Notices

Speed records-Piston power

Old 09-03-2002, 03:07 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Bayley
Here's a question...

Who holds the all-out piston driven watercraft speed record (any type of piston driven boat)? I took a friend out on the water last year and he claimed his Uncle held (or still holds) the water speed record for piston powered boats. His boat is supposed to be on display in the Motorsport's Museum in Novi, Michigan.

Anyone know?
Does your friends uncle own one of those 4000 hp 19 foot v-drive boats ???
Old 09-03-2002, 03:31 PM
Callan Marine

I agree it is Roy Duby at 200.42 mph with Merlin power. The record was set in UIM class 1116 for "Unlimited with immersed propeller" in 1962.

Duby's record is/was commonly refered to as the "propeller driven speed record" or "world prop speed record". Last year, Russ Wicks set a new record (UIM class 3441 - Propeller Driven Fling Mile-Special Event) breaking Duby's speed with a mark of 205.494 mph in a Lycoming powered hydro.

dc

Old 09-03-2002, 05:01 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

dc - Thanks for the numbers!
Old 09-03-2002, 05:04 PM
ssherman

Why do the top fuel hydro's not qualify ? They are making passes in the 220's if memory serves me correctly.

Old 09-03-2002, 05:06 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Daz what I'm talkin' bout
Old 09-03-2002, 05:40 PM
Callan Marine

I am not sure for Top Fuel Hydros. Unlimited Hydro's can only set records during class competition. That said, I guess either could enter a "Special Event" sanctioned by UIM/APBA to attempt a "Speed Record". The allowed distances include nautical mile, statute mile, and kilometer (aquabikes @ 500 metres). In the case of the Top Fuel Hydro, these distances may prove a greater test of reliability than speed.

Old 09-03-2002, 05:46 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Shane - APBA/UIM certified speed records (that I am aware of anyway) are average speeds for one kilometer. Top fuel hydros register top speed at the end of a quarter mile. An example would be our kilo run in Cleveland where the GPS recall was 195.6 but our average kilo speed due to the short runnup was only 191.469 mph.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:57 PM
Callan Marine

KiloKat,

Do you think the timing equipment used to determine "average speed" in sanctioned attempts is as accurate/reliable as GPS?

dc

Old 09-03-2002, 06:07 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Personally NO - but that is the way it is I guess. Have you seen what they use at the APBA events?

I really don't understand why modern (and I belive more accurate) timing/speed technology that exists today isn't used. Especially when a certified world speed record is at stake!!

I think you would agree that the most accurate technology available should be used.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:20 PM
Callan Marine

KiloKat,

I have not seen it but understand it is manually operated scanners or photoelectric devices that trigger stopwatches.

I agree that the best available techology should be utilized. Has anyone made proposals to the Timing Subcommittee for alternative methods for approval?

dc

Quick Reply: Speed records-Piston power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.