Mercury Racing Head Sees 400-HP Four-Stroke As Top Choice For Stock Class

Notices

Mercury Racing Head Sees 400-HP Four-Stroke As Top Choice For Stock Class

Old 08-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,943 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
That makes sense I can understand your position, the decision was made in Michigan City you can give one of the other stock racers a call possibly Chris or Gary.
My understanding of the decision, which was not publicly announced, through one of the racers is that in 2016 they can use the 300XS or their existing 2.5L engines until they run out of parts. Obviously, a bit more detail would be useful (Will teams that still have 2.5s be able to use them in 2017? Can a team that wants to run a 200XS and is OK with being down on power use one next season? ... all good questions) I'll see what else I can come up with.

I knew there was supposed to be a meeting in Michigan City on this topic, but heard nothing (and I spoke with one of the competitors via text messaging after the race) and heard nothing about the outcome. Mercury Racing's Erik Christiansen and I had been playing phone tag for a couple of weeks, but I have wanted to get his on-the-record take for some time on this subject. It's funny how things work out in real time, as the issue appears to be settled (or on its way to being settled with the 300XS being the call) and the 400R factored into the decision. Still, even retroactively, at least now we have Mercury Racing's position.

Follow up to come.