Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What  requires more skill, running a big or a small boat? >

What requires more skill, running a big or a small boat?

Notices

What requires more skill, running a big or a small boat?

Old 10-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Single much harder all around!Docking,trimming,slowing down,getting on plane,big currents&last but not least big water tabs down driving ouch!YTwin screw 30+ different world
Old 10-21-2015, 07:49 PM
Registered

By far, hands down the most difficult boat I've ever driven was a 23' twin jet boat, especially at low speed.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Had a C.C. with twin outboards and both rotated the same direction. Fun around docks.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never owned a large boat, because of where I boat, but a smaller one can certainly get exciting in a big hurry!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Have not read the whole thread but I have driven my 18ft STV at 105 and my old 28 cat at 104...on the similar water the 28 is a walk in the park. Not sure about what takes more skill, there are more variables.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Big or small, stick it on the dash, pick a point on the horizon, aim for it and hold on....
Old 10-21-2015, 08:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
Any boat smaller then the one i currently have i consider "small". . . . . I have a 38 Scarab so i consider a 377 Scarab as well as a 42 Fountain small . . . .
The OP asked bigger or smaller boat... Not about a Slow cabin cruiser like your Scab oops Scarab. and only wellcraft would name their boat after a bug
Old 10-21-2015, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 265 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
So you would say smaller boats require more skill.
You asked me do the smaller boats require more skill, the post by "Too Stroked" in post#16 answered that best. Your initial question what requires more skill to drive, a big boat or a smaller boat. I have driven 10' Aluminum boat with 6.5 hp Evinrude, 13' Boston Whaler with a hot-rod 40+ hp (OB), 15' Boston Whaler (70hp OB), 16' Donzi (SBC), 18' Donzi (SBC), 20' Cigarette (SBC), 24' Pantera (BBC), 27' Magnum (twin BBC), 34' Phanton (twin BBC), I have just a few less years seat time than, Too Stroked, but here is my caveat. As he said, and I mentioned earlier if you can a smaller boat at fast speeds than the bigger boats are easier, at times though the 27' Magnum between 82 mph and 84 mph in flat water was something, but as a general rule of thumb driving a smaller boat like an Allision at 100 mph or a Hydrostream, when trimmed up, the hull being light weight, and at 100+ mph things happen quick, the feel for the boat is only something that seat time will generate confidence, your testicle size will increase with more experience (confidence). If you can drive those types of small boats you can drive anything. So I agree with Too Stroked, great post by him.

The only thing I absolutely did not like about the bigger boats such as the Magnum and Phantom was loading and unloading if the tide was almost out, or if there was not water left due to low tide to launch, or loading at low tide I had to crank the sh*t out the winch to get the boat on the trailer with fear of the cable breaking and whiplashing, (which never happened). While that does not exactly address your question of operation it is something that you should consider if you are a trailer boater in tidal waters were the tide runs at 5-6 mph (or more), and the water rises and fall 4'-6' (or more). There were sometimes when the wind and tidec were moving in the same direction which made docking the Magnum a task at one ramp were my father and I used to launch. Docking a 18' Donzi or 20' Cigarette was a piece of cake. The 34' Phantom wasn't a problem docking I just needed help, too big for me to dock alone, I can admit that, and the 34' Phantom at 92 mph was a docile as a boat could be, so driving it was a piece of cake. Driving a 13' Boston Whaler close to 50 hp was an adventure for a 12 year old, that experience taught me well.

In summary, that is from experience, so I cannot attest to ease of operation in a 40'+ cat at 150 mph+ or big V at over 120+ mph. I would often wonder what Steve David or the late Bull Muncey would have to say on the ease of operation about a Unlimited Hydroplane, but that is a separate topic. But I would bet if you can drive a 24' Skater, Hydrostream, Allison, or a 22' Velocity at 90+ mph, you can drive most any production boat, hence driving a smaller boat at fast, trimmed out speeds, I think is harder. My $.02 opinion,

What boats are you considering ? What power?

Last edited by Smarty; 10-22-2015 at 02:00 AM. Reason: WINCH NOT WENCH SPELLING ERROR
Old 10-21-2015, 09:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

To answer the OP's question.. I think someone should start off with a small boat and work up. I really think they should make people pass a test just like driving. I have seen in resent years people in boats, of any size, not knowing WTF they are doing. Heck you can go rent boats with no experience. I owned my first boat at 14 and in no way could I have handled what I have now.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

So if you go by scale size.... would this be doing 120 across 6 footers in a 44 foot boat?? Another thing to consider though is that the price for a driving error in a 22 foot boat at 60 is probably a lot less than a driving error at 120

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PoeXjbdn9I

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.