Notices

The project begins

Old 07-20-2015, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just like building with tinker toys. The tools are just more expensive. And everything must be real clean. The fun is that there are some parts that I have never used before. JESEL shaft rockers and JESEL belt drive for the cam. I will have to learn how to properly install and shim the shaft rockers. No hurry. Take time to do it right.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who makes that oil pan?
Old 07-21-2015, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
Just like building with tinker toys. The tools are just more expensive. And everything must be real clean. The fun is that there are some parts that I have never used before. JESEL shaft rockers and JESEL belt drive for the cam. I will have to learn how to properly install and shim the shaft rockers. No hurry. Take time to do it right.
Setting up shaft rockers is much easier than stud mounts...
Old 07-21-2015, 06:35 PM
Registered

I haven't taken all of the pieces out of the box yet. Does the kit come with shims? I understand that you shim the rocker assembly up so that the travel is centered on the valve stem just like regular rockers and then use an adjustable push rod for measuring length.
Are there any tricks or special things I should know about the belt drive?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Registered

Finally dropped the engine in the boat last Sunday late afternoon. Installed the transom assembly onto the extension box tonight and what do you think are odds of the engine alignment tool going into the coupling when the engine is just sitting on the back mounts with a 2x4 and a scissors jack holding up the front. I just eye balled it. It isn't perfect but the tool went right in. I have to shim up the back of the engine about 1/4 inch so that the shaft is centered on the hole in the front of the box.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Registered

Work has kept me from finishing the project in time to get it on the water during warm weather. I did manage to get it on the water today for testing. Running the same outdrive and prop ( Bravo labbed 30 )
Prop shaft is now 2 inches above the bottom of the boat. I still don't have the interior or the engine cover on. Good news is the boat got on plane but ran like crap. I took the carb off of last years engine that was dialed in almost perfect. It ran SOOOO rich it was fouling out the plugs. I made two try's to get on plane and put it back on the trailer. I think I am going to have to go to a 5 blade because once on plane it seemed to slip a lot. I will have to dial in the carb and try it again. So far so good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]546941[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]546942[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails The project begins-img_20151004_154636124_hdr.jpg   The project begins-img_20151004_154701425_hdr.jpg  
Old 10-25-2015, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 600 Likes on 359 Posts

Awesome man. Love when a project comes together. Did carb get gummed up sitting with fuel in it?
Old 10-26-2015, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
Work has kept me from finishing the project in time to get it on the water during warm weather. I did manage to get it on the water today for testing. Running the same outdrive and prop ( Bravo labbed 30 )
Prop shaft is now 2 inches above the bottom of the boat. I still don't have the interior or the engine cover on. Good news is the boat got on plane but ran like crap. I took the carb off of last years engine that was dialed in almost perfect. It ran SOOOO rich it was fouling out the plugs. I made two try's to get on plane and put it back on the trailer. I think I am going to have to go to a 5 blade because once on plane it seemed to slip a lot. I will have to dial in the carb and try it again. So far so good.
When I went to a shorty on my Profile 28 I had to run a 5 blade and the cav plate extension was a must. Not sure what power you are running but I have a decent selection of 5 blades but they are 30p and up. Herring, Maximus, Hydromotive. You are welcome to try them out (I am in Lansing) and I will sell them reasonable.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Registered

Right now I am running 750 HP with a 1.34 ratio drive. I would like the 30 pitch. What prop worked best on your boat?
Old 10-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Registered

No the carb didn't get gummed up it is just jetted for the 509 that was in the boat last year. I thought it would at least be close. BOY was I wrong. I never let fuel sit in the tanks or carb for any length of time more than a month. I pump the tanks dry and run the carb dry also.

Last edited by Tinkerer; 10-26-2015 at 07:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.