what exactly its the scam? selling on craigslist

Notices

what exactly its the scam? selling on craigslist

Old 12-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts
Default what exactly its the scam? selling on craigslist

Ok, i currently have a boat for sale on Ebay and I get this text with the obvious broken English saying price is fine blah blahblah, need your Paypal email address, will send funds shipper will pick up tomorrow. Ok so what's the scam here? The item I am selling iis nothing special and is not worth shipping any where so it can't be to fake the Paypal stuff and get item out of here. Its obvious from the correspondence that the buyer knows nothing about the item let alone any direct questions about what it is he its buying. what can you do with just a Paypal address without any other info? I don't get it what's the scam? Just curious really
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 280 Posts

He pays you, you ship item, he then files a claim like never received item or not as described, paypal takes back the money from your account and give it back to customer and then you have to fight but you will loose!

I learned sending 2 bike wheels in ny years ago and when i told the buyer i would go back to his house to get them back and he better give them back to me, he called the police and they called me saying i was filed for potential attack on a US citizen and was almost banned to cross the border...

Tell me about that... Protecting tHieves...
Old 12-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The other common thing is all of the internet scammers/hackers get paid 1/10th a penny or so for each email address to send junk mail to. So they send out emails to anyone that lists something on eBay or CL asking for your email address to add to their list to sell that list to people for Afew dollars. Surprisingly lucrative if you can get enough email addresses.

And a paypal email is going to be a valid email. Also they could use your paypal email In a scam email as well

Last edited by mickeymcclgn; 12-27-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed with above, but they could also hack your paypal account as well.

They may or may not get any money from that, but its still another PITA that you dont need around.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most typical is that they overpay you with a fake check (or bad PayPal deposit) and then say "oops, just send me the overage." You send them the overage and then your bank comes back to you and says the check/money order/deposit or whatever was fake/reversed. You are out what you sent them.

Last edited by Quick2500; 12-27-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Broken English regarding an item that's not worth shipping?

Add a blurry photo and that's a future swap shop ad!
Old 12-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Watcha sellin willis??
Old 12-27-2014, 10:29 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Post 4 and 5 is exactly correct. they will try to hack your pay pal account or the other scam is they are very willing to send you a fake check over the payment of what you are asking for to get you send the difference back right away. Then they will cash your payment as fast as possible but their check to you is fake / no good. . Tell them its a cash deal only in hand. Do not give out your personal info for anything especially your pay pal account. These are scams that have been around for years.

Last edited by BUP; 12-27-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:01 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Watcha sellin willis??
a Wellcraft Nova lol

actually one of my old trucks I just said boat so I could keep this in gen discussion lol

interesting replys, the truck I'm selling aint worth shipping anywhere its just a tired old shop truck that hasnt been used in years. I mean even if I did allow the paypal funds scam and even let them take it they would have way more in it then they would ever get out of it.

a 1/10th of a cent per email still seems like a lot of work for not a lot of money but they must be doing something because I cant remember the last time a ran a craigslist ad and didnt get one of these replys no matter what it was. This guy started texting me and I have been screwing with him ever since. just random texts asking stupid questions about doing this deal. told him my email address for paypal was [email protected] with contact name Haywood Jablowme. he replied Fu€k you then I really started texting. one after another after another, just random sh!t like "hey I wanna sell you my number one excellent truck" or "hey you really gonna go for good ride in my premo super great truck" just random stuff one after another. Hell its coming from a number that shows up maybe I'll just call him tomorrow right about the time he wanted to have it picked up lol
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 12-27-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How many goats and/or rubles will you're excellence super truck sell for to my garage? LMAO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.