Miami Vice season 2 Scarab changes hands

Old 02-15-2016, 07:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab kv
I introduced myself on Thursday.
Pretty much blew me off like a bad dream lol
Pretty poor attitude, it's not like you are some starry eyed geek trying to snag an autograph. I think I'd have given him an earful and pulled him down a notch or two.

How nice was his boat? Was it everything you were expecting and the bigger question, will yours be better?

RR
Old 02-15-2016, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 632 Likes on 257 Posts

Just by reading his website he sounds like a Giant Tool.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bino
Really, he blew you off?
Originally Posted by Speedracer29
That's really unfortunate. Had I been there, I would have dropped a deuce in his priceless boat's Thetford. (Mostly for the ability to say I crapped on a TV star, but also in defense of your honor.)

When he started the initial media frenzy about the appearance of the boat, it was so over sensationalized with fictitious facts and half truths, it was sickening.
It was stated in the Miami Herold, that the car was used in the show, even though it's just a very accurate clone.

As a co founder and the historian for the Vice Scarab fb page, I just shook my head at how little he knew about the boat when people would ask questions, but it was fun to watch him squirm though.
We've worked hard to put these boats back on the radar, to the point where the boating community has rekindled an old admiration for them and people with the means to restore them are beginning to seek them out.
Tony from our page did reach out to him, to tone it down a bit.
He's boasting to build the most accurate and informative page ever about the boat and then his publicist reaches out and requests all the info and history we have on his boat. Not sure what his agenda is, but it sure isn't preserving the history.
I've spent a good share of my adult life chasing these boats and their history, countless hours talking to the who's who at Wellcraft, employees from plant 4, tracking down previous dealers, owners, etc...and loved every minute of it, but I'm not about to share it with someone, if it's for their profit.....enjoy the ride.
On Thursday, my friend Tom who restored the boat and myself went over to check things out. When Tom introduced himself, he was immediately asked for any restoration pics and info.....skip the small talk.

I did get a chance to talk with Olivia at length on Thursday before all the reenactments pics started.
On Saturday, she said she was starting to get a little weirded out.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 250 Posts

from the site ( collect preserve restore), except for the engines hyd steering teal inner t-assy plates and so on. i would have the( this boat was used) placard on the dash dusted for dons fingerprints cuz you know that was there from day 1
that boat would have been better off going to the tank restorer guys on the military channel , then i'd brag museum piece
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Pretty poor attitude, it's not like you are some starry eyed geek trying to snag an autograph. I think I'd have given him an earful and pulled him down a notch or two.

How nice was his boat? Was it everything you were expecting and the bigger question, will yours be better?

RR
But I am a geek

Tom did a beautiful job on that boat. He and I both agreed that it's starting to get a little rough around the edges though.
Just little things, but should be dealt with just the same. We both agreed that we would've never showed it in a venue like that without cleaning up the details first.

Will mine be better? That's tough to answer. It depends on what one's preference is, to answer that.
The quality of his work and attention to detail is top notch. His boat was missing somethings and the original engines were long gone, so he went the custom route.
Mine is complete and we'll be going for a numbers matching historically correct.

Tom is currently restoring Betty Cook's KAAMA boat. That one will be historically correct.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551070[/ATTACH]

I just had to do it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551071[/ATTACH]

L-R Tom Jewsbury - Vice/KAAMA resto, myself, Randy Ott - Vice Edition/FB page, Tony Ierardi - Vice Edition/FB page

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551072[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Miami Vice season 2 Scarab changes hands-12715710_1044345415588967_3450582810260300130_n.jpg   Miami Vice season 2 Scarab changes hands-12741873_1044354318921410_865625624027894317_n.jpg   Miami Vice season 2 Scarab changes hands-dsc02289.jpg  

Last edited by scarab kv; 02-15-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:17 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost want to apologize for him in some strange way. That being said, I'm sure everyone on this thread including myself are glad you are the gentleman that ended up with this boat. Please excuse my ignorance, but who is Betty Cook and what is, or what does KAAMA stand for?
Myself I want to know the true history and look so forward to following the restoration. Do you plan to use the boat or what are your plans? I would like to see the boat before and after. Like a lot of people on this tread, that boat is what in maybe a small way got me started in this sport. I wish you the very best in your project and hope you enjoy every minute which I'm sure you will.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked out his site. Definitely a tool. Sad that the boat will be exploited for nothing more than personal ego and a few passing attempts to get laid.

Once his schtick runs cold, perhaps he'll sell it for less than the perceived value
Old 02-16-2016, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
Checked out his site. Definitely a tool. Sad that the boat will be exploited for nothing more than personal ego and a few passing attempts to get laid.

Once his schtick runs cold, perhaps he'll sell it for less than the perceived value
What is the website?
Old 02-16-2016, 08:26 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 290 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Bino
I almost want to apologize for him in some strange way. That being said, I'm sure everyone on this thread including myself are glad you are the gentleman that ended up with this boat. Please excuse my ignorance, but who is Betty Cook and what is, or what does KAAMA stand for?
Myself I want to know the true history and look so forward to following the restoration. Do you plan to use the boat or what are your plans? I would like to see the boat before and after. Like a lot of people on this tread, that boat is what in maybe a small way got me started in this sport. I wish you the very best in your project and hope you enjoy every minute which I'm sure you will.

another one of the most iconic Scarabs ever . . . . .

I've also notice that whenever the owners speak of the MV Scarab in this thread it is as if it is the only one. As in " the original Miami Vice boat" . . . . . :confused" . . . .
Attached Thumbnails Miami Vice season 2 Scarab changes hands-38-kaama-scarab-betty-cook-1887.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-16-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:38 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 290 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
. . . . for nothing more than personal ego and a few passing attempts to get laid.

wait a minute . . . . thats like the sole reason i even have one of these over priced ridiculous money pits . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.