Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats? >

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Notices

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Old 01-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

Post 176 and 179 are some of the best.

And my questions finally got answered,,,,, even if it took ICU. I guess I know where I stand. Just like at home no one listens to me! Lol

Now with what Pat just posted, if you had the money do you think something like his 29 with twin 300's would be what you would own?

I know for me I would like it.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

Nate,
That was the 33
Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Post 176 and 179 are some of the best.

And my questions finally got answered,,,,, even if it took ICU. I guess I know where I stand. Just like at home no one listens to me! Lol

Now with what Pat just posted, if you had the money do you think something like his 29 with twin 300's would be what you would own?

I know for me I would like it.

For me it might be. I would have to ride in it naturally but on paper and pics it is a great mixture of what someone like myself would want. I am a fan for sure, just out of my budget currently.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow interesting thread. all this back and forth over a deck configuration? if I read all 19 pages right it's a given that:
-we all love going fast (to me that means anything over 55 mph...mostly thanks to my low budget)
-we all love the sound of a healthy V8
-we all love boats that have those sharp lines, sharp paint schemes and that general "sport" look.
only thing different I can tell is
- if you got more than 4 people going boating with you, you're probably leaning towards a CC otherwise you go traditional go-fast.

to me the CC is really just the next generation that takes that idea of the mid-cabin open bow idea to the next level. and honestly it's just "new" which creates a little excitement in the market....shakes things up...nothing wrong with that in my book.

-I truly love both, sadly I don't have an option as I hate the thought of leaving anyone at the dock, I'm fortunate enough in life to be able to afford a boat and not everybody in my family can, so I've taken it upon myself to try and sicken the lives of my nieces and nephews they way my parents sickened mine thanks to exposure to a boat that means I'm borderline stuck going CC to fit everyone. soon as they get older I'll probably revert to a traditional set up and let them runaround in our little 15' CC....yup I don't own 1 CC I'm nutty enough to own 2
Old 01-27-2015, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
I have been watching this thread with extreme interest.

Since I live in Florida center consoles to me are 50 to 1 over go-fast boats on our waterway. With that said I have no desire to build one or ride around in one. And I owned the molds, built and have driven them before. For me? No beuno.

I do see the party/ fun factor with the boat but my idea of boating isn't rafting up and drinking with my buddies at the sand bar. On the other hand quite a few here enjoy that lifestyle so, hence, I am reading and listening to what you guys say.

I saw Speedracer's post and while that 33 was a great running boat we missed the target on the cockpit.

We currently have the new 29 Savage deck complete and in 'cockpit design' stage and are laying up the 1st hull. Our target, before this thread started, was to build a true 29' boat with a Stainless Marine bracket and a pair of Merc 300 4 strokes on the back. Target speed: 80.

So after much listening to others we began designing the open cockpit around people relaxing and having fun, not just going fast. But on top of this many still wanted a usable cabin to get out of the weather as well as the ability to comfortably "overnight" in. Also we did hear the extreme "like" of the entire cockpit being sheltered from the wind by the closed deck when running.

In the end we will still have a bad-azz looking go-fast with amenities and a comfortable party factor. For me? Muy beuno!
Just curious...what speeds did the 33 do? I personally like the 33 size over the 29. The 29 will be faster of course but the 33 with more space and the better handling in the rough does it for me. IMHO, 4 stroke ob's dont to it for the sport boat crowd. 300xs's or 300 etecs are perfect for that application.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing about outboards......With the modern outboards they have so much guardian systems it is very unlikely to do major damage to one. I have 300xs's and if anything is not optimal, the engine limits power. Low oil, water in the fuel, low voltage, low water pressure you name it it limits you by itself...could be 75% to 5%. It is going to make sure that you get home. Plus with an outboard if your top speed is 75 you can run 75 all day and 70 for a day and a half. You can actually enjoy high rpm running without having tunnel vision on an oil pressure gauge (you inboard guys know what I am talking about!!!!!!!!!) A big block sounds sweet cruzing at 3500 rpm, But a pair or triple 300x's doing 7000 rpm jumping from wave to wave is a whole other sensation!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So where does the Super Sport line from Formula fit in to the mix?? When i was shopping for new boat it was all go fast (Cigs, Donzi..) until I saw the SS line at boat show. Its got the big block throatty sound, holds plenty of people and provisions and can run 58mph all day. 62 on light cool days, kinda amazing running the inlet having a conversation with the comfort of a cadillac.
The main selling factor for me was the cocikpit, arch and top, this puts us on the water all day without the sun wearing you out to quickly and all the space of a cruiser.
I have over 500 hrs of loving life every summer wknd for the last 10 years, so it was a good fit for me. Whatever floats your boat and you smiling its all good
Old 01-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its just a different era. Just like if you pull up to a traffic light and there is a camaro and a wrx most kids are going to relate more to the wrx than the camaro. Where we would be like its just a subaru. A cc will never replace a go fast but there are fewer people that are turning their head when they hear a pair of big blocks idling up the intercoastal. I would like to have one of each myself. The cc to put two thousand hours on riding around with the kids and an apache to limp home on one motor after blowing it up.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jadento
Interesting thread...4 days and 17 pages. Is it the fastest growing thread of all times? Absolutely not. But obviously a popular discussion, there are 3 general opinions available.
There might be 17+ pages, but roughly 15 (or more) of those pages are Nate's endless cc posts...
Old 01-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
There might be 17+ pages, but roughly 15 (or more) of those pages are Nate's endless cc posts...
I try.

I am boat less and bored....what can I say

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.