Notices

Another Oil Question

Old 05-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Racing oil = less detergents but more antiwear zinc... or so they claim.
so less wear but dirty oil and engine deposits unless you change it every weekend which is what racing oil is meant for.
I`ll stick to regular oil.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bup. How is the mystik oil ? I have heard good things but never tried it.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone running klotz oil besides me
Old 05-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
I am still running M1 v-twin 20/50 in my big boat and M1 4t 10/40 in the jet boat and supercharged jet ski's. They have consistently tested well on all the forums and both have high levels of zddp (>1600ppm or 1300 for the 4t). Never bought into the purple gimmick and plan on sticking with a company that has consistently produced great products from their own R&D since I have been around racing.

Both these oils are (offroad or non-catalyst) motorcycle rated and according to a letter from ExxonMobil that is somewhere on this forum, most suited to high performance marine engines.
I have been using VR1 straight 40w for years with great results. But (in the back of my mind ) I have always been worried about the cold start flow properties of the straight 40. after looking into the v-twin specs, I really think I want to change to the V-twin 20w-50 for this season and compare temps and pressures! it is API-SJ rated.
It seems to me that this oil may be able to handle the heat generated by long WFO bursts! One of two things will happen, it will be great or the lower end will be in the bilge! I'll let you guys know in the fall.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:40 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I have been using the Mystik for going on 3 years now. Mainly all the boats under 500 hp. I do not as of yet use anything motor oil related from them or anyone else that is NOT CAT approved for the marine catalyst engines ( all of them are under 500 hp and mandated)

. If a CAT was to fail and could ever be traced back to oil additive contamination or an oil related problem, I want the oil company or the marine OEM engine manu recommendations to be the ones accountable and take on full liability.

For the marine CAT engines I have been following and to keep all warranties in check I have been using MARINE CAT APPROVED motor oils. It has been back and forth battles about the motor oils used and the recommended oils for the past 6 years for these apps.

Last edited by BUP; 05-16-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mobil 1 V Twin here, been using for years.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Last year, I contacted several oil companies for an oil recommendation for my marine supercharged engines. Only a few of the companies replied back, but one company stood out to me.

That was Joe Gibbs "Driven" oil. Before they gave me a recommendation, they asked the following questions (unlike the others who asked nothing about the clearances)

"What are the main and rod bearing clearances?"

"Are these engines used for racing, or high speed poker run style events".

The fact they were the ONLY company who asked me those details, made me feel better. Obviously, not all engines are the same. A 310HP 454 mercruiser, isnt going to require the same oil as a custom built 800,900,1000+hp blown engine.

With that being said, they recommended their MR50 engine oil. It is a 15w50 marine specific synthetic oil.

Formulated Specifically For High Output Marine Engines

Excellent protection for high performance marine engines. Ideal for flat tappet cams, big blocks and blown marine engines. MR50 contains rust inhibitors for winter storage and defense against Ethanol blended fuel. Viscosity typical of 15W-50.

ZDDP Anti-Wear Package
High Temp High Shear Stability
Friction Reducing Additives
Storage & Start-Up Protection

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/m...oil-15851html/
Old 05-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 202 Likes on 55 Posts

hey Joe, how much hp will I gain running that grade? Enough to forget about supercharging you think?

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Last year, I contacted several oil companies for an oil recommendation for my marine supercharged engines. Only a few of the companies replied back, but one company stood out to me.

That was Joe Gibbs "Driven" oil. Before they gave me a recommendation, they asked the following questions (unlike the others who asked nothing about the clearances)

"What are the main and rod bearing clearances?"

"Are these engines used for racing, or high speed poker run style events".

The fact they were the ONLY company who asked me those details, made me feel better. Obviously, not all engines are the same. A 310HP 454 mercruiser, isnt going to require the same oil as a custom built 800,900,1000+hp blown engine.

With that being said, they recommended their MR50 engine oil. It is a 15w50 marine specific synthetic oil.

Formulated Specifically For High Output Marine Engines

Excellent protection for high performance marine engines. Ideal for flat tappet cams, big blocks and blown marine engines. MR50 contains rust inhibitors for winter storage and defense against Ethanol blended fuel. Viscosity typical of 15W-50.

ZDDP Anti-Wear Package
High Temp High Shear Stability
Friction Reducing Additives
Storage & Start-Up Protection

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/m...oil-15851html/
Old 05-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
hey Joe, how much hp will I gain running that grade? Enough to forget about supercharging you think?
Joey, I think thats a better question for Borgie, as far as how much power you will gain from the oil change.

If you have questions about mounting blowers on your engines, and making that 12 Meter wake up from its slumber, call me!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:07 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Oh I remember that very long thread - Lake Speed Jr replied back to you and the good old days with Borgie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.