Notices

Fortress Aluminum Anchors

Old 09-03-2002, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using a box anchor and really like it. As the others said, just throw it out and it sets, no chain required. It holds my 29' boat pretty well...
Old 09-03-2002, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats a box anchor? Brand or style?
Old 09-03-2002, 06:33 PM
Registered

Here's a link for the company that makes box anchors. I actually won my anchor at a poker run a couple of years ago and have been happy with it. I also bought a sand spike from these guys that works pretty well when keeping the boat on a beach.

http://www.slideanchor.com
Old 09-03-2002, 07:16 PM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dock Holiday - what size box anchor did you buy? My boat weighs about the same as a 36 Outlaw and according to their website they have Sm $119, Lg $149, & X-Lg $219.

I had a Danforth (approx. 18 lbs) and it worked great. I could drop it 2 feet away from me and it would set. I had the ears cut off and filed down for easy storage.

I am still unsure of what to get this time around. I really like the idea of the box anchor because it folds up for easy storage, but again the price seems steep for an anchor when I can buy another Danforth for $65.00.

(Oh ya, I primarily anchor in sand)
Old 09-03-2002, 07:40 PM
dkreuzen

Thumbs up

Try a box anchor, it's the best one I have used. I have been one of 10 boats rafted up off one large model.
What I like is you really don't have to use lots of rope, I usually get by with 2:1. It also resets itself if the wind changes direction.

Dennis

http://www.slideanchor.com/box.html

Old 09-03-2002, 07:45 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bn,

I purchased the "Large".

It really does work great. It folds up and stores in a sturdy vinyl case that comes with it. No chain needed.

I open it up, throw it over the port side, walk up to the bow as the wife is feeding out line, when I get enough just tie it to the front cleat. When we are ready to leave, just get the line, walk it back to the swim platform and reel it in, fold it up and back into the bag.

There is no resetting with this anchor. the boat just swivels around it. It hooks from every direction. I had a 35 Fountain, 29 Fountain, and a 29 Donzi rafted to my boat in a good wind and lots of wave action and I never thought twice about it.

It Works.

Mark
Old 09-03-2002, 08:31 PM
Registered

I'm sold. Time to get a box anchor and a longer chain for the Fortress. It never hurts to have two.
Dan
Old 09-03-2002, 10:17 PM
Intolerant1

I keep an easy to use Danforth style in the front anchor locker and a small box anchor under the back seat. Candy, at the airshow, I had my boat and a 38 Special Baja rafted to me with just my small box anchor out. His boat was tugging my all over so we de-rafted and he threw his box out as well. When rafted my small Box Anchor held both of us fine. If setting and holding isnt real important, I use the Danforth. To bad Mnfastboat has mine, I could have saved you some beer money

Old 09-03-2002, 11:04 PM
Registered

BN

I have no experience with the Guardian anchor, but I just bought a Fortress about a month ago, and so far I love it..I bought it to replace my Box Anchor, not because the box was bad, just didn't like to fool with it all the time, it is about 36 lbs. . The guys are right, all you do is drop the box and your done, You won't even have to worry about your boat moving for the rest of the day, it is the best anchor I have ever had. I am thinking about selling my Box Anchor, after using the light Fortress, I don't want to pick up the box again. I anchor in sand 80% of the time anyway, so the Fortress does fine.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:19 AM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The box anchor sounds good, but sometimes we have rows of boats anchored in front of us at the bay or beach and I am worried about someone stepping on it.

It looks like either way it lands, there will be some teeth sticking up. Are those teeth sharp?

Quick Reply: Fortress Aluminum Anchors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.