Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats? >

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Notices

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Old 01-30-2015, 10:11 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jadento

Obviously its as simple as different boats for different folks for whatever the reason.

I think we can all agree that Go-fasts are bad a$$ toys that everyone loves and wants.

That's the bottom line. Different boats for different folks. Amazing at some of the comments that some just can't accept the fact not every boater wants a go fast and rather have a CC, cruiser, wake board, sailboat or fishing boat.

Truth be known, I'd say your 2nd comment above is further from actuality than what we'd like to think. Funny story from a couple yrs ago. My slip neighbor has a nice Cig that he's put a lot of sweat and tears in, big shiny blowers motors and all. Impressive to the motor heads. 1 evening we were all sitting around and he had his hatch open. a few 20-30ish yr old guys stop to take a look at the motors. After getting the run down on the boat and motors, as they were finishing up with their visit, they commented on it was nice, but were more interested in his LED lights. We get a lot of visitors walking up/down the docks and I would guess less than 1/2 even notice the powerboats mixed in with the cruisers and wake boats. Simply different strokes. No one is in the wrong
Old 01-30-2015, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

No one said that anyone was in the wrong. The question is why the shift from traditional go-fasts to CCs and then I ask why the shift from small go-fasts to 'toons and wake boats. There has been a definite shift. And this IS Off Shore Only!
Old 01-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

US1,

The "we" in my statement was referring to OSO users. As I agree with you, most non performance boat enthusiasts cant fathom spending the money, time and effort it takes to own and operate a go fast boat and would likely tell us to our faces were crazy, which is probably mostly true. I am fortunate enough to have crewed for an OPA SVL race team last year and almost all the spectators thought the boats were cool and loved looking at them and hearing about them, but in the end walked away thinking we were crazy when they found out that everyone is volunteering and the race team is privately owned and funded(for the most part). Then add to the fact that there is no real monetary prize per say for winning. Its mainly doing it because you love it and bragging rights.

Sailboat sucks and I Love making as much noise as possible when passing them!
Old 01-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
No one said that anyone was in the wrong. The question is why the shift from traditional go-fasts to CCs and then I ask why the shift from small go-fasts to 'toons and wake boats. There has been a definite shift. And this IS Off Shore Only!
Exactly. Here on OSO, you'd expect a different opinion vs the opinion from someone on a different boating forum. Thats my point, there are other types of forums. Each one has its purpose. Sure, I'd love to have a CC, but my boating style doesn't justify it. So I went with option 3

My 1st thought on this subject was just for more room to move around and to have more of your buddies with you. That works for me, but not for all. Why the trend change?? Can't answer that aspect as I haven't made that change.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
AT I think if you get some entry level stuff at a reduced price with a reliable low maintenance "black" motor that would help get some people back in. Problem is the "go fast" boats have risen so high in dollar that new is out of the question except for the extremely rich. Just my thoughts there.
Not that I'm currently in the market but when I was, the "new" boats were definitely untouchable price wise..

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
I can understand why a CC is desirable but for the life of me I don't know why anyone would want a wakeboard boat. Those things are flat out turds. A couple years ago I read a test of all the new fancy ones and the fastest ran 45mph with 400+hp. It was only 24ft long too. Plus they ride like **** in snotty water. Why people pay $80+k for one of those is beyond me. Even my 29' MCOB runs 48mph with 8 people and 120 gallons of fuel.
I think I can go faster than any of those with just one of my engines running. I used to enjoy blowing past them on my little WaveRunner lol. Speed isn't the main thing for everyone though it's all about the "image" you project when out for some. I think in my years on the river here I have only seen a handful (and that is being generous) that actually wakeboard behind their boats. $80k is on the low side a lot of them at the recent boat show here in Portland (there wasn't ONE performance boat at the show BTW) were over $150! Doesn't make sense to me either but like already stated here It's all about getting on the water and having fun!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Couple of my buddies got out of boating because all the maintenance , cleaning, towing, launching, retrieving was left up to them. They had no help. Too much work
If your wife is a princess and your kids are off getting participation awards I guess I can see the allure of an easier to take care of boat.

My wife would not want anything but a powerboat. (as if she had a choice lol )
I also make it a family affair, there`s no freeloaders on this ship. Everyone pitches in. Makes it much easier powerboat ownership.

Polishing stainless, pumping gear oil and making sure there are no leaks.. working together like a well oiled machine

Start em young.
EXACTLY! Making it a family affair is what it's all about for me!

LOVE your boat BTW!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Another point is the fact that young people today have no clue about horsepower. Us motorheads are going the way of the White Buffalo. We are fast becoming extinct. Back in the 80's you had to be a real man to operate a honest to goodness Go-fast, had to be talented with the sticks around the docks and have enough mechanical savvy to be able to leap in the bilge and handle a quick fix or basic maintenance. That guy has now grown old and out of the game.

Today's Namby Pamby pukes have zero interest in that stuff. A few years back, I was filling up my old Top Gun when a car load of 20 somethings pulled up to the other side of the pumps. One asked how many gallons it held, when I told him 220 gallons, he looked at his buddies and said "That thing's stupid...."
Old 01-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 335 Posts

So,,,,,we don't like sailboat, don't like C.C. boats, cruisers are out, pontoons are for old people, bass boats are stupid, wake board boats are expensive. We are an uppity bunch but I bet many of us will be in one of those other boats at some point in life. Lifestyles change, family grows/shrink, friend move, locations change, money dries up, frustration with maintenance, health, all will contribute to change.
Quit your whining and enjoy the moment and the next.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
Another point is the fact that young people today have no clue about horsepower. Us motorheads are going the way of the White Buffalo. We are fast becoming extinct. Back in the 80's you had to be a real man to operate a honest to goodness Go-fast, had to be talented with the sticks around the docks and have enough mechanical savvy to be able to leap in the bilge and handle a quick fix or basic maintenance. That guy has now grown old and out of the game.

Today's Namby Pamby pukes have zero interest in that stuff. A few years back, I was filling up my old Top Gun when a car load of 20 somethings pulled up to the other side of the pumps. One asked how many gallons it held, when I told him 220 gallons, he looked at his buddies and said "That thing's stupid...."

Today's youth gets HP, just look at cars like the Hellcat. It is still there and I feel the youth gets it.

However what has changed is Horsepower. Before it was carbs, tuning, fuel, and getting dirty. Today is it sensors, computers, and wiring. Half my problems that I have had with my boat are computer or sensor reading errors. You can climb in the bilge all you wish and roll around in all the oil you can. But without a scan tool and some testing with it, the boat still acts up.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Haha.

Another thing... Pontoon Boats. Pontoons are a clear indication of giving up. I see it all the time, Sell your Go-Fast for a pontoon and the next thing you know is your Wife is wearing pajamas in public and you're driving a minivan...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.