Notices

Poker Run Newbie

Old 01-13-2016, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nothing like the start of your first poker run, it's very exciting and a bit overwhelming. Here is my advice for your first one. Find another boat or a few boats that plan on running your speed and run with them in a group. That way you're not running by yourself which you could do any day. If you know your speed is going to be slower than most ,start towards the rear of the pack or towards the outside. There is no doubt it can be a bit intimidating if you start up front and have 40 plus boats passing you at high speeds. Whenever you're boating in a crowd make sure you hold your line and make sure your moves are predictable by others. Run your own pace, it's easy to get caught up in the race environment and run the boat harder than you normally would.

Last edited by billy boats; 01-13-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
Dude, like I said, I was jackin with you over taking the jet express deal. Sorry if I pissed you off. Won't happen again sir.
No harm no foul! I have been laughing ever since Dave started that thread.... Someday, there will be a post about Dave,,,, but your good man, no worries....
Old 01-13-2016, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 353 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
You don't have to be big or fast to have fun in some Poker Runs. I've run my 22' Progression in the Rochester Offshore Battleship Run (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/p...himrod-ny.html) on nearby Seneca Lake since 1996 and my 20' Checkmate for a number of years before that. Never had a problem and always had a blast. Sure there are bigger and faster boats in the run, but since a well run Poker Run is not a race, speed shouldn't matter. If you stay away from the "big buck / big boat" runs to start with, you should gain the confidence you need to eventually attend even the biggest runs.

BTW, you will find that there's a forum here specifically for Poker Runs.
You can't do any better for a first Poker Run. A wide range of boats and speeds plus a great bunch of people.

Padraig
Old 01-13-2016, 09:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 824 Likes on 384 Posts

Just pick the right runs. There are plenty of runs that are about the comraderie more so than showing off.

My boat is slow and all the runs I've done I've run abou 50mph 99% of the time......

You will have a good time and meet some good people I'd bet no matter what run you do.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second all these guys. Just do it, and you'll have a blast!

The only runs I've wondered about are the FPC ones. I've never been to one so I'm not knocking them, but when I watch the videos, all I see are 350k+ boats! I wonder how the little guys (100k and less) are treated there.

This might be a good starter run for you. Could be nearly 100 boats this year - mostly smaller and medium boats with some big dogs in the mix. http://mkgpowerboat.weebly.com Just a small an informal poker run - intentionally not like Boyne or some of the other big ones.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 517 Likes on 237 Posts

We got started in our old 26 Scarab...Yes, it was intimidating but we made a ton of new friends and everyone was there to help us through it. The first one we did the water was extremely rough and big and we had nothing but accolades for our nerve to run our boat in those water conditions...slow as it was we stuck with it. Go for it...you will have a blast. With our new to us Fastech, yes its faster and 9' longer giving for a way better ride but we don't run WOT...we are planning on coming up to NY this coming summer. Stay in touch and we will run with you all day if you want some support.

Chris
Old 01-14-2016, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a 18' classic Donzi that runs almost every poker run at LOTO. Looks like a wild ride but he knows how to handle the slop in that little boat!
Old 01-14-2016, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Some runs have speed classes, which will help you to not run so fast. At our first run, we partied a little too late the night before - woke up late, missed our class, and was forced to run in the slowest class (cruisers) and passing the pace boat will get you disqualified. It was too slow for me, but my wife loved it.
We typically run half throttle speed and join that particular class usually. It's about enjoying your day, your company, and your boat - there will always be a faster boat out there.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:24 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

There will always be someone in a bigger faster boat.... run what you have & enjoy the show!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

Check into the charity runs. They tend to draw a wider range of boats. Lake Lanier and Tickfaw are huge runs with a wide variety of boats and stops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.