Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats? >

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Notices

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Old 01-28-2015, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
No but I shipped it to Sarasota and it is in the showroom of the broker. So more than likely won't see it again till I sign papers to the new owners.

I could use it but it is an hour drive to do so. So prob won't be unless some can't miss boating day comes along.
I thought I saw that thing sitting at Suncoast.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
I don't know what a 496 or a 525 costs to rebuild, but I do know a new 300XS is $17k before rebates through Jaco's.... So figure $30-$45k for complete new engines, plus rigging, with no drives to buy or rebuild. Given the rate of blown engines I've read about on this site, if those outboards last 3 seasons, it may be money well spent! LOL
3 seasons? I have seen optimaxes with 3k hours and still running. A brand new powerhead from mercury for a 300xs is around 8k.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
I thought I saw that thing sitting at Suncoast.

That is her.

All shinny and looking for a new home to take good care of her.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:29 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
I have been watching this thread with extreme interest.

Since I live in Florida center consoles to me are 50 to 1 over go-fast boats on our waterway. With that said I have no desire to build one or ride around in one. And I owned the molds, built and have driven them before. For me? No beuno.

I do see the party/ fun factor with the boat but my idea of boating isn't rafting up and drinking with my buddies at the sand bar. On the other hand quite a few here enjoy that lifestyle so, hence, I am reading and listening to what you guys say.

I saw Speedracer's post and while that 33 was a great running boat we missed the target on the cockpit.

We currently have the new 29 Savage deck complete and in 'cockpit design' stage and are laying up the 1st hull. Our target, before this thread started, was to build a true 29' boat with a Stainless Marine bracket and a pair of Merc 300 4 strokes on the back. Target speed: 80.

So after much listening to others we began designing the open cockpit around people relaxing and having fun, not just going fast. But on top of this many still wanted a usable cabin to get out of the weather as well as the ability to comfortably "overnight" in. Also we did hear the extreme "like" of the entire cockpit being sheltered from the wind by the closed deck when running.

In the end we will still have a bad-azz looking go-fast with amenities and a comfortable party factor. For me? Muy beuno!
This is why after almost 15 years I enjoy every talk with you. Your insight and ability to adjust on the fly makes the "cult" it is.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo rr
3 seasons? I have seen optimaxes with 3k hours and still running. A brand new powerhead from mercury for a 300xs is around 8k.
Yup, I agree, I was referring to the blown up I/Os in the previous post, probably caused by running oil that is too thick/thin/slippery (kidding, that's a different winter thread).
Old 01-28-2015, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't seen many large CC's rigged with 300XS's in my area , mostly Verados & Yamahas. Saltwater and year round boating seem to be the enemy.

I actually think this will benefit the techs that take the initiative to learn these motors and not be stuck working at marinas in Fla that will only pay them $15/hr!!!

Last edited by PARASAIL941; 01-28-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 950 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
I have been watching this thread with extreme interest.

Since I live in Florida center consoles to me are 50 to 1 over go-fast boats on our waterway. With that said I have no desire to build one or ride around in one. And I owned the molds, built and have driven them before. For me? No beuno.

I do see the party/ fun factor with the boat but my idea of boating isn't rafting up and drinking with my buddies at the sand bar. On the other hand quite a few here enjoy that lifestyle so, hence, I am reading and listening to what you guys say.

I saw Speedracer's post and while that 33 was a great running boat we missed the target on the cockpit.

We currently have the new 29 Savage deck complete and in 'cockpit design' stage and are laying up the 1st hull. Our target, before this thread started, was to build a true 29' boat with a Stainless Marine bracket and a pair of Merc 300 4 strokes on the back. Target speed: 80.

So after much listening to others we began designing the open cockpit around people relaxing and having fun, not just going fast. But on top of this many still wanted a usable cabin to get out of the weather as well as the ability to comfortably "overnight" in. Also we did hear the extreme "like" of the entire cockpit being sheltered from the wind by the closed deck when running.

In the end we will still have a bad-azz looking go-fast with amenities and a comfortable party factor. For me? Muy beuno!

1. In the 33, what did "missed the target" mean?
2. Any thoughts on a 37 Triple OB? Could it run 80 with 3-300's?
Old 01-29-2015, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 593 Likes on 353 Posts

There's a clean marlago in Sarasota with 300x motors on it. That's pretty rare as I think most people want 4 strokes but it should be one of the fastest out there! I'd guess it could get close to 70.

2002 Marlago FS 35
Sarasota, FLORIDA 34236
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...c=ipadfacebook
Old 01-29-2015, 03:01 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are there any concerns of going 70-80 in a CC? Thinking everyone are not as confined to their seat as in the normal closed bow boat.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Are there any concerns of going 70-80 in a CC? Thinking everyone are not as confined to their seat as in the normal closed bow boat.

I have done 70 in a CC and felt more than fine.

Unless someone was standing or sitting up front, I am not sure how they would be less confined really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.