Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any drive blueprint guys on hear? >

Any drive blueprint guys on hear?

Notices

Any drive blueprint guys on hear?

Old 06-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any drive blueprint guys on hear?

I was wondering if anyone has done any testing on sharpening the leading edge of a Imco skeg?

I have shortened a few and sharpened them but never tested back to back?
Old 06-01-2015, 09:14 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Wilson Custom Marine

https://www.proboat.com/blueprint-for-speed.html
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-01-2015, 09:38 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

call IMCO I know they claim better handling with the skeg extending it forward more to front of the bullet .

Pic below what I am talking about

http://www.imcomarine.com/cal_store/...lete-1131.html
Old 06-02-2015, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

BUP, that picture is interesting. Are all Imco lowers being made like that now?
I did a lot of work on mine. Besides sharpening the leading edge and thinning areas I did a lot of experimenting with the water inlet size and location to get the pressure down where I wanted it and to greatly reduce the cavitation burn behind the intake which seems to be very common. My water inlet has since been welded up at the front to make it even smaller. Cav burn is now only a small line and pressure is right where it should be without having to run a relief valve but I saw no noticable speed increase.

The inlet now: You can see where it was welded up and where the deep cav burn was also filled in.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 06-02-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 394 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
BUP, that picture is interesting. Are all Imco lowers being made like that now?
I did a lot of work on mine. Besides sharpening the leading edge and thinning areas I did a lot of experimenting with the water inlet size and location to get the pressure down where I wanted it and to greatly reduce the cavitation burn behind the intake which seems to be very common. My water inlet has since been welded up at the front to make it even smaller. Cav burn is now only a small line and pressure is right where it should be without having to run a relief valve but I saw no noticable speed increase.

The inlet now: You can see where it was welded up and where the deep cav burn was also filled in.
Curious, why didn't just install a pressure relief valve? I have one, and it lets me adjust my H2O pressure to no more than 30 lbs at WOT......
Old 06-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Curious, why didn't just install a pressure relief valve? I have one, and it lets me adjust my H2O pressure to no more than 30 lbs at WOT......
I did briefly. They can stick open though and Allen Brown himself advised me against running one. I was also trying to solve the cav burn issue and that had to be welded up anyway. The stock intake is just way to big and goes back too far. I looked at a lot of shortys on boats and most had this problem. This is mine before it was welded up. I had my welder close up the back of the intake at the same time. Later I had him re-weld a few pockets and shorten the front. I finally got it perfect. No pop-off valve needed!