Notices

Poker Run Newbie

Old 01-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Poker Run Newbie

Having never done one, and having a Formula that only does 55-60mph.23'. I think I am intimidated by all the video's I've seen. The boats are all big in both size and speed. Are there ever small/slower boats involved? I would love to be a part of some of these runs. Maybe if I hit the lottery. Thanks!!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Slow little 22 foot boat doing boyne thunder, one of the big dog poker runs. I have done it the last 2 years in my little boat and have been treated GREAT by everyone and had a blast. Do NOT be afraid to go have fun!! Hell I even had the winning hand 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PoeXjbdn9I
Old 01-13-2016, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 395 Likes on 165 Posts

And do not be afraid to call your mom if things get too uncomfortable.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:28 PM
Registered

You know I'm ****n with you Rob. You got big balls brother.

Last edited by payuppsucker; 01-13-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do the Lake Cumberland Thunder run every year In my 24 Outlaw, it is a great run and i hsve a blast every year and im treated no different than the guys with the biggest and fastest boats. their are more boats in my class than in any other.but most pics and video you see are the big boys running. ( that's what everyone wants to see) get out and try one, you will enjoy it if it's anything like the Cumberland Thunder run!!
Old 01-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Slow little 22 foot boat doing boyne thunder, one of the big dog poker runs. I have done it the last 2 years in my little boat and have been treated GREAT by everyone and had a blast. Do NOT be afraid to go have fun!! Hell I even had the winning hand 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PoeXjbdn9I
Awesome run
Old 01-13-2016, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 76 Posts

You don't have to be big or fast to have fun in some Poker Runs. I've run my 22' Progression in the Rochester Offshore Battleship Run (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/p...himrod-ny.html) on nearby Seneca Lake since 1996 and my 20' Checkmate for a number of years before that. Never had a problem and always had a blast. Sure there are bigger and faster boats in the run, but since a well run Poker Run is not a race, speed shouldn't matter. If you stay away from the "big buck / big boat" runs to start with, you should gain the confidence you need to eventually attend even the biggest runs.

BTW, you will find that there's a forum here specifically for Poker Runs.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
And do not be afraid to call your mom if things get too uncomfortable.

So here is the deal, my mom and dad got divorced when I was like 2 and my step dad (who I call dad) has been there since I can remember. As for my sense of adventure and "balls" My Dad avoided vietnam by joining the peace corp and going to Africa, upon returning he was a high school art teacher (though he eventually went to work for GM) My Mom on the other hand owned a couple corvettes, raced cars and taught me to man up when I skined my knees wiping out trying to be evel knievel jumping trash cans on my bike.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buffalo poker run in August or check out elite poker runs on Facebook as they have two runs this year in the area as well. As stated above the Rochester guys also put on a great run.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
So here is the deal, my mom and dad got divorced when I was like 2 and my step dad (who I call dad) has been there since I can remember. As for my sense of adventure and "balls" My Dad avoided vietnam by joining the peace corp and going to Africa, upon returning he was a high school art teacher (though he eventually went to work for GM) My Mom on the other hand owned a couple corvettes, raced cars and taught me to man up when I skined my knees wiping out trying to be evel knievel jumping trash cans on my bike.
Dude, like I said, I was jackin with you over taking the jet express deal. Sorry if I pissed you off. Won't happen again sir.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.