New rules for United States travel to Cuba

Old 01-17-2015, 11:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default New rules for United States travel to Cuba

The following article was published by the Caribbean Journal

http://www.caribjournal.com/2015/01/...ravel-to-cuba/

Following this month’s historic thawing of relations between Cuba and the United States, the US government has announced a series of diplomatic and economic changes.

Those changes include major shifts to the regulations governing travel to Cuba, although it does not mean full, unencumbered travel to the Caribbean island.

So what do they mean?

There are currently 12 categories of authorized, or legal, travel to Cuba for American citizens.

Previously, anyone seeking to travel under these categories, which range from journalistic activity to humanitarian projects to educational experiences, had to make an application to the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control.

The changes mean that now no application is necessary for these kinds of trips.

The changes also mean that travelers will now be allowed to use US credit and debit cards in Cuba, and that there is no specific dollar limit on authorized expenses in Cuba.

“Authorized travelers will be allowed to engage in transactions ordinarily incident to travel within Cuba, including payment of living expenses and the acquisition in Cuba of goods for personal consumption there,” the Treasury Department said.

Travelers will also be able to import up to $400 worth of goods acquired in Cuba for personal use, with a maximum of $100 of alcohol or tobacco products.

And travel agents and airlines will be authorized to provide authorized travel and air carrier services without the need for a specific OFAC license as well.

“We firmly believe that allowing increased travel, commerce, and the flow of information to and from Cuba will allow the United States to better advance our interests and improve the lives of ordinary Cubans,” said Josh Earnest, US President Barack Obama’s Press Secretary. “Today, the U.S. Departments of the Treasury and Commerce took a significant step forward in delivering on the President’s new direction by publishing regulatory amendments to existing Cuba sanctions. These changes will immediately enable the American people to provide more resources to empower the Cuban population to become less dependent upon the state-driven economy, and help facilitate our growing relationship with the Cuban people.”

These are the kinds of travel that don’t require a license:

Family visits
Official government business
Journalistic activity
Professional research / meetings
Educational activities
Religious activities
Public performances. Athletic Competitions, Clinics, Exhibitions
Support for the Cuban people
Humanitarian projects
Activities of private foundations or research institutes
Exportation, importation or transmission of information
Certain authorized export transactions

Some are aware of my interesting trip to Cuba aboard Team PREDATOR in July of 2009. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...vana-cuba.html
When I returned US Customs advised me not to return until it opened up to US citizens which I reluctantly agreed to. It looks like it is now possible to return when I look at these new rules. I will check with US Customs when back in FL next week and see how they feel about myself and a small group of boats heading across. I am hopeful but think it may take a bit of time for them to figure it out and advise me. Probably best if I pay a visit to their Key West office and speak directly with them.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails New rules for United States travel to Cuba-havana-capitolio-building-567x382.jpg  
Old 01-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 294 Likes on 101 Posts

so when can we get Cohibas? (I know nothing about cigars lol)

Flying over Cuba about ten years ago on the way to Jamaica i remember my travel agent saying it was only a matter of time that it was going to open up. She had just returned from a trip there if memory serves, heck i didnt think you could go there at all. She went on about how it was going to be the next vacation hot spot in the Caribbean
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-17-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
She went on about how it was going to be the next vacation hot spot in the Caribbean
Totally agree. It will again be what it was before that POS Castro government. Big ballers paradise. Can't wait. I'm in
Old 01-17-2015, 02:08 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 294 Likes on 101 Posts

sure looked good from the air as we flew over . . . . but then again so does toledo lol . . . .

Bob what was the reason custom advised not to return? Is it because of our security or something with being over there in general? Just curious really . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-17-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

sure looked good from the air as we flew over . . . . but then again so does toledo lol . . . .

Bob what was the reason custom advised not to return? Is it because of out security or something with being over there in general? Just curious really . . .
They would not give me a reason Dave and I did not want to be confrontational about it. The 2 officers that came to the Galleon Marina to check us out said that there was a big debate going on in their office whether we broke the embargo or not. We did not bring anything back, not even a single cigar per my instructions to the crew but there was still a travel embargo ...... for Americans, which we were not. I think it was because they did not like the idea of a US port ( Key West ) being a jumping off point to easily head across to Cuba. It may have been a grey area of the law. After an hour they got a call from their office that they would let us go as long as I signed a document that would essentially prohibit me from going again until it opened up to US citizens. I agreed and went to their office and signed as I figured to get into a legal battle with the US government is pretty much a no win situation. LOL The officers I dealt with were courteous and professional so that certainly helped.

Just a funny side story, when we arrived at the Galleon I called the 800 number for US Customs and reported our arrival. It went like this:

Bob: This is Robert B reporting our arrival in Key West harbor from Havana, Cuba.

US customs officer: WHAT?

Bob: This is Robert B reporting our arrival in Key West harbour from Havana, Cuba.

US customs officer: ...... but no one calls us that comes from Cuba

Bob: Well we are here at the Galleon Marina. We have a CAN documented vessel and all CAN crew. Would you like me to come out to the airport to clear ?

US customs officer: No, you stay right there, we will be coming to you.

Bob to crew: We might be in trouble, he did not sound too happy. LOL
Old 01-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

so when can we get Cohibas? (I know nothing about cigars lol)

Flying over Cuba about ten years ago on the way to Jamaica i remember my travel agent saying it was only a matter of time that it was going to open up. She had just returned from a trip there if memory serves, heck i didnt think you could go there at all. She went on about how it was going to be the next vacation hot spot in the Caribbean
Yep, that's what I want to know. When can I enjoy a REAL Cuban cigar!
Old 01-17-2015, 03:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

When we were there in 2009 there were only 4 other boats tied up. I just went to Google Earth for look see and as you can see from this recent image there are probably a couple dozen boats tied up which is more than I expected to see. I doubt many of them are owned by Cubans. You will notice no slips and all and dockage is along the sea wall. There is probably room for few hundred more boats. It will be interesting in the years ahead to compare images and see the increase in boats in Marina Hemingway.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails New rules for United States travel to Cuba-marina-hemingway-1.jpg  
Old 01-17-2015, 03:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Yep, that's what I want to know. When can I enjoy a REAL Cuban cigar!
Maybe I should be taking orders? LOL
Old 01-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
The following article was published by the Caribbean Journal

http://www.caribjournal.com/2015/01/...ravel-to-cuba/

Following this month’s historic thawing of relations between Cuba and the United States, the US government has announced a series of diplomatic and economic changes.

Those changes include major shifts to the regulations governing travel to Cuba, although it does not mean full, unencumbered travel to the Caribbean island.

So what do they mean?

There are currently 12 categories of authorized, or legal, travel to Cuba for American citizens.

Previously, anyone seeking to travel under these categories, which range from journalistic activity to humanitarian projects to educational experiences, had to make an application to the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control.

The changes mean that now no application is necessary for these kinds of trips.

The changes also mean that travelers will now be allowed to use US credit and debit cards in Cuba, and that there is no specific dollar limit on authorized expenses in Cuba.

“Authorized travelers will be allowed to engage in transactions ordinarily incident to travel within Cuba, including payment of living expenses and the acquisition in Cuba of goods for personal consumption there,” the Treasury Department said.

Travelers will also be able to import up to $400 worth of goods acquired in Cuba for personal use, with a maximum of $100 of alcohol or tobacco products.

And travel agents and airlines will be authorized to provide authorized travel and air carrier services without the need for a specific OFAC license as well.

“We firmly believe that allowing increased travel, commerce, and the flow of information to and from Cuba will allow the United States to better advance our interests and improve the lives of ordinary Cubans,” said Josh Earnest, US President Barack Obama’s Press Secretary. “Today, the U.S. Departments of the Treasury and Commerce took a significant step forward in delivering on the President’s new direction by publishing regulatory amendments to existing Cuba sanctions. These changes will immediately enable the American people to provide more resources to empower the Cuban population to become less dependent upon the state-driven economy, and help facilitate our growing relationship with the Cuban people.”

These are the kinds of travel that don’t require a license:

Family visits
Official government business
Journalistic activity
Professional research / meetings
Educational activities
Religious activities
Public performances. Athletic Competitions, Clinics, Exhibitions
Support for the Cuban people
Humanitarian projects
Activities of private foundations or research institutes
Exportation, importation or transmission of information
Certain authorized export transactions

Some are aware of my interesting trip to Cuba aboard Team PREDATOR in July of 2009. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...vana-cuba.html
When I returned US Customs advised me not to return until it opened up to US citizens which I reluctantly agreed to. It looks like it is now possible to return when I look at these new rules. I will check with US Customs when back in FL next week and see how they feel about myself and a small group of boats heading across. I am hopeful but think it may take a bit of time for them to figure it out and advise me. Probably best if I pay a visit to their Key West office and speak directly with them.

Bob
When you find out let me know Bob! I've been wanting to go there. Count me in. Thanks, Jim
Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by FREEDOM US1
When you find out let me know Bob! I've been wanting to go there. Count me in. Thanks, Jim
For sure Jim. I will be asking on behalf of my American friends as well as myself being a ..... foreigner ? LOL I am travelling on Monday but Tuesday might be a good day for me to call them.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.