Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats? >

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Notices

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
The little go-fasts are disappearing too and being replaced by a fleet of slow moving patios on aluminum tubes full of old people in full street clothes. WTF is going on?
Never met Brad Rowland have you? First time I met him years ago was on Lake Shelbyville in Cove 5 in his 38' Scarab AVS. He said it was his "slow family boat". A month later, he showed up in his "fast boat" (the South Bay with triple outboards) in the same cove. After seeing the toon run, I understood what he meant.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I would love to have a really nice "go fast" and go out just me and my wife all the time and run up and down the bay. Just loving the speed and sound burning fossil fuels. That would be the life. But I am Married with children which I choose and am happy with. So thats just not in the cards right now. So for now we enjoy the Sport CC as it allows us to have versatility on the water and accommodate the family. In the future I could certainly be living a different life where I am able to.

So at this point on page 23 I think there is little to argue. Obviously its as simple as different boats for different folks for whatever the reason. I think we can all agree that Go-fasts are bad a$$ toys that everyone loves and wants. But for whatever reason they just dont always make the most sense weather its family reasons or purely what the purpose of the boat is.

So my answer to post #1(which again the OP has never been back to). Its simple economics. Supply and demand. The money dried up and gas prices went up. The market for a go fast boat which is certainly a luxury disposable income item that I would argue is sorta one dimensional in usage went down. The go fasts that were at boats shows were generally production built boats that were available at a local dealer on the floor. The dealers and inventory dried up as the demand went away. Hence not many go fasts at the boat show. My answer to the second question why the Sport CC's now. They simply fill more boaters needs in a boat. I would say there more multi. dimensional.

Obviously the go fast industry still exists(on a smaller scale) its just based on built to order boats now for people with above average disposable income. Which I think is true even for the Sport CC's to.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Traditional "go-fast" cockpit. Seven people. No problem. Please don't pick the video apart. The driver instructs and keeps an eye on all passengers and everyone is holding on and having fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB7F0JWWXsE&index=55&list=LLkXUUYGGbyut0tMUyHOdJ1g
Old 01-30-2015, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 4,730 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Couple of my buddies got out of boating because all the maintenance , cleaning, towing, launching, retrieving was left up to them. They had no help. Too much work
If your wife is a princess and your kids are off getting participation awards I guess I can see the allure of an easier to take care of boat.

My wife would not want anything but a powerboat. (as if she had a choice lol )
I also make it a family affair, there`s no freeloaders on this ship. Everyone pitches in. Makes it much easier powerboat ownership.

Polishing stainless, pumping gear oil and making sure there are no leaks.. working together like a well oiled machine

Start em young.

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 01-30-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 1,426 Likes on 795 Posts

Two things.

First ICDEDPL,,,,,,,,, looking at your avatars and I don't think it is dead people you are seeing.

Second, that is freaking awesome that everyone takes part in all aspects. pretty cool.

I do think the CC or Go fast thing is done. Different strokes for different folks.

Hey where is the beating a dead horse at?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Couple of my buddies got out of boating because all the maintenance , cleaning, towing, launching, retrieving was left up to them. They had no help. Too much work
If your wife is a princess and your kids are off getting participation awards I guess I can see the allure of an easier to take care of boat.

I also make it a family affair, there`s no freeloaders on this ship. Everyone pitches in. Makes it much easier powerboat ownership.

Polishing stainless, pumping gear oil and making sure there are no leaks.. working together like a well oiled machine

Start em young.

Good for you and your family man! That is what its all about. Love the participation ribbon comment.

We all chip in, or we don't go. Your family values are what I see lacking in so many now days, so keep at it brother.

Love the air horns btw!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Start em young.

First, that is awesome that your whole family is involved and helps out, congrats on your parenting skills!
Second, what a beautiful Flat Deck. That is the boat at the top of my list. Wish I could have picked up the Fox Hunter.
Do you have 2 Cigs? the Red and White Flat Deck doesn't have the hull stripes in the one pic.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Traditional "go-fast" cockpit. Seven people. No problem. Please don't pick the video apart. The driver instructs and keeps an eye on all passengers and everyone is holding on and having fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB7F0JWWXsE&index=55&list=LLkXUUYGGbyut0tMUyHOdJ1g
7 people don't fit that well on all boats. My Sonic being one of them. 6 people is about it till it gets one on top of another.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 155 Posts

Start em young.

I think that is awesome but we don't all get that lucky.

Very cool though.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say. Nice center console boat you have sir.. owner response O Thank you it's a fun boat.
I say. But the offshore boat over there is cool as hell and bad azzz.

Ok more CC talk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.