Notices

Stereo Help Tread

Old 03-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo Help Tread

I didn't want to ruin anyone eleses tread but I do need some info/help here. Anyone else needing the same, feel free to post as I can probably learn something from your questions too.
So just to start, refurbing the boat from the ground up so no real restrictions other than $$$. I have ordered a couple new Garmins, a 7612 and a 7610, which is all I had planned for the dash except maybe a smartcraft VV. Here is my first issue, the stereo. The guys from Garmin and Fusion suggested I go with their Meteor box since we mostly listen to music from our phones. I am really intrigued with the idea of multiple zones controlled form the GPS and no actual head unit. BUT, I am also concerned out how practical it is. What if I am running a pocker run watching my GPS and I want to turn the music up or down, seems like it might be cumbersome to do through the GPS, and if i mount a remote. Then why not just mount a head unit. Am I missing something here. Also i like to be able to play some videos( DVDs) through the GPSs and onboard screens, wouldn't I have to add a player to the Meteor system to do this. If so wouldn't it be easier to do it with a head unit. Also IF i need to do a head unit, are any of them besides Fusion NEMA 2000 compliant so that I could run the controls throught the GPS if desired. Only because I didn't like the esthics of the Fusions I saw at the show. Hope this makes sense as i am not real techy. Any and all hlep and info are appreciated. I have other questions that I will ask after I make a decsions on head units or Meteor unit.

Thanks
Michael
Old 03-09-2015, 06:23 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

The fusion unit is small and can still handle input from phone, ipod, sirrius etc. and works with the nmea standard, fusion has nice remote heads that can be mounted in cabin and at stern etc. wouldn't have to power up the whole dash just for tunes. I imagine that you could still control the fusion from your garmin but dont know it for a fact

Maybe the main head unit can be tucked a way in some kind of glovebox
Old 03-09-2015, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

go to Fusions website and watch the videos and read about the products, there are several ways to control from the Garmin, from full screen to a little bar across the bottom. I think the Fusion is the best (maybe only) choice for an NMEA compliant device. The Garmin only has composite video inputs, so I'm not sure how good a video would look or if the Fusion has video out.

http://fusion-link.com

Last edited by pstorti; 03-09-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Go with Fusion. It will do al the things you desire. Garmin has recently acquired Fusion by the way. Fusion has a small wired remote that can give you control on the unit w/o using your chart plotter or the unit, if desired.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not get the Garmin Meteor. There are not enough zones for control. Fusion has a new BB unit available that comes with one remote. If you want the option to play DVD's you can get the AV version. Video looks good on the screens and we have installed a lot of them. Again there are newer models coming soon.
I would add a wireless access point on it so you can use your phone or IPAD to control stereo also
The Garmins do have a media bar you can set up on the screen.
There is something to be said about having the Garmin on to use the stereo unless you have the wireless access.
If you have any other questions be glad to help. Send me a pm with your number. We work with theTim and guys at MTI down here in S FL.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend a conversation with Justin at Wave and Wheels, LOTO should be on your list. Osage Beach is only a short drive up I-44.
He has done some amazing integration work.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new 700 fusion has the ability to add wifi so you can control your stereo with your phone/tablet, etc. Or your co pilot can do the same. I am going through this now but with raymarine.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
I recommend a conversation with Justin at Wave and Wheels, LOTO should be on your list. Osage Beach is only a short drive up I-44.
He has done some amazing integration work.
This!
Old 03-10-2015, 02:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 637 Likes on 297 Posts

Whoa Whoa -Whoooa Big Daddy-
We need more info first to make valid comment - Boat size, Motors- and Color - And hopefully none of that Underwater exhaust chit lol
Old 03-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Registered

First off, thanks for all the input. I have considered calling W&W but the boat is at MTI getting an all new interior and dash including GPSs and stereo so I feel like I need to let them do it all verses sending it in pieces to W&W. And I don't want to bug W&W if I know that MTI is going to do the work.
So since I want the ability to run the stereo from the GPS, video capability, and use my Iphone for the remote and bluetooth it sounds like I should go with the Fusion head unit, Is this correct? I did see some on their website which didn't look as bad as I remembered them looking. I am thinking the AV 700 or AV750.
Next issue is the sub. I like to hear some base. But I am 49 y/o so I am not all about the base, pun intended. MTI usually puts in the Kicker 10" Solobaric and has the molds to make a proper enclosure for it. I think would one of these probably be plenty of base for me, especially if I give it plenty of power. Whats everyones thoughts on this one. Also what is the difference between the 2 vs 4 ohms
Oh and Double Rigged, I will send you a pm if you really don't mind

Thanks

Last edited by 44MTI; 03-10-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.