Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Watch this drone video of one of the largest raft offs! >

Watch this drone video of one of the largest raft offs!

Notices

Watch this drone video of one of the largest raft offs!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
In June? That's odd. The bay is one of the first places to warm up. Although, this year coming off the bad winter and late spring it took a minute. I guess early June is only a one beer walk and then it's back aboard. Lol
It might have been July. I'm getting old and the memory is fading. It was during a Sunsation Rally back in the early 2000's. Water was probably low/mid 70's but being used to upper 80's degree water during the same time at LOTO it sure felt cold!
Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 202 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by buck183
Thought someone would say that. Rule number one with a stern drive is to not idle them in gear with drive trimmed high.

What's the other option?

Buck
dont go? 4000 boats dont have a problem doing this so not sure what you're wanting to hear.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts

Some guys just barrel roll their Sunny's into the lineup. Drives stay high and dry!!
Old 11-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Registered

Or launch their bajas on cruisers, that way they get the best of both worlds. Speed and comfort. Too soon?
Old 11-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

dont go? 4000 boats dont have a problem doing this so not sure what you're wanting to hear.
Settle. Not upset, just intrigued.

Buck
Old 11-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Registered

I can bring my boat to waist deep and have 6" from drive to bottom without trimming it up. That's with trs's and fully loaded boat. Typically i pull into that point, kill the motors, raise the drive a bit, and a buddy will walk us in line while the rest of the crew gets ropes and bumpers ready. Everyone has their own way but that works for me.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off like a dick. Have a good one buddy.

Last edited by 12meter joe; 11-21-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like lots of fun. I'd like to experience that sometime.

Riddle me this...is see people walking around in waist deep water. I see large boats with a deep draft. Where I come from one wouldn't dream of putting their boat in water that shallow for fear of tearing something up. How are these boats not damaging props or drives in 3' of water?

Buck
See lots of boats polishing the props blowing a trail of sand. That's how you know its getting shallow. No worries all sand.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Far from upset buddy and nothing against you. I just come across some many posts of people asking questions, getting replies, and shooting them all down like everyone is wrong. Its unreal nowadays.

I can bring my boat to waist deep and have 6" from drive to bottom without trimming it up. That's with trs's and fully loaded boat. Typically i pull into that point, kill the motors, raise the drive a bit, and a buddy will walk us in line while the rest of the crew gets ropes and bumpers ready. Everyone has their own way but that works for me.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off like a dick. Have a good one buddy.
Thanks for the reply. Appreciated.

Now that I read your explanation of how everyone does it I see that JohnAT answered my question. When he said "walk the boat in" I didn't think he actually meant someone physically walked the boat in. Your wording made it crystal clear to me. You do actually have someone "walk the boat in". Makes complete sense. I could easily see us doing that.

This looks like something our family would enjoy doing.

Thanks again....
Old 11-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply. Appreciated.

Now that I read your explanation of how everyone does it I see that JohnAT answered my question. When he said "walk the boat in" I didn't think he actually meant someone physically walked the boat in. Your wording made it crystal clear to me. You do actually have someone "walk the boat in". Makes complete sense. I could easily see us doing that.

This looks like something our family would enjoy doing.

Thanks again....
I hope you can make it out sometime! A lot of people will anchor just outside of the "raft" and walk in every now and again. That seems to work a little better if you have little ones out there. Can get a little crazy in the center.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:11 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buck..we are headed there in Aug 2015. Pull yours up or ride with us. We are planning a bunch of trips to new places. And remember I run my boat on the Chain in Illinois. Avg water depth is 4-5 feet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.