Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mercury Racing Showcasing Four-Valve Heads on LS Crate Engine at SEMA Show >

Mercury Racing Showcasing Four-Valve Heads on LS Crate Engine at SEMA Show

Notices

Mercury Racing Showcasing Four-Valve Heads on LS Crate Engine at SEMA Show

Old 11-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

"Now what I would really like to see is for Merc (or someone else) to develop a similar kit for the BBC!!!!! "

But with enclosed and oiled timing CHAINS! Rubber timing belts are bad news and catastrophic damage waiting to happen on a non freewheeling engine.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
"Now what I would really like to see is for Merc (or someone else) to develop a similar kit for the BBC!!!!! "

But with enclosed and oiled timing CHAINS! Rubber timing belts are bad news and catastrophic damage waiting to happen on a non freewheeling engine.
i believe that is how gm did it on the northstar engines.the 4 valve per cylinder overhead cam design is good but i don,t see it being better than the ls heads at an rpm range that most marine engines will run at.i suspect mercury marine has a plan for these heads and it,s not for a 400 hp boat engine.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:43 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,353 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Valvetrain stability + thus reliability is much better on the pushrod small blocks vs big blocks anyway.
Lighter valves, lighter retainers, lighter valve springs, pushrods not at an odd angle, etc,etc.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 603 Likes on 361 Posts

I just don't see the need. Marinize the ford, Toyota or Nissan OHC v8s if that's what you want.

I recall Porsches DOHC V8 had big bore spacing that could be stroked to 400+ also.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abmotorman
Oh boy, someone better tell Edelbrock not to warranty this motor. It makes too much HP?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edel...46326/10002/-1

No doubt the exhaust port exiting downward creates some challenges but a thru prop or utilizing the gap between to rear of the engine and the transom would be an option to discharge above the water line.

My main point to this whole discussion is Mercury Racing is recognizing GM's weaknesses and is proactive by reducing valvetrain weight. How many foreign engines still use pushrods? I can't name one! I'm a Blue oval / Bowtie guy but how long to we have to wait for the engineers from GM to design some decent valvetrains?
Thats a built shortblock, not a stock one.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
I just don't see the need. Marinize the ford, Toyota or Nissan OHC v8s if that's what you want.

I recall Porsches DOHC V8 had big bore spacing that could be stroked to 400+ also.
That would go over about as good as a screen door on a submarine
Old 11-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

classic line.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:51 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,353 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Same schit I heard as a Teen Ager 30+yrs ago, and it still goes on today.

Pushrod motors are antiquated. They are near obselence. Blah blah blah blah blah.

Look at what is still kicking serious azz.

Come on people.

Go drive a new Vette and you'll wanna go home and sleep all cuddled up with your pushrods.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Chrysler is setting the bar with 700+ hp off the showroom floor. Expect gm and ford to be working on comparable numbers, lest they want to sit back with egg on their face.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=VortechSS;4214304]I've spent a ton of time in the past couple months trying to figure out how to make this work.... I'm a HUGE GM guy and play with LS junk every day but it's hard to look past the HP/CID of the new Coyote 5.0s. They are mean for their size. Take that math and apply it to 400+ cube builds then add more efficiency with bigger cams and we're looking at 650
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/20...stang-engines/

The power of Voodoo?

Don’t get too used to the snarling Coyote, though, because it may not be around for too long. The upcoming 2016 Mach 1 is rumored to have an all new V8 known as ‘Voodoo’. In the Mach 1, with the help of forced induction, this engine might put out as much as 650 horsepower.

Coming to a theatre near you..Sooner than you might think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.