Notices

Bob-Lo Island . . . .

Old 09-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember going to Bob-Lo Island about 30 years ago. Took the kids and had a great time. The Bob-Lo Island ferry boat ride from Detroit down the Detroit River was a big part of the fun. Back then going to Canada was not much different than going to a different state. Those were the good old days. Probably never going to happen again.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MACDAD260
I remember going to Bob-Lo Island about 30 years ago. Took the kids and had a great time. The Bob-Lo Island ferry boat ride from Detroit down the Detroit River was a big part of the fun. Back then going to Canada was not much different than going to a different state. Those were the good old days. Probably never going to happen again.
After 911 everything changed. More Law Enforcement boats out there then Pleasure boats sometimes. I remember Cristal Bay was a Hot Spot with well over a thousand boats there on the weekend until Customs and Police Enforcement started coming down on everyone and checking for I-68 Permit, now on the weekend there is around 50 boats there and has killed Tourism. Oh the good old days, I have gotten my Nexus Card which is good for 5 years and can be used on the boat and crossing the Border with no problems.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
OK. I'm going to get my enhanced driver's license this winter. My problem is that 20 years ago I got a felony drug conviction. Got caught with a half pound of weed which is possession with intent to deliver. I can't get it taken off my record because I got in other trouble when I was a kid. I don't know if Canada will let me in anymore and that sucks. I will try driving across the border this winter when I have my new license. No one has done this without checking in with customs? It's an island.
If you have a DUI conviction, you can not cross the Border from Canada to the U.S., some of my friends who have been convicted can no longer cross the Border by car or boat and I find that a bit much.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
If you have a DUI conviction, you can not cross the Border from Canada to the U.S., some of my friends who have been convicted can no longer cross the Border by car or boat and I find that a bit much.
No DUI ever but a drug felony conviction 20 years ago and some property crimes when I was a teen. Now I'm 61 and try to stay out of trouble. I remember going as a kid too. They never built world class rides there so everyone went to Cedar Point. I want to explore the ruins though. You can see them on Google Earth and on YouTube.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 09-26-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Like AB said even a DUI will get you stopped on the border either coming or going, things have changed for sure. They want to make people "think" they are safe and cover their ass (on both sides of the border) in case anything should happen.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
Why would they care coming back into the US? I've only crossed a few times and felt interogated going into Canada, but never like that coming back.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Why would they care coming back into the US? I've only crossed a few times and felt interogated going into Canada, but never like that coming back.
Well they do, if I go to the U.S. I call Customs and when I come back to Canada I have to call Canadian Customs to let them know. Sometimes they may meet you on your return and check out your boat and the people with you but a lot of the time they don't bother you but you still have to call. It is no different then when I cross the Border in my vehicle they ask if I'm bringing anything into the U.S. and where am I going and how long will you be there and then when I return to Canada the Canadian Customs ask me if I bought something. thats the way it is and it isn't going to change.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
No DUI ever but a drug felony conviction 20 years ago and some property crimes when I was a teen. Now I'm 61 and try to stay out of trouble. I remember going as a kid too. They never built world class rides there so everyone went to Cedar Point. I want to explore the ruins though. You can see them on Google Earth and on YouTube.

There really isn't many ruins there, an old Light House from the 1800's, a Block House from the same period, the Palvillion from the early 1900's and thats about it.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 807 Likes on 455 Posts

Contact the Canadian Border Services - they will be able to tell you what you need from the US gov to be allowed into Canada

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
Old 09-27-2015, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

How recent of a DUI?? Does that mean Bieber can not go home...lol... Is it the same if you Fly there?

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.