Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How Hard To Rebuild Zeiger Steering Ram? >

How Hard To Rebuild Zeiger Steering Ram?

Notices

How Hard To Rebuild Zeiger Steering Ram?

Old 05-30-2015, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good plan , its pretty easy to get them apart and together but sometimes getting all the seals in correctly and undamaged can be challenging.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 1,306 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I guess a lot will depend on how tight that nut is! First I'll order the seal kit and then dig up a wrench. Hopefully I'll find a noticeably damaged seal.
Mine were not on tight, but they do use loctite so you might need a little heat. BTW mine are Marine Machine. Can you see why my boat drifted a little?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541634[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails How Hard To Rebuild Zeiger Steering Ram?-rams.jpg  
Old 05-30-2015, 06:56 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Have you contacted Steve to see if they could do it or help in any way? He has always been great to work with and pretty fair.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-31-2015, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

[QUOTE=Rookie;4310801]Mine were not on tight, but they do use loctite so you might need a little heat. BTW mine are Marine Machine. Can you see why my boat drifted a little?

They look pretty simple inside. I expect that I might find something similar like a twisted seal. I started having problems after 2 seasons.

Originally Posted by glassdave
Have you contacted Steve to see if they could do it or help in any way? He has always been great to work with and pretty fair.
Dave, I had only worked with Paul at Zeiger. I put the system on in March, 2010 and started having problems after two seasons. At that time there were no leaks but I was getting play (air) in the system after every hard run. Here is my first thread about it: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...g-air-why.html . Paul had no idea what the problem could be since the symptoms were pretty vague. They are now way out of any warranty period and I'll be happy to just have this mystery problem fixed. The noticeable fluid loss and oil slicks started this spring so at least now I think I know where the problem is. I'm betting I'll find a twisted seal like Rookie did. Loryco is right down the street and I think I'll just take it to them www.loryco.com . I appreciate the replies. Oh, I do have the Latham reservoir.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 1,306 Likes on 636 Posts

I tore my rams apart and brought everything to my local hydraulic shop. They measured everything, grabbed my seals and wipers and sent me on my way. Just remember which way the seals are facing when installed. I take pics of everything.
Attached Thumbnails How Hard To Rebuild Zeiger Steering Ram?-ram-part-.jpg   How Hard To Rebuild Zeiger Steering Ram?-seals.jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get the seal kit from zeigar,,the loctite is a special blend for hydraulic rams..not your every day stuff used on common nuts and bolts..yes i have rebuilt many and some big mofos as well..
Old 06-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I made a spanner wrench using what I could find in my tool box. The cylinder came apart pretty easily. I was hoping to see something obvious like Rookie did but what I can see at this point looks OK. I ordered two rebuild kits from Zeiger and they should get here Wednesday. I won't take it all the way apart until the kits are here.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised no one mentioned this, but unless the rod is perfectly (and I mean perfectly) smooth it will need rechromed. Even minute scratches will eat new seals in no time. Pretty cheap to have done, Any hydraulic shop should be able to send a rod out to be rechromed.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 481 Likes on 220 Posts

Do you mean cylinder?
Old 06-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bomar76
Surprised no one mentioned this, but unless the rod is perfectly (and I mean perfectly) smooth it will need rechromed. Even minute scratches will eat new seals in no time. Pretty cheap to have done, Any hydraulic shop should be able to send a rod out to be rechromed.
THEIR not chromed..polished stainless steel..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.