Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats? >

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Notices

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Phil clear your pm's
Old 01-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Pete that's perfect. You want it and it works for you. Makes sense.

Nate not that you need to justify to me as its your stuff but in #1 of what I quoted you clearly stated rinse scrub rinse for center console and all that plus waxing of the sonic. That is clearly not taking care of 1 as well as the other. Again your stuff just quoting you.

I really don't understand some of the easier to wash or flushing or draft excuses as both styles are similar in that aspect. Washing a 30 ft I/O or a 30 ft cc seems to me would take the same amount of time. Lol.
I know you are smart enough to know a twin o/b is getting closer to shore than a twin bbc I/o. Not sure how you can't see that.

As far as washing.....yes...about the same time. every time the sonic gets put away it gets waxed, it never once hasn't. The whole boat is painted and the only white is the cockpit. So it I don't it looks like sh*t. Also the cabin has to be vacuumed, wiped down, and cleaned out as well. The CC would get a good wash and scrub but be all white pretty much and not a lot of color. It would get a good wax probably 4 times a year to keep the gloss shine. No need to wax a plain boat with little color every time it is put away.

A CC is much easier. I think you are thinking about these pretty and colorful CC's like a nor-tech, statement, or the like.....ya I am can not play on that field. I am a 33 middle class guy. This Sonic is by far and way the most expensive boat I will ever own. When it is sold I will not be buying a boat at the same price point or even close.

You have said yourself your dad has a Scarab 302 sport. You can honestly say upkeep, cleaning, and keeping maintained is as simple as say that 41 fountain you want?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

Cleared
Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Well no but a 30ft boat and a 42ft boat aren't in the same class. However the cleaning process is the same. We go out on Bills 42 and it doesn't take us long at all to completely clean that boat when we get back. This is my experience with a 42 as I don't own one yet. I always help him with cleaning and covering when we are done. It's the same cleaning principle used on the 30 scarab when I get back with it. Scrub it, flush it, wipe it all down. I think a full boat wax every use is a little insane and if you can do that in 90 mins kiddos to you.

Pure maintenance sure outboards can be easier. Gotta do a water pump on the scarab now. That means go get the trailer pull it out drop a lower unit. Not the case on a big block. Everything has its pros and cons. They both need flushing at the end of the day.

I don't care what type of boat you want it just seems some the excuses thrown out there are a little funny to me. Just like the draft thing. I mean in all honesty we may be talking about a 6 inch difference max on 2 equal sized boats one being I/O and the other OB. I wouldn't personally want either in water less than waist high anyhow. I've pulled mine closer (the formula when I had it and the scarab) with engines off and drives up but I wouldn't start either in less than waist high water. I don't like debris going through engines.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Well no but a 30ft boat and a 42ft boat aren't in the same class. However the cleaning process is the same. We go out on Bills 42 and it doesn't take us long at all to completely clean that boat when we get back. This is my experience with a 42 as I don't own one yet. I always help him with cleaning and covering when we are done. It's the same cleaning principle used on the 30 scarab when I get back with it. Scrub it, flush it, wipe it all down. I think a full boat wax every use is a little insane and if you can do that in 90 mins kiddos to you.

Pure maintenance sure outboards can be easier. Gotta do a water pump on the scarab now. That means go get the trailer pull it out drop a lower unit. Not the case on a big block. Everything has its pros and cons. They both need flushing at the end of the day.

I don't care what type of boat you want it just seems some the excuses thrown out there are a little funny to me. Just like the draft thing. I mean in all honesty we may be talking about a 6 inch difference max on 2 equal sized boats one being I/O and the other OB. I wouldn't personally want either in water less than waist high anyhow. I've pulled mine closer (the formula when I had it and the scarab) with engines off and drives up but I wouldn't start either in less than waist high water. I don't like debris going through engines.

I guess I should be clear. I am 100% going down in size of boat and cost of boat.

Hoping my next boat is no bigger than 30' is the most ideal for me. I am over the big boat thing as well but that would be for CC or I/o.

Also like Pete my main reason over all is plain and simple more room. Everything else is just a bonus I don't have to do or do as much of.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 01-27-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting thread...4 days and 17 pages. Is it the fastest growing thread of all times? Absolutely not. But obviously a popular discussion, there are 3 general opinions available. #1. Your a fan of Sport CC's. #2 I think someone is a looser if they dont have a "traditional go-fast or #3 Who cares lets go boating!

Having been an owner of several go-fast style(I wont dare to say real go-fast) boats and now a convert to a Sport CC. My opinion is more #3. My CC can not replace what is in my opinion a true go-fast. I love the sound of any V-8 with open thru-hull exhaust. Nor can it replace the overall thrill of the ride. I will likely own another go-fast style boat in the future. But for me, right now(likely forever). I cannot not have it all, which is at least 3 boats at the same time. So I picked the boat that checks the most boxes for me. I can fish, I can tube, my kids can climb all over it, they can eat their chips and have crumbs go on the floor, it has an enclosed head, it has a small v-birth for the kids to chill and store stuff. It is reliable(knock on wood) and relatively good on fuel(for a boat). It has a respectable amount of speed. If I choose to I can bring 9 people comfortably. Which does happen sometime...again I am a family man. I have two young children, I have parents and in laws that like to boat. I dont have a problem bring my family with me. Its a give give thing...as my inlaws own a nice condo at the beach...I never pay to use it a an example. Oh and yes I do have other friends that like to boat and are not fortunate enough to be able to have there own boat, so they chip in what they can and come with me.

Is there some overlap between the true go-fast and my CC absolutely, thats the point. I can put my boat in on saturday morning meet up with my boat club buddies and do a fun run or a poker run. Will I be the fastest boat, no. But with a 30 foot(ok 28 with a platform) boat that does 60 I am certainty not the slowest. Most importantly I will have fun! Oh and inevitably the CC's will raft together at lunch or the creek and thats where alot of people will congregate because it has the room for it. Then Sunday morning I can get up and go trolling for Strippers, pick my family up at the dock around lunch time and take them bottom fishing or crabbing (dosent last long) then tubing. If we decide we can run to a raftup or hit a creek somewhere and relax in the afternoon for a while. I can do 100 miles and use 30-40 gallons of fuel with combined running.

In the end I like to do all things on the water, including my family and I feel the Sport CC provides me with my best option in a single boat.

Oh, yeah 17+ pages and the OP has not even been back ; )

Last edited by jadento; 01-27-2015 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#3 and thanks for clarifying......................god knows aren't we supposed to be having fun,................... lets at least make fun of someone other than other boaters......................lol
Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Registered

If all goes as it seems the Scarab in the middle will be my new boat sometime this year.

We shall see though. It is also my new boss as of Mondays current boat.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been watching this thread with extreme interest.

Since I live in Florida center consoles to me are 50 to 1 over go-fast boats on our waterway. With that said I have no desire to build one or ride around in one. And I owned the molds, built and have driven them before. For me? No beuno.

I do see the party/ fun factor with the boat but my idea of boating isn't rafting up and drinking with my buddies at the sand bar. On the other hand quite a few here enjoy that lifestyle so, hence, I am reading and listening to what you guys say.

I saw Speedracer's post and while that 33 was a great running boat we missed the target on the cockpit.

We currently have the new 29 Savage deck complete and in 'cockpit design' stage and are laying up the 1st hull. Our target, before this thread started, was to build a true 29' boat with a Stainless Marine bracket and a pair of Merc 300 4 strokes on the back. Target speed: 80.

So after much listening to others we began designing the open cockpit around people relaxing and having fun, not just going fast. But on top of this many still wanted a usable cabin to get out of the weather as well as the ability to comfortably "overnight" in. Also we did hear the extreme "like" of the entire cockpit being sheltered from the wind by the closed deck when running.

In the end we will still have a bad-azz looking go-fast with amenities and a comfortable party factor. For me? Muy beuno!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
I have been watching this thread with extreme interest.

Since I live in Florida center consoles to me are 50 to 1 over go-fast boats on our waterway. With that said I have no desire to build one or ride around in one. And I owned the molds, built and have driven them before. For me? No beuno.

I do see the party/ fun factor with the boat but my idea of boating isn't rafting up and drinking with my buddies at the sand bar. On the other hand quite a few here enjoy that lifestyle so, hence, I am reading and listening to what you guys say.

I saw Speedracer's post and while that 33 was a great running boat we missed the target on the cockpit.

We currently have the new 29 Savage deck complete and in 'cockpit design' stage and are laying up the 1st hull. Our target, before this thread started, was to build a true 29' boat with a Stainless Marine bracket and a pair of Merc 300 4 strokes on the back. Target speed: 80.

So after much listening to others we began designing the open cockpit around people relaxing and having fun, not just going fast. But on top of this many still wanted a usable cabin to get out of the weather as well as the ability to comfortably "overnight" in. Also we did hear the extreme "like" of the entire cockpit being sheltered from the wind by the closed deck when running.

In the end we will still have a bad-azz looking go-fast with amenities and a comfortable party factor. For me? Muy beuno!

I love the boat I post of yours (the 29 I am pretty sure). It would be silly if looking at a new build to not at least take a look at what you guys came to the table with. It really is a great mix of everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.