Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mercury Verado 400R-Powered 32’ Doug Wright Reaches 124 MPH >

Mercury Verado 400R-Powered 32’ Doug Wright Reaches 124 MPH

Notices

Mercury Verado 400R-Powered 32’ Doug Wright Reaches 124 MPH

Old 10-30-2015, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This boat is awesome - do you guys think a half ton would be enough to tow this boat or step up to at least a 3/4 ton?
Old 10-30-2015, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Great numbers and a beautiful boat. A little off topic but to answer the question above I think a half ton would do fine for small trips but if doing a lot of towing a 3/4 would be much more comfortable
Old 10-30-2015, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend
This boat is awesome - do you guys think a half ton would be enough to tow this boat or step up to at least a 3/4 ton?
I pull my 32 Skater with a half ton.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

real sharp boat and very fast but lets call it what it is a race boat with 2 back seats
Old 11-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jerzeejim
real sharp boat and very fast but lets call it what it is a race boat with 2 back seats
I agree. That is how I would order mine. I like to run mine hard and could do without a lot of frills ex. sunpad and seating for five. I would like a larger removable lid. I love it though. Aces!!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by jerzeejim
While I appreciate your point, I'd have to gently disagree.

From the story:

"The boat is a little heavier than a typical Doug Wright mainly because it’s a pleasure boat not a raceboat,” he continued. “It doesn’t have a full interior—we opted for four Sparco racing seats—but it has a stereo system, intercom communications and all kinds of anodized hardware, including a cool carbon-fiber trim-switch handle and panel we made in house. It’s about 300 pounds heavier than a 32-foot raceboat because the bulkheads and stringers were reinforced and because the owner wanted a little more range so the boat was modified to accommodate two 100-gallon fuel tanks instead of the standard 60-gallon tanks.”
Old 11-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

To a NON racer 300 lb doesn't seem like much but to a racer that could be the difference between wining and loosing , even if it's 1 mph difference
Old 11-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
While I appreciate your point, I'd have to gently disagree.

From the story:

"The boat is a little heavier than a typical Doug Wright mainly because it’s a pleasure boat not a raceboat,” he continued. “It doesn’t have a full interior—we opted for four Sparco racing seats—but it has a stereo system, intercom communications and all kinds of anodized hardware, including a cool carbon-fiber trim-switch handle and panel we made in house. It’s about 300 pounds heavier than a 32-foot raceboat because the bulkheads and stringers were reinforced and because the owner wanted a little more range so the boat was modified to accommodate two 100-gallon fuel tanks instead of the standard 60-gallon tanks.”
Really not helping your point with "sparco racing seats and carbon fiber trim" lol!
Old 11-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
Really not helping your point with "sparco racing seats and carbon fiber trim" lol!
Sparco seats and carbon fiber trim define a "raceboat?" Come on Paul, you know way better than that.

Have you looked inside of the big poker run catamarans with full canopies lately? They are not raceboats, in essence or otherwise, but they often have raceboat-like features such as five-point restraints, Sparco seats and carbon fiber trim. Also, raceboat hardware tends to be limited to only the essentials, not "all kinds of anodized."
Old 11-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Matt
I have to say I have personally seen the boat and not to take anything away from it but there is not much hardware on that boat and other than the 2 seats in the back and the extra weight from tanks, stringers etc for the 400's it is a close to a race boat as you can get.
Again it really does not matter either way as it is a great run. Let's all keep in mind the 124 was with 2 guys and not much fuel. Let's add fuel, people, coolers, anchor, chain, fenders, ropes, maybe a tool box and see what she does as these are all items that are in my boat on a daily basis.
I would guess that boat weighs around 4500lbs in comparison to Steve's Skater at 5500lbs. Skater has twice the cockpit and full interior that will seat 6 people. Both are beautiful boats and would love to own either one.
Just my 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.