Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Pulling the boat to Florida! Tips for night time >

Pulling the boat to Florida! Tips for night time

Notices

Pulling the boat to Florida! Tips for night time

Old 02-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 803 Likes on 453 Posts

Generally, when I hauled to/from Florida or the southern states, I pulled the props and hardware and taped the splines under a rag and then shrunk wrapped the top and sides of the boat down over the drives.... when I would stop for a rest during the day (I'm another night runner) - no one paid any attention to the boat and it arrives clean and ready to splash. Never had an issue crossing borders wrapped up tight but have had open boats searched (personal and CV hauls).

I always trailer with a spare... seen where one poor buggar came back to his vehicle and found someone else needed his trailer tire more than he did and took the lugs too.. in broad daylight at the boat launch in lauderdale.

pack like a boy scout and your fine if anything happens
Old 02-10-2016, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you! Laser temp gun ordered!
Lizards=hookers?
As for the 81, how does the truck traffic harm? I'l be travelling during day Time. What' a worst? Régular traffic from Baltimore to Richmond or truck traffic on 81?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 813 Likes on 376 Posts

Just power through the Baltimore/DC thing. You just have to grin and bear it...... I've tried to get creative on it and finally come to the realization that you should just pick your head up, stick your chest out and deal with it.

My tip - plenty of spare tires, tools, chains to chain up an axle if you have to, and when 3 drunk college kids pull up beside you at 1:00 yelling "hey bro you're missing a wheel" give them the benefit of the doubt and pull over to have a look.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by JS232
Thank you! Laser temp gun ordered!
Lizards=hookers?
As for the 81, how does the truck traffic harm? I'l be travelling during day Time. What' a worst? Régular traffic from Baltimore to Richmond or truck traffic on 81?
It's all mountainous, and predominantly two lanes. You get trucks that have to slow to 40-ish MPH on grades, and then you fight left lane traffic to get around them. There are a few slow lanes, but then they merge back into traffic. Hauling on this stretch is a real bear; and IMHO, it's overly hard on the tow vehicle.

Then you end up with two Fedex and UPS trucks hauling doubles that decide to drag race for 8 fricking miles; when they both have governors at 65 MPH.
(BTW, these may or may not be OSO members doing this. You know who you are!!!)

Eric, is right, just go with 95 and suck it up.
BTW, South Carolina I-95 sucks too.

Also, download and use Waze on your phone. Best GPS/live traffic/crowdsourcing App ever.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Also, road trip while towing? Air Horns baby.
www.hornblasters.com

The best $800 bucks I've ever spent on a vehicle.
Hell, I had to install some on my GF's Infiniti she likes them on my trucks so much.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the trip to Florida twice from Wisconsin. Here's my list.
1- Nitrogen in my trailer tires to help the long trip heating.
2 -Inferred gun. Check immediately every time you stop for gas or etc.
3- 2 sets of extra bearings, grease, rags, disposable gloves and brake clean.
4- 2 spares tires. I lost one every trip.
5- portable motion alarm. If someone were to enter you cabin while at the hotel this will sound.

Opinion - A cross brace protecting the drives adds a sense of security. It's almost a guaranty some jack ass will be drafting you in the mountains for better gas mileage. Also, i decided never to make the trip until i got rid of the surge brake system and installed EOH. The trailer will push you and engage the trailer brakes going down steep grades. I got caught in heavy rain going down a steep grade and wasn't very happy about it.

Have fun though it's worth the trip! I can't wait to do it again. Best vacations hands down!

AB
Old 02-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Registered

Yup what everyone else said about breakdowns, tools, spares etc. If you going to drive the 95 corridor from N.Y. to D.C. Make sure you have a lot of cash for tolls. South of Md. Fuel is a little cheaper with cash and fill up in VA. (I think it was exit 7) Fuel is a lot cheaper. N.C. prices are crazy. If you hit the N.J. to D.C. leg at night you can miss a lot of traffic but construction zones might get you. And a coffee thermos.

Last edited by fordf350; 02-10-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Take advantage of low volume traffic times through cities as much as you can. It really helps your total travel time. After towing our 44 trailer back and forth from Michigan to Florida, we have found we like night driving. Temperatures are cooler, light traffic, maximum speeds with less slow downs even in construction zones you have more elbow room so to speak. Battery lug wrench, good spare. A guy I know carries a Sawzall so he can cut the flat tire off if he runs out of spares, and make it to the next town slowly without dragging the tire and leaving the wheel on. Infrared gun to check temps and some good coffee when you get fuel.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Some great info here. Load up the tools, bearings, tires, jack, blocks, infrared gun, grease, etc. You may make it without incident, but I doubt it. Just prepared for a trailer problem. I too like running at night because there is less traffic and lower temperatures. If you have a problem...not so good at night. Take that risk depending on how confident you are in your equipment and how ready you are to handle it. Driving by yourself and fixing problems, makes it even more difficult.

.As far as hotels, I always ask the front desk if I can park my rig right up front and tell them if they see anyone but me messing with the boat call the cops.
Being prepared is huge ! Take note of every post on this thread.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Having done this a few times, I prefer the I81 route over the traffic from NY - Richmond on I95. Id rather deal with the hills than the ahole drivers and congestion on I95. Purchase an 18V impact gun. Worth every penny when you are pulled over and messing with a lug wrench as semi's blow by at 70..

As for sleep, I can't sleep at the rest areas and Id rather spend a few bucks for a hotel than arrive all strung out from lack of sleep. One other thing - I found Trucker Path (free app) was very handy as it has great information on nearby fuel stops. Nothing worse than getting off with a trailer and having to mess around in a small gas station trying to fit in near the pumps..

Sounds like a great trip!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.