Notices

Whistling on the dyno, but not Dixie

Old 02-27-2015, 09:19 AM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
Yes i still owe you a boat Ride!
i will pm you when the weather brakes up here.
I saw your boat in KW couple years ago
was one of my favorites. Off the Charts!!!
I would love to get you to bring her to our Borden lite poker run or maybe our Fairhaven run.
There great Charity runs and a Blast.
Carolyn used to be a client of my wife's old Salon Dellaria in Garden city.
Alex and Ani are her children's names if i recall.
I look forward to seeing your progress with the new Turbo charged engines.
Hang on and be safe!
Gerry
Thanks, for the compliment and the invitation. I watched your thread on turbine service and was amazed.
Depending on race schedule and transport I definitely want to attend your poker runs.
Last year we headed over on my brother's boat but had a brand new alternator fail. We had to abort, electric pump losing fuel pressure but we did head over to Newport for a short cruise. Thank God for two great batteries!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:26 AM
aex
Registered

The motor did not like yesterday's camshaft.
Herb is testing cams that will provide increased valve train stability and longevity without sacrificing power and torque. (too much)
Our race motors are inspected and maintained on a strict schedule but in a pleasure application he wants to keep maintenance and expenses at a minimum.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 AM
aex
Registered

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Need to see some more. ...Very interesting
Interesting for sure. We're learning a lot.
There are other marine turbos out there but I don't really see much about them,.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 725 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
The motor did not like yesterday's camshaft.
Herb is testing cams that will provide increased valve train stability and longevity without sacrificing power and torque. (too much)
Our race motors are inspected and maintained on a strict schedule but in a pleasure application he wants to keep maintenance and expenses at a minimum.
who's designing your cam shafts?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:56 PM
aex
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
who's designing your cam shafts?
Two major companies who don't sponsor me so they'll remain unnamed.
It's all in the grind anyway. Several manufacturers can supply good stuff when you know what you want.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:40 PM
aex
Registered

1380/1645. Just scratching the surface.
Working on more fuel delivery volume, only ran it to 6500. Need to pick up the torque.
All systems go.
Stotler Racing & Custom Marine. Testing, learning.
Quad turbos for the Platinum.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]538072[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Whistling on the dyno, but not Dixie-dyno-turbo.jpg  
Old 03-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-06-2015, 12:01 PM
aex
Registered

A little background.
I'm petty good with wrenches but my brother Bobby is better. He can build things and can weld anything. He has patience.
Collectively we own several turbocharged vehicles that were built here in our facility and have done a few over the years. One of our early projects ('93 ish) was building a twin turbo set up for my 1991 Ferrari 348. It was impressive.
I raced boats in the 80's and 90's, had some successes, a few failures, a few regrets and made countless friends.
When I bought the Platinum in 2013 my plan from the beginning was to go turbo. The Supercharged Stotler 1400's have performed flawlessly and finished seven consecutive races with no failures, however we like to experiment.
More later, back to work.

Last edited by aex; 03-06-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:07 PM
aex
Registered

More background.
Herb Stotler, Levi Santana, Brady Bragg. The pulse of Stotler Power.
Herb has a lifetime in the performance boat industry. His engines have won numerous world and national championships.
Stotler Racing manages my team and several others. They maintain every system on the boat, trailer and hauler. This facility is home to some of the most exotic boats in the world.
Our Turbo systems were fabricated in 2014. We installed one on our Unlimited engine and hit the dyno in that September. The best result was 1348/1587. Ran it to 6700.
At this time we decided to bolt the blowers back on for Key West. Dyno statistics are a great tool, however with no time to adequately sea trial we felt waiting would be prudent. Herb liked everything but felt we should increase water volume ( even though temps were not a problem ), eliminate a spacer and just generally condense a few items which Herb expertly handled.
When dyno testing, we run the full marine exhaust, the boat's fuel pumps, coolers etc. This keeps everything consistent. After the 1645 @ 6500 run last week Herb concluded we need more fuel, so bigger pumps are on the way. With the added fuel volume we will see gains.
All systems are presently functioning as intended but still testing and learning.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:09 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Can you take a picture of the plumbing of the turbos? Trying to tell from the pics you posted how you guys plumbed 4 turbos on there. Honestly looks to only be two which would make it a twin turbo, correct???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.