over Europe had been watching and wanted to know what happened.

Just had an offer from another TV network that might be interested in covering the event.

Trying to pin down a wekend so people can start planning ahead and it looks like August 22- 23 in 2015.

Last edited by Top Banana; 11-02-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is going to stand for a long time..
http://marinetechnologyinc.com/2012/...rushes-record/
Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 341 Posts

The race course.

Photo Credit: Top Banana [OSO ID]

Old 11-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by quicklt1
this is going to stand for a long time..
http://marinetechnologyinc.com/2012/...rushes-record/
Maybe not. Remember he had perfect conditions that day. On race day it can be a bit rough or perfect conditions......remember in one of the Bimini races we did a few years ago a cat set the record for the round trip from Miami to Bimini and return at over 145 MPH

Stu feels that he can beat his recent record, as he just had a new 52 foot MTI built and has powered it with bigger engines than last time........ and hopes to be in the race next year too.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 boats depending on classes 36 warlock 600 Marcs bravos 38 tg merc 1000 sixes
Old 11-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerjustinhunt
I think you should read about the 2010 race. You'd be surprised what your boat is capable of.

I think the winner in 2010 was a 30 foot Sonic, which is a much faster hull than the Pachanga.

Unfortunately I spun bearing on one motor, so I'm contemplating on buying a new long block with Vortex head. If I go that rout, I'd have to update the top end of the other motor. The boat will still be in the slow compared to the equipment that will be out there (upper-mid 50's at best) but the upgrades should make me more confidant from a reliability standpoint.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Registered

Double post, sorry

Last edited by Top Banana; 11-02-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 873 Likes on 322 Posts

I love the concept of this race. I guess I just don't get today's offshore scene. The big dogs will go from all over the country to show off their hardware and run up and down a river in AZ but to get them to show up and run the boats on a course their boats are made for (or aren't they?) there's like 12 boats.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Registered

taking a break on the Florida turnpike heading south.

This type of racing when it first started and the racers themselves were called Sportsmen. The idea was there were no factories and the racers wanted to test both themselves and their boats. I can see by the replys we have here a revival of that spirit. Just to finish the race is a great achievment because you will be racing in whatever conditions occur on that day.

Success in this type of endurance marathon has a lot to do with the preparation of the boat. Make sure every nut and bolt is triple checked. Make sure the drives and engines have been gone over and every detail rechecked. It looks easy on the chart....Start and don't turn too far left and just follow the coast. Get a good chart of the area and know what compass heading is for each leg. Summer fog shows up in this area on a regular basis. You may have calm water that day but you may also have hazy or foggy conditions. Have a good compass, not just GPS in case that goes out on you.

There are plenty of places to pull in for assistance along the way and we will post a map of where they are and more detailed info as we get closer to the date.

Pass the word on the other sites too. I can see a big fleet taking the green flag on that day. This is exciting and maybe a reason that I could talk some of the old dogs like myself.... into casting off for one more run......I know youth and talent....but don't forget old age and treachery. How about a Senior Class over 65?

Time for a flyer to be done up so it can be passed out at poker runs and boat shows and everywhere else we can think of.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd love to run the race just to be part of a real grass roots event. I'm no closer to entering than crunching numbers: hauling the boat 1k miles each way, expenses, readiness of machine and entry fee. I do applaud those who commit to make the run and truly hope the endurance style runs return to prominence in our sport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.