Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Speed boat simulator in development >

Speed boat simulator in development

Notices

Speed boat simulator in development

Old 06-15-2015, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

not sure......Im listening thru laptop speakers which faithfully recreate nothing......
Old 06-16-2015, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, phragle.

I checked with the audio guy and he's sure the pitch is matched correctly to the rpm. He's got some fancy software that analyzes engine sounds to determine rpm. Maybe you might be used to hearing higher revving engines like F1 and so on? Thanks for pointing it out anyway, it's always good to double check these things to make sure.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:06 AM
Registered

Started a new website for this: http://speedboatsim.com
Old 06-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Registered

Forums are up and working at the new site now:

http://speedboatsim.com

Anyone interested in this project can register and sign up for the forum. I'll try to figure out a way to send everybody there an email when it's released so you're among the first to know.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:19 AM
Registered

Derpa derp.

It might be funny if going too fast messed up the driver's face.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Registered

how far along is the game (percent wise)? how much more do you plan to implement to the game before actually releasing it, are you one of the people who likes having people try their games then get suggestions for feedback and know what to improve and implement or are you a person who wants to get the game as complete as possible then get peoples opinion on the game?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Registered

Percentage completeness is a tough one to gauge. I won't even try to estimate that because I never get it right, and more often than not such estimations end up misleading people accidentally. Programmers are notoriously bad at predicting the future.

I do want to get feedback on it once I get things to a certain point, but I'm doing that through a small group of friends and alpha testers rather than some big, open, public thing. I could probably use some boating nuts in the mix though eventually. My buddies and other developer friends are all race car guys which is of limited use in a boating sim.

Design it, Drive it: Speedboats needs to get to a certain point before diving deeply into that sort of testing so people aren't just telling me things I already know, though. I was involved in a couple other projects for 14 years (I wrote the physics engine and did all the vehicle dynamics for VRC and VRC Pro, among other things), and have learned that sometimes feedback ends up just being people saying "add jet boats and offshore powerboats and guns and mines and and and" which is pretty obvious stuff and not terribly helpful.

I would prefer to get a few boat nuts to check it out though specifically just to test how the boats run and respond to design changes. Making sure they aren't too slow, too fast, blow over too easily/not easily enough and that kind of thing is what I'm really wanting at the right time.

At the moment I'm rewriting a big chunk of the the hull designer so the boat shapes can be a bit more interesting. There are more variables to play with, pad designs can be done differently, the sides swoop up to a raised dashboard, the top of the bow can be shaped differently instead of just being flat and so forth. Once that's done I'll see where I am and possibly go looking for some serious performance boat guys that have more experience with boats than I do for feedback.

If anybody here is interested in that (yourself included), let me know. It'd help if you register at the speedboatsim.com forums so I've got your email and can write you when/if the time comes. I can't promise to let everyone into testing, but might grab a few people out of various forums like this one to help out.

Last edited by Todd Wasson; 08-03-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a fountain rough water race simulator right now! I put you in a plastic 55 gallon drum and roll u down a really long flight of steps, bring ur own helmet
Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Registered

Ha! But how are the graphics?
Old 08-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

All the new outboards (250, 300, Etc.) are super quiet and have no real audio feedback when running.

The old 2.5 Mercs have that classic racing outboard sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSQfbzRPfYs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.