Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats? >

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Notices

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Old 01-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Are there any concerns of going 70-80 in a CC? Thinking everyone are not as confined to their seat as in the normal closed bow boat.
I can't comment on 70-80, but I'm close to 60mph in a CC, and there are grab bars on the dash, radar arch, and leaning post to lessen SOSs (skank overboard scenarios). I prefer passengers to refrain from sitting in the forward bow area at speed, much to the chagrin of local chiropractors.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

The little go-fasts are disappearing too and being replaced by a fleet of slow moving patios on aluminum tubes full of old people in full street clothes. WTF is going on?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

THOUGHT#1: That was directed at design. However the boat was commissioned as a tender so I had no latitude in cockpit design. I think the success will be a 'user friendly' cockpit similar to the CCs or cruisers.

THOUGHT #2. Can we do twin 400s?

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
1. In the 33, what did "missed the target" mean?
2. Any thoughts on a 37 Triple OB? Could it run 80 with 3-300's?
Old 01-29-2015, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You are correct, sadly.

If the new 29 does what I believe we will look at going back to our grass-root 25. And we are already in redesign on the 22'.

My question is where do the Go-fast manufacturers, like myself, put their clients next after the CC? Many go-fast boaters exited to the CCs. Is anybody going to upgrade from a CC to a CC after dumping all that money? Not many. Paint and repower, keep the hull. Hulls don't go bad.

There are still a bunch of new, young "water junkies" that need the speed. They grew up on the water in their folk's boat and want that for their down-time.

Time to bring them in and move them up the escalator! I don't believe go-fast boating is extinct.

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
The little go-fasts are disappearing too and being replaced by a fleet of slow moving patios on aluminum tubes full of old people in full street clothes. WTF is going on?
Old 01-29-2015, 06:44 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Most young buyers who can not afford a true- new or used wakeboard boat - buy a rec boat and put a wakeboard tower on it.

The young buyers 21 thru 45 most do not even inquire about performance boats. they inquire about wakeboard boats. Heck I still get about 20 calls per day about 300 days out of the year for wake boats and I do not even have a dealership anymore.

AT I thinks owns a Malibu WB also - so see everyone wants a wakeboard boat including High Performance boat builders. Not saying this is bad but the market is 5000 to 6000 boats per year are sold between Malibu and Mastercraft. alone for brand new sales and about 25,000 for used wakeboard boats per year.

Can you imagine if 30 sportboat builders all combined were making 6000 - (200 apiece) boats per year. Heck these writers up here would really have something to talk about instead of the trying real hard to post huge positive things for the sportboat manufacturers.

Last edited by BUP; 01-29-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

Oh man that's hilarious.

My buddy bought a 24' open bow run about and kept it at Monroe harbor in Chicago and just ran it over to the play pen. He invited a work guys family out one and they showed up linens and boat shoes etc. I guess they thought he came from money and had a yacht? Idk. We're just poor salarymen.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The little go-fasts are disappearing too and being replaced by a fleet of slow moving patios on aluminum tubes full of old people in full street clothes. WTF is going on? o

Yeah, in your world in Clarkson, Waterford, Bloomfield, Pontiac,, etc.

Last edited by WTDecker; 01-29-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:05 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting thread. This guy has ZERO interest in center consoles. Have no interest in running around with a bunch of people drinking. No need for all that cockpit space. A Cigarette built for one would be good for me as I prefer to run at speed with no one else in the boat. I do not fish... Go-Fast for life!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

AT I think if you get some entry level stuff at a reduced price with a reliable low maintenance "black" motor that would help get some people back in. Problem is the "go fast" boats have risen so high in dollar that new is out of the question except for the extremely rich. Just my thoughts there.

Biggus I pretty much agree. Don't need that many people with me. I run alone at times or with a couple well deserved friends who know how to respect the stuff of others. I have friends like that who have also taken me out and I give their stuff the utmost respect as well.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
If money was not an issue that Active Thunder is very very cool.
Originally Posted by BUP
Most young buyers who can not afford a true- new or used wakeboard boat - buy a rec boat and put a wakeboard tower on it.

The young buyers 21 thru 45 most do not even inquire about performance boats. they inquire about wakeboard boats. Heck I still get about 20 calls per day about 300 days out of the year for wake boats and I do not even have a dealership anymore.

AT I thinks owns a Malibu WB also - so see everyone wants a wakeboard boat including High Performance boat builders. Not saying this is bad but the market is 5000 to 6000 boats per year are sold between Malibu and Mastercraft. alone for brand new sales and about 25,000 for used wakeboard boats per year.

Can you imagine if 30 sportboat builders all combined were making 6000 - (200 apiece) boats per year. Heck these writers up here would really have something to talk about instead of the trying real hard to post huge positive things for the sportboat manufacturers.
I can understand why a CC is desirable but for the life of me I don't know why anyone would want a wakeboard boat. Those things are flat out turds. A couple years ago I read a test of all the new fancy ones and the fastest ran 45mph with 400+hp. It was only 24ft long too. Plus they ride like **** in snotty water. Why people pay $80+k for one of those is beyond me. Even my 29' MCOB runs 48mph with 8 people and 120 gallons of fuel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.