Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats? >

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Notices

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Old 01-27-2015, 07:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure how many full time salt boaters are in this conversation, but 3 years ago we moved from LOTO and bought a house on the ICW in the Cape and we boat fulltime in the Gulf now and I can tell you from experience it's more work and more expensive than boating at LOTO.

If we want to get out on the water, I usually go out the day before and wash - wipe the whole boat, then the next day we go boating, then the day after I get to wash - wipe the whole thing down again, could I do some of it the same day, maybe, but then it's all work and no play, if you don't do this routine the salt will take over your boat and that's not happening.

Whereas, back at LOTO is was fairly easy, go boating, come home rinse the boat off, put cover on, drink beer.
Also a biggie, is the fuel when we would go on the FMO runs we would use $400-500 bucks of gas and the CC guys would less than half of that, boating in salt with a CC means spending less money and having more fun....................I'm done.

If I was a fresh water boater that only did a few salt water poker runs, I would go with the go-fast boat and deal with the additional work.

We're lucky we're going to get to do both, Formula at LOTO and a CC in the Gulf..........................also I love these *****, wuzzie comments, grow up.

Last edited by 314joey; 01-27-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 408 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
yes and yes
Nice! Congrats on the new purchase. I knew it looked familiar. I remember seeing that boat out on the water many times.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I have some of the same questions I've seen posted and unanswered. I'm not against egg beaters and cc's they just aren't for me.

1. Doesn't a cc need to be washed also?
2. Doesn't an eggbeater need to be flushed?
3. Don't these cc's have vynil that needs to be cared for?
4. Please someone explain the draft issue as both outboards and outdrives can be trimmed above the bottom of the boat.
5. If its just want you want I get that but trying to defend something by acting as if it doesn't need and work at all has me boggled.

I understand the fuel aspect. Also something that appears lost is basically all performance boats went to the blue motors. The black motors needed a fraction of overall maintenance as they were nowhere near as aggressive. I've seen many a black motor go 1000 hours with no issues. Not trying to start more crap or give anyone hell just curious as to the answers to the questions above.

I have been a saltwater boater my whole life between the Chesapeake bay and Florida. Yes gulf higher content than the bay but salt is salt. I also agree that one of each is best of both worlds. Even if you're making a repair on the big block you can putt around in a cc and still have fun.

I personally wouldn't own a cc before a traditional vhull. To each their own. So cc guys please answer some of my questions.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:49 AM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok I own both a 42 fountain ex and a 39 Nortech CC. Cleaning about the same for both boats flushing much easier with OB ,plug a hose to side of motor and your done. Much easier to cover Fountain put cockpit cover on and your done. OK fun factor , that's the differance go 70 with 10 people on the Nortech Cc or go 80 with 5 people max on the Fountain. 10 mph is no biggie. Maintained of motors oh boy .. Change oil every 100 hours with outboards or change motors every 100 hours with car motors. I like t top on cc keeps me away from skin doctor big plus. Btw if anyone wants a great 2006 42 fountain with 525 it's for sale. Guess it's easy to see which boat is in my future.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I have some of the same questions I've seen posted and unanswered. I'm not against egg beaters and cc's they just aren't for me.

1. Doesn't a cc need to be washed also?
2. Doesn't an eggbeater need to be flushed?
3. Don't these cc's have vynil that needs to be cared for?
4. Please someone explain the draft issue as both outboards and outdrives can be trimmed above the bottom of the boat.
5. If its just want you want I get that but trying to defend something by acting as if it doesn't need and work at all has me boggled.

I understand the fuel aspect. Also something that appears lost is basically all performance boats went to the blue motors. The black motors needed a fraction of overall maintenance as they were nowhere near as aggressive. I've seen many a black motor go 1000 hours with no issues. Not trying to start more crap or give anyone hell just curious as to the answers to the questions above.

I have been a saltwater boater my whole life between the Chesapeake bay and Florida. Yes gulf higher content than the bay but salt is salt. I also agree that one of each is best of both worlds. Even if you're making a repair on the big block you can putt around in a cc and still have fun.

I personally wouldn't own a cc before a traditional vhull. To each their own. So cc guys please answer some of my questions.

For me....

1. Yes a CC needs to be washed. It is about half the work though. After the day, pull in, rinse, scrub, rinse.....store. My current boat.....rinse, scrub, rinse, clean bilge, dry, clean the cabin, lay down a spay way or actual wax, remove wax, and then done....do all that on top of my 45min drive time and it is a lot of time wasted not on the water.

2. I don't complain here. I have quick flush and closed cooled....but if I didn't I could see the extra flush time being a small pain but not a huge one. However it is no shock a egg beater will well out lasts a non closed cooled motor in the salt.

3. Vynil is just as ease as scrub when washing and done. At least on my cabin beast it is the scrub while washing and then hand towels and 409 down below.

4. Draft is for me in terms of close I am getting to the island. Me and my boat friends are island squatters. We run out, sit for a while, then run home or to a water side bar. My current boat drafts about 2' and to get around most islands or close to them they get to less than a 1'. I can only trim up so much till mine just hits bottom. A CC draft far less usually (depends the boat) and you can trim the motor all the way up to props out of water if need be. As it sits my boat is the one that you have to swim to shore while everyone else just pulls right up to the beach.

This is just my over view. No one said a CC doesn't require work, just requires a little less work and makes it easier on the owner. Add in drive times each way and everything to up keep and I lose a lot of time spent on the water having fun.

I guess maybe if I lived on the water it would be different a different story with a lift in my back yard, boat at home, and beer in hand doing the cleaning but for many of us that is not an option. Water front here starts near $400k-$500k. A home like that is not in my future any time soon.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 01-27-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I think you need to pick your friends better. More friends with power boats less freeloaders that wanna use you for the day.
I don`t like my nonboating friends on the boat, they ask too many stupid questions, get too drunk, make a mess and think I`m a shuttle to deliver them to the dock or pick up more friends.
NOT HAPPENING.
You don't have to worry about taking me along, or picking me up at the dock.....I'll just stay home with the chick in your Avatar....Probably just watch some TV.....
Old 01-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
For me....

1. Yes a CC needs to be washed. It is about half the work though. After the day, pull in, rinse, scrub, rinse.....store. My current boat.....rinse, scrub, rinse, clean bilge, dry, clean the cabin, lay down a spay way or actual wax, remove wax, and then done....do all that on top of my 45min drive time and it is a lot of time wasted not on the water.

2. I don't complain here. I have quick flush and closed cooled....but if I didn't I could see the extra flush time being a small pain but not a huge one. However it is no shock a egg beater will well out lasts a non closed cooled motor in the salt.

3. Vynil is just as ease as scrub when washing and done. At least on my cabin beast it is the scrub while washing and then hand towels and 409 down below.

4. Draft is for me in terms of close I am getting to the island. Me and my boat friends are island squatters. We run out, sit for a while, then run home or to a water side bar. My current boat drafts about 2' and to get around most islands or close to them they get to less than a 1'. I can only trim up so much till mine just hits bottom. A CC draft far less usually (depends the boat) and you can trim the motor all the way up to props out of water if need be. As it sits my boat is the one that you have to swim to shore while everyone else just pulls right up to the beach.

This is just my over view. No one said a CC doesn't require work, just requires a little less work and makes it easier on the owner. Add in drive times each way and everything to up keep and I lose a lot of time spent on the water having fun.

I guess maybe if I lived on the water it would be different a different story with a lift in my back yard, boat at home, and beer in hand doing the cleaning but for many of us that is not an option. Water front here starts near $400k-$500k. A home like that is not in my future any time soon.
Got to admit it sounds to me like you're not going to put the same effort into care for a cc you did with the sonic. Washing process and interior cleaning should be the same for either style in my opinion. Good luck with that.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Got to admit it sounds to me like you're not going to put the same effort into care for a cc you did with the sonic. Washing process and interior cleaning should be the same for either style in my opinion. Good luck with that.
It will get proper care just like everything I own. From my boat to my cars, everything is maintained and taken care of to the "T".

My Sonic is just a bit more care than I wish for to keep in a like new condition all the time and after every use. It keeps me from even taking it out sometimes and I just jump on someone else boat instead, that has happened many times sadly.

Maybe....maybe if things were different and money was not what it is and I could afford a house on water or the marina bill for on water storage it would be a different tune.

But 45min pull each way, coupled with about 30min prep rep and about 1.5hrs clean time after every use has gotten very very old, very very fast. Add In the limited room for people and we are at were we are today.

Also if I get a boat 31' or less I can store covered near the water. Something my boat is currently too large for anywhere around here unless paying $500+ a month is in the budget (it isn't).
Old 01-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Registered

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything (except my wife that we may need 300's next year!) Everyone has a different idea of what is fun and enjoyable, I think a lot on this site enjoy breaking down their motors and building them back up, that is understandable, just not for me.

I have a 4 yo boy and the space on a CC is key for me, he can run around the console 100 times and entertain himself, I didnt have kids when I had the PQ but I imagine he would be tough to handle on it. Also just got a puppy and cant wait to bring her out boating, the walk thru transom on my boat is a nice feature, not stepping over anything.

Works for me and that's all I care about, Call me a *****, I can handle it.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Registered

Pete that's perfect. You want it and it works for you. Makes sense.

Nate not that you need to justify to me as its your stuff but in #1 of what I quoted you clearly stated rinse scrub rinse for center console and all that plus waxing of the sonic. That is clearly not taking care of 1 as well as the other. Again your stuff just quoting you.

I really don't understand some of the easier to wash or flushing or draft excuses as both styles are similar in that aspect. Washing a 30 ft I/O or a 30 ft cc seems to me would take the same amount of time. Lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.