where and how do you fly a flag, going to Bahamas >

where and how do you fly a flag, going to Bahamas

Notices

where and how do you fly a flag, going to Bahamas

Old 08-29-2015, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where and how do you fly a flag, going to Bahamas

Starting to do my homework on a Bahamas trip. If I understand correctly, I have to be able to fly a US flag and a Bahamian flag. So how do you fly a flag, physically? Anchor light? That might be a bit too much stress for a flimsy anchor light?

Also, tell me the procedure, which flag to fly when???

Last edited by tnc110; 08-29-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had my best luck flying a string of $20.00's (at least 5' in length). U.S. currency has lowest wind resistance , so stern/anchor light should work. Enjoy your trip , beautiful water!!!
Old 08-29-2015, 10:50 PM
Registered

found this

WHAT TO DO

• Hoist the yellow quarantine flag near a port of entry.

• Report to a Customs and Immigration facility as soon as possible upon entering Bahamian waters.

• Only the captain may go ashore to clear Customs. No others are allowed off the boat until the vessel is cleared.

• The captain should have the following information ready for officials: ship’s documentation/registration, passports for all persons aboard, pet import permit, and firearms information (make, model, serial number, and number of rounds or ammunition—don’t take weapon).

• Treat officials with respect; follow their instructions.
Be courteous and neatly dressed. Officers may limit the stay of anyone deemed a security threat or who may be seeking to take the jobs of Bahamians.

• After receiving your cruising permit, take down your “Q” flag and hoist your Bahamian courtesy flag (cruising pennant).
Old 08-30-2015, 03:38 AM
Registered

some seem to take handguns, but I am pretty sure they are a no no

make sure if you do take a rifle or shotgun that you are VERY careful with your ammo if there is even a single round missing from the reported count when you go to leave it is a big deal
Old 08-30-2015, 04:48 AM
Registered

Received 957 Likes on 513 Posts

Forget the firearms, the guns are more hassle than they are worth.... If you were going to remote areas and staying aboard anchoring overnight maybe.

Flag works great on a 6 ft stick of 1 inch PVC pipe. Yellow flag when you arrive, Bahamian flag once you clear. I have never flown the US flag while there. We usually wedged the PVC pipe in a grab handle and it would be good.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

Just a stupid question.
Why do you fly their flag when you are US registered boat? Do US ships normally drop flags and put up their host countries?
Old 08-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Most ships when in a foreign port fly the American and the country of call.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Put a $20 bill in each passport. You (or whoever the captain is) hands all the passports to the official. If you do a $100 - they will push you through even faster.

-If they get nothing I guarantee it takes you an hour or more...
-Dont be intoxicated, they dont take kindly to it.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Just a stupid question.
Why do you fly their flag when you are US registered boat? Do US ships normally drop flags and put up their host countries?
I suspect the yellow flag tells local officials you haven't paid your entry fee. Bahamian flag tells them you have.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Put a $20 bill in each passport. You (or whoever the captain is) hands all the passports to the official. If you do a $100 - they will push you through even faster.

-If they get nothing I guarantee it takes you an hour or more...
-Dont be intoxicated, they dont take kindly to it.
I can't tell if you are joking or not.....but this is 100% false. I have cleared in several different places and would be afraid the $20 bribe would indicate to them that I am trying to get away with something. I cleared in Bimini with a 12-15 boat poker run and it took less than an hour plus the 10-15 minute walk from the docks and back.

I cleared 3 weeks ago in Bimini and it took about 45 seconds. Longest customs experience was last summer leaving Nassua, US Customs has a clearing spot there (you clear US Customs while in Nassua but when you land in the US you walk out like it was just a domestic flight). US Customs probably took an hour, maybe hour and fifteen minutes but there were 100-150 people in line at the airport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.