Notices

Tug of speed :)

Old 12-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Tug of speed :)

Hi!

Merry Christmas from Norway to all at OSO

I have noticed since I bought my Verado 350 Sci that its very important to bleed the power assisted steering properly. I need to do it every year. If not my narrow Phantom 25 (5,5 feet wide) will be a handful to drive and I loose bowlift due to crabbing. If done properly I gain 2-3 mph instantly. However, there is still a little backclash. Approx 1/2 - 1 inch, Is this common to the Merc power asisted steering? The reason for asking is that when I used SeaStar Pro hydraulic steering on my Promax 300, I did not have so much backclash. However, the good thing with the powerassisted Verado steering is that there is no tug in the steering wheel whatsoever. Even with the engine jacked high. With the Seastar Pro a torquetamer was a must.

Then we come in to the next issue When I owned the Promax 300 I used a Torquemaster lower unit with an built in torquetamer. The boat drove as on rails. Top speed that time was approx 75-76 mph, With the Verado 350 Sci the top speed is 81-82 mph, but the gearcase is a little more tricky to handle at wot. The gearcase is bigger both in diameter and lenght. And the skeg is deeper as well.

So the questions are;

1. Is there something I can do to make the Merc racing power assisted steering more exact and with no backclash? Replace tubes, etc
2. Is there a better helm I can buy and still use the Merc electrical pump and Verado steering cylinder?
3. or does it make sense adding a torque tamer in a system with no tug in the wheel. The tug normally gives you a instant "need" to counteract, and due to this you get crabbing. Your lower unit will not be straight and you will loose speed.

I also plan to buy a bigger Merc when it arrives. Not in 2015, but in 2016. Hopefully they will deliver a Sportmaster lower unit in 2016. If not I will approach blow out - but thats a different tread to come

Thanks for your help.

Cheeers, Toffen

Last edited by Toffen; 12-26-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not go with a hydraulic helm. With a hydraulic helm the engine or outdrive is absolutely rock steady. There will be NO side to side movement of the engine or outdrive.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Registered

Hi!

The engine is rock steady. No slack what so ever, But its a little play in the wheel before the engine reacts. I have a Electro-hydraulic Power steering standard with Verado 350 sci.

Cheeers, Toffen
Old 12-26-2014, 02:57 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I am not the expert about Verado's but follow a tab bit of Merc training on them. These are a app I would never see being inland & lake boating use. First have to ask if you are using the correct fluid that's needs to go into the units. If I recall you need to use SAE 0w- 30 power steering fluid in these apps. If you do not use the correct fluid, the oil used that's not correct will foam up causing air in the system. You CAN NOT use the Sea Star hydraulic steering fluid in these apps and expect to work correctly. It won't.

I do have a lot of the OEM in class training manuals on the Verado's but not to sound stupid, I have never even looked at them. I can not waste my time on stuff that I would not see to work on. I will see if something in the current manuals will list why to your problem(s). Once again, I do know about using the correct fluid like I mentioned. I will have to double check to make sure that is the correct fluid SAE 0w-30 power steering fluid to use in your app.

Last edited by BUP; 12-26-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:09 PM
Registered

HI!

Thanks BUP. I will check if my dealer use the correct fluid. Thats essential.

Cheeers, Toffen
Old 12-26-2014, 03:12 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Please check and let me know if that fixes it or not. if not I will look for any parts and or service bulletins along with the class training manuals if they have problem solvers mentioned about the steering systems. good luck with it.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Toffen
I have several mates with the 350sci on 21' deep v ski racing boat applications.
They are certainly a handful compared to a 300xs and cable/bat wing steering systems. I can't say I noticed a huge amount of play in the helm however I noted that on all of them you had to walk the wheel left to keep the boat going straight when running full trim. This annoys the sh!t out of me! Makes it very hard to drive at speed in large choppy water.
I personally think it's probably not designed to handle the torque loads on the steering in our application and is having to go over relief when at full trim.
I would try peterunwin on here. He designs and builds his own hydraulic steering set ups and is one smart dude.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to derail. Your boat is 5 1/2' wide?
Old 12-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What's with the two cryptic posts??
Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Registered

Hi!

Yes, its 5,5 feet wide 25 feet long.

Cheeers, Toffen

Originally Posted by scarab63
Sorry to derail. Your boat is 5 1/2' wide?
Attached Thumbnails Tug of speed :)-phantom-juli-2015.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.