Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Interstate vs autocraft batteries >

Interstate vs autocraft batteries

Notices

Interstate vs autocraft batteries

Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have never hesitated spending money on my boat, this is what I love to do.
If they were the same quality of battery then it would make sense to save some money.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Menards ofall places has had some really good marine battery deals....I have been running a menards marine starting battery in one of the explores, damn thing was on sale for 60 bucks
Old 05-19-2015, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
From the Johnson Controls website:

Johnson Controls is the leading supplier of batteries to many of the largest aftermarket battery retailers, including Advance Auto Parts, DAISA S.A., AutoZone, Costco, NAPA, Interstate Batteries, Walmart and more. Powering virtually every type of passenger car, light truck and utility vehicle, our batteries are globally sold under private labels, as well as our own brands – VARTA®, Heliar®, LTH®, MAC®, Delkor® and OPTIMA®.

In a lot of cases, the only thing that changes is the label (between similar styles, i.e. lead acid, AGM, gel, etc).There are duds from time to time, but heat, lack of use, and vibration are the true enemies of your battery.
Last I knew, Exide and JCi were the two big suppliers and were the lion's share of the store labels.

Very true. But just as true are that different brands mandate different quality standards, specifications, etc - and Johnson controls makes them to those standards. I work for a company that makes things other people put thier name on. The low cost stuff we make for the low cost brands is different than the stuff in high cost brands.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:03 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,197 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by waterman
Hello,

After ten years and 400 hours I think it is time to replace both
batteries for my 496 ho. I have Interstate now and am very
happy with since they have lasted so long. Thank you.
Your boat nswered your question before you had the question.

Edit in: Get the same exact Interstates you have, they sell several different models within the same size.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:56 PM
Registered

I recently read a review on boat batteries and the Interstate came in 1st. I don't recall the models tested. I also understand some review sites MAY have a financial incentive to rank certain products near he top. My .02 cents.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to put Duralast Golds in everything because they were convenient to get and replace under warranty. Well I put new batteries in my truck the middle of every winter and my boat every early summer. The last time this past winter my truck batteries took a dump, it pushed me over the edge and ordered 8 interstates and replaced every one I had. Buy cheap you get cheap.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We see a lot of exide, walmart and advance auto part battery failures in the cars. We replaced so many exide batteries we quit selling them and stick with interstate only now. The interstates seem to be the best and last the longest. We replace a lot of those other brands that are only 2-3yrs old, the AAA batteries suck too. Oldest battery we have replaced in a daily driven car was an interstate that was 12yrs old and we also had a delco that went 10.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Does Deka still make batteries or anyone ever used them? I had a pair of 1000's in my old Scorpion years ago and liked them a lot. Those things took a beating and never seemed to wear down. I have been using interstate lately and happy. You could not give me Optimas, had trouble with every one I tried. They seem to have a sketchy following people either love 'em or hate 'em . . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-20-2015, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 197 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Does Deka still make batteries or anyone ever used them? I had a pair of 1000's in my old Scorpion years ago and liked them a lot. Those things took a beating and never seemed to wear down. I have been using interstate lately and happy. You could not give me Optimas, had trouble with every one I tried. They seem to have a sketchy following people either love 'em or hate 'em . . . . .
I had a pair of Dekas myself in my Scarab. They went 7 yrs even with being run dead a few times and recharged. One was on its way out, so I replaced both. Not sure why I didnt just replace the bad one, but, what the heck?
Old 05-20-2015, 06:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
They still make batteries. Our golf cart has them - seems like that's all the cart shops around here carry. I've had good service from them in that application.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.